• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Legitimate question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'll wade in on the topic of our offense and whether it's holding back. I hope not. Waiting until the 12th game of the season to break out the majority of our offensive plays, etc. seems like a recipe for disaster. At this point, the entire playbook better be installed.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 hours ago, ArmyBull said:

I see the ucf posters are increasing. 

They always do when they win a few games.  Lose and they disappear.  Wonder why?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I'll wade in on the topic of our offense and whether it's holding back. I hope not. Waiting until the 12th game of the season to break out the majority of our offensive plays, etc. seems like a recipe for disaster. At this point, the entire playbook better be installed.

I don't think we are holding back particular plays anymore.  Although Gilbert did acknowledge we weren't using the entire playbook the first couple of games.  I think it is more that the play calling is more conservative, and we are no doubt protecting Flowers a bit in these games that we have well in hand.  We have had some conservative 4th down play calls, punting and field goals when UCF would go for it.  We aren't trying hard to run the score up on anyone, unlike the Knats.  Things is, we can do that because our defense is better. 

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

This thread cracks me up, but I guess it's what these boards are for.  Imagine the same thread a week ago between Clemson and Cuse fans.  We really don't know and nor does it matter.  Will have to play the game.  The year UCF had Bortles the score was 23-20 and the game was at UCF and USF was horrible. Should be fun.  Let's hope both teams stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I don't think we are holding back particular plays anymore.  Although Gilbert did acknowledge we weren't using the entire playbook the first couple of games.  I think it is more that the play calling is more conservative, and we are no doubt protecting Flowers a bit in these games that we have well in hand.  We have had some conservative 4th down play calls, punting and field goals when UCF would go for it.  We aren't trying hard to run the score up on anyone, unlike the Knats.  Things is, we can do that because our defense is better. 

I have no beef with being smart, the season is a marathon, not a sprint. QF's health is of much bigger concern to me than a few points here or there. We're deep enough in the season that, at this point, winning is the biggest goal and style points come a distant second. If we win out and beat UCF, everything else falls in line with playing for the CCG. Win that, and the bowl game is ours.

Side note, and not meant to stir **** up, but what happens if we make the CCG and lose? Imagine if Navy wins out from here and Memphis loses another conference game. Entirely possible. We lose to Navy in the CCG and they still end up ranked below an 11-1 UCF team coming off a close loss to us where we're something like #9 and #11 coming into Black Friday. Those ******* could still end up taking the big bowl game despite our beating them. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

32 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I have no beef with being smart, the season is a marathon, not a sprint. QF's health is of much bigger concern to me than a few points here or there. We're deep enough in the season that, at this point, winning is the biggest goal and style points come a distant second. If we win out and beat UCF, everything else falls in line with playing for the CCG. Win that, and the bowl game is ours.

Side note, and not meant to stir **** up, but what happens if we make the CCG and lose? Imagine if Navy wins out from here and Memphis loses another conference game. Entirely possible. We lose to Navy in the CCG and they still end up ranked below an 11-1 UCF team coming off a close loss to us where we're something like #9 and #11 coming into Black Friday. Those ******* could still end up taking the big bowl game despite our beating them. 

Highest ranked G5 Champion. In your scenario probably San Diego State

31 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Highest ranked G5 Champion. In your scenario probably San Diego State

Is it highest ranked G5 champ or just highest ranked?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I am willing to bet that when we play C there will not be three consecutive running plays on the five yard line. There will be a pass and/or Q on a rollout. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

15 hours ago, UCFKnight04 said:

The conference representation in the penalties category speaks for itself.   Everyone can clean up a bit but officiating plays a role.  American "power" trip in the stripes.

Im getting a chuckle about CCS "holding back" as a factor in this topic.  Do you really think UCF is running up the score to the best of our ability in these games?   Starters are coming out early and heck Cincinnati ended after 3Q and we still put up more points without any defensive or special teams points in that same.   Cincinnatis points were higher than they should have been partially because it quick strike offense didn't give much time for the defense to make adjustments and they were out there almost as long as if we had a 3 and out offense

We know this feeling all to well... see USF, 2016. I think that us and Navy are really your only threats this year, if you want to be terrified though, watch our game with Temple last year. Flowers played well enough, but, when the other team plays keep-away, it neutralizes your offense.

Navy is currenly No. 1 in the nation in time of possession, holding the ball an average of 36 minutes per game. If you guys jump out on them big like we did last year, it's huge. If they get a couple of stops early and then just trudge down the field killing clock, it could be difficult to get things rolling. I still think you guys win, but, this is likely your only test until black friday. Our game with Navy last year was a wild ride as well. We did jump out to an early lead, but, they charged back and made it interesting. They also cut your defenders and it's hard to get over that hurdle even for a good defense.

We are no. 30 in TOP, by comparison, last year, we were no. 114. I think that is to our benefit for the game as we will try to wear your defense down and keep your offense off the field. 

Meanwhile, we have to get by Houston and Tulane. I am a bit concerned about both for different reasons.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

11 hours ago, JTrue said:

Is it highest ranked G5 champ or just highest ranked?

I didn't dig real deep but couldn't find anything official that said it needed to be a conf champ, only highest ranked by CFP ...