• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Capital H said:

If you take the comments made by the committee at face value none. They have gone on record as saying they ignore all rankings until it's time to put out theirs. 

Hopefully that really is what they do because that's the way it should be done by all serious polls.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

If they expand the playoff they aren't throwing an automatic berth to the G5. IMO that is what makes the NCAA tournament exciting. You can watch Kansas be a 1-3 seed and get knocked out by a double digit seed **** near ever year. 12-14 seeds knocking out top seeds is fairly common in the NCAA tournament. G5 teams beating P5 teams in BCS/NY6 bowls is the norm. Why would they give G5 teams a shot at the playoff? They want to control the matchups and get Alabama in every year since they are a cash cow.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

G5 teams beating P5 teams in BCS/NY6 bowls is the norm.

Just wondering, though, in the P5 era, what is the G5 regular season record versus top 10 P5's?

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Just wondering, though, in the P5 era, what is the G5 regular season record versus top 10 P5's?

2017 UCF vs #7 Auburn - W

2016 Western Michigan vs. #8 Wisconsin - L

2015 Houston vs #9 Florida State - W

2014 Boise State vs. #10 Arizona - W

2013 UCF vs #6 Baylor - W

2010 TCU vs #5 Wisconsin - W

2008 Utah vs #4 Alabama - W

2007 Hawaii vs #5 Georgia - L

2006 Boise State vs #9 Oklahoma - W

Either 6-2 or 7-2 depending if you include UCF in 2013 in the first year of the American which is a G5 conference but had the Big East AQ spot.

Edit: Realized you said regular season record. Hmm that would be interesting to see.

Edited by bullsfan1983

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

My guess is that top-10 P5 teams have not played let's just say the top-10 to 15 programs from the G5 in the regular season... so, you may have Alabama beating up on Western Kentucky or Southern Miss, but, that's not the same as say Ohio State playing USF or Boise? There's really no good way to track it except for the bowl games I think...

Because Clemson and Bama have been up there the last few years, I took a look at their schedules...

Clemson Non-Conf...

2013 - Georgia, south carolina state, citadel, south carolina

2014 - Georgia, south carolina state, Ga State, south carolina

2015 - Wofford, App State, Notre Dame, south carolina

2016 - Auburn, Troy, SC State, SC

2017 - Kent, Auburn, Citadel, south carolina

Bama Non-Conf

2013 - VPI, Colorado State, Ga State, Chattanooga

2014 - WVU, FAU, Southern Miss, W Carolina

2015 - Wisc, MTSU, UL Monroe, Charleston Southern

2016 - USC, W Kentucky, Kent, Chattanooga

2017 - FSU, Fresno, Colorado State, Mercer

I don't really have time to do more, but, you can see that the "big boys" will play someone else from a P% conference because a loss won't hurt that bad, and, it's usually a big money game. Then, they club baby seals. They won't take on the better G5 teams. Not that South Carolina has been good of late, but, at least Clemson has their annual rivalry game PLUS another decent opponent each year. Bama goes for so-so "big games" out of conference, but, rely on the SEC reputation to keep them at the top of the rankings.

I know Houston beat #3 Oklahoma and #3 Louisville last year in the regular season, but am not sure there have been many other matchups against top 10 P5. Tulane lost to #2 Oklahoma this year. Memphis beat #13 Ole Miss in 2015. Would be tough to compile a record and not sure it would mean much since you are talking all of G5 vs the top 10 teams. I doubt even P5 teams would have a very favorable record against top 10 teams in general. I think the bowl record is a better indicator.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

To put together a schedule that would allow an AAC team to get into the playoffs is impossible. You would need to schedule three top ten teams (and doing this looking five years in the future). You would also, more than likely, play at their place. Of course you would also have the challenge of actually beating those three teams. Next, you would have to go undeafeted in conference play. With all of that, it still may not be enough.  

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

To put together a schedule that would allow an AAC team to get into the playoffs is impossible. You would need to schedule three top ten teams (and doing this looking five years in the future). You would also, more than likely, play at their place. Of course you would also have the challenge of actually beating those three teams. Next, you would have to go undeafeted in conference play. With all of that, it still may not be enough.  

I think Houston had a chance last year as they had 2 #3 teams scheduled out of conference and beat them both. They would have been on the radar but tripped up with the AAC conference schedule.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,338
  • Days Won:  43

What UCF is doing with the championship thing is genius. This raises more awareness that the current playoff is unfair and should be changed. The more people that protest this the better it puts pressure in the status quo. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, bullsfan1983 said:

I think Houston had a chance last year as they had 2 #3 teams scheduled out of conference and beat them both. They would have been on the radar but tripped up with the AAC conference schedule.

I know that is the conventional opinion but I think they would have been at #5. I can’t see them knocking off one loss teams Ohio State and Washington. Again, I can’t give the bias of a playoff committee that much credit.