• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Because the AAC schools keep the elite programs truely elite because we compete for recruits from the non-elite "P5" programs.

Think about it. The ACC... FSU and Miami.... they get a HUGE benefit when Florida talent come to USF and UCF instead of NC state, or Boston College or wherever.  This goes for all sports. They (Miami, FSU, and SEC teams) get the elite recruits in the state, then UCF and USF get a lot of talent that would otherwise go to their opponents. If UCF and USF and Houston are pulling in classes in the 30-50 range that is pulling recruits away from all of "P5" that recruit that same level... it's awesome for the money schools, the FSUs and Longhorns of college football because it weakens the non money schools in their conference, but awful or the Texas Techs and the NC states out there. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

57 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

You know why I like the P6 thing? It bugs the P5 people. It makes them uncomfortable. They want the P5 thing to be settled and for everyone to just accept it.

We shouldn't. Especially when 1/2 to 3/4 of the teams in the P5, when it really comes down to it (talent and competitiveness), aren't really "power" anything. At least not more "power" than anyone else.

I mean, are Alabama and Kansas really both "power" schools? Nope. Texas and Northwestern? Nope. Florida State and Boston College? Nope.

Well said. AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco has been doing a great job at what he was dealt with. P6 is a genius idea that keeps us more relevant than the other G5

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

You know why I like the P6 thing? It bugs the P5 people. It makes them uncomfortable. They want the P5 thing to be settled and for everyone to just accept it.

We shouldn't. Especially when 1/2 to 3/4 of the teams in the P5, when it really comes down to it (talent and competitiveness), aren't really "power" anything. At least not more "power" than anyone else.

I mean, are Alabama and Kansas really both "power" schools? Nope. Texas and Northwestern? Nope. Florida State and Boston College? Nope.

This 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,231
  • Days Won:  0

I rarely read links to articles like this but I am glad I took the time to read this one. Very well written.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

While I think the P6 thing would be an improvement over now, I still don't think it completely cures USF's attendance woes .... especially if the playoff format isn't changed to include all P6 conference champions. We'll still be playing teams that the Bay area fringe fans apparently aren't real enamored with. The only hope would be that a lot of the USF "fans" that abandoned the program would understand that the situation was similar to what it was before the demotion, except for the more traditional, recognizable conference brethren of back then, and climb back on board ..... if we're winning, of course.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

On 9/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, Acres Of Diamonds 01 said:

South Florida is getting a lot of love from AAC Daily by C Austin Cox. He even had HC Srong's interview.

Thanks for drawing my attention to him.

I just listened to his last two broadcasts on twitter and enjoyed them very much.

I recommend it to AAC fans in general and USF fans in particular.

https://twitter.com/AAC_Daily

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

30 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Thanks for drawing my attention to him.

I just listened to his last two broadcasts on twitter and enjoyed them very much.

I recommend it to AAC fans in general and USF fans in particular.

https://twitter.com/AAC_Daily

He was the dude that guaranteed that Memphis was going to the Big 12. Went on and on for months. His agenda did not play out. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

He was the dude that guaranteed that Memphis was going to the Big 12. Went on and on for months. His agenda did not play out. 

That's interesting. I think he was covering the B12 back then. Coincidentally, he mentioned on one of the broadcast which I just listened to that ESPN killed the B12 expansion plan.

This link is easier to find the archived broadcasts of his show.

https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-aac-daily-with-c-austin-cox

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

More hate from BM

Give me 3 (or 4) minutes for this week’s edition of McMurphy’s Law:

The year is 2027. About seven years ago, college basketball had to be disbanded because of the corruption uncovered in the Great FBI Shakedown. College football, however, has never been more popular.

Just look around. It’s Jan. 7, 2027; a crisp, clear night in Memphis, Tenn. A capacity crowd is on hand to watch the inaugural Group of 5 national championship between Cincinnati and BYU. It's being broadcast on Amazon Prime.

After 12 long years of never getting a team in the College Football Playoff (much less not even sniffing the Top 10), the Group of 5 conferences said enough was enough and formed its own playoff. If tonight's game is any indication, it was the right move. The necessary move.

Now, back to today. Or last week actually, when I wrote that the American Athletic Conference – despite a Power 6 marketing push – is not a power conference. (Scroll down a couple of posts, you’ll see it). There are only five power conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC) because they are the only leagues with NCAA autonomy, automatic bids to the CFB Playoff bowls and gargantuan media rights deals. Not one of the Group of 5 schools has any of those perks. And never will.

My solution (call it radical, crazy, asinine) is to establish a Group of 5 playoff. I can’t take the credit – or blame – for this idea, since Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier was the first one to suggest this to me.

This is one way it could be done and what would have to happen:

* Accept the widening gap between the Power 5 and Group of 5: This is undoubtedly the biggest hurdle. Critics of a Group of 5 playoff say they don’t want to compete for a “junior varsity championship” and want to “compete at the highest level.” That’s admirable and they can still play Power 5 teams in September but the current playoff system is rigged against them. It is an illusion to believe that a Group of 5 team will ever make the CFB Playoff. The selection committee will always penalize them for their conference schedules, no matter whom they beat out of conference.

In the first three years of the playoff rankings, the highest ranked Group of 5 team was No. 13 Memphis in 2015. Just last year, Western Michigan (13-0) beat two Big Ten wins on the road (Northwestern and Illinois), but was ranked No. 15 – behind six Power 5 teams that were 9-3 and one 8-4 team.

“There is absolutely no ability for (Group of 5 schools) to be in that national title conversation,” Frazier told me last year. “That's just reality. Anyone that says we can: That's a flat-out lie.”

* Revenue: Currently each Group of 5 league receives about $17 million from the College Football Playoff, with the one conference advancing to the New Year’s 6 bowl getting an additional $6 million. By comparison, the Power 5 conferences rake in between $75 million to $120 million annually.

Although none would go on the record, several sources at Power 5 schools told me they would be in favor of the Group of 5 creating its own playoff (opening another New Year’s 6 bowl spot for a Power 5 team) and felt confident the Power 5 conferences would actually find a way to increase the Group of 5’s overall revenue by “not” being part of the CFB Playoff.

Several Group of 5 officials, who didn’t want to be identified, favor a G5 playoff if the current financial agreement increased. “If we had the opportunity to package a Group of 5 championship, why wouldn't we want to do it?” one source said. “It would spread the exposure to all five conferences, rather than just the one conference champ that plays in a New Year's 6 bowl.”

* How would a Group of 5 playoff be structured: The CFB Playoff selection committee would continue to provide FBS rankings and the four highest ranked teams among the Group of 5 conference champions and independents (BYU, Army, UMass, New Mexico State, Liberty) would qualify for the four-team playoff.

* Access to Power 5 playoff: If, by chance, a Group of 5 team was ever in the overall top four in the final ranking, it would automatically qualify for the Power 5 playoff and the next highest ranked Group of 5 conference champ or independent would take its place in the Group of 5 playoff.

* What happens to the other bowls: Nothing, really. The current bowl system features 40 bowls, including the title game. Of the 33 non-playoff/New Year’s 6 bowls, 17 are Power 5 vs. Power 5, 13 are Group of 5 vs. Group of 5 and only three (Military, Birmingham and Las Vegas) pits the Power 5 vs. the Group of 5.

Those bowls could keep their existing conference tie-ins with any interested Group of 5 only bowls used on a rotating basis as the Group of 5 semifinal sites. The championship could be at an existing bowl site on a permanent or rotating basis.

I know a lot of Group of 5 officials are holding out hope that the next CFB Playoff contract, starting with the 2026 regular season, will expand the playoffs to eight teams. In theory that would consist of each Power 5 champion, two at-large teams and the Group of 5’s highest ranked champ. But there’s no guarantee (a) the playoff expands to eight or (b) that the Group of 5 would automatically get one of those bids, if the playoff did expand.

Right now, every division of college football has a national championship: Power 5, FCS, Division II, Division III, NAIA and junior college. “Every division,” Frazier said, “except the Group of 5.”

Call me crazy, but perhaps one day that will change.

One commenter brought up the Bulls:

Joe Dunn As a fan and alum of USF, this idea hits home with me. It is sad, however that the Bulls will never play on a level field with seversl other state teams. 
However, I think I would prefer to be USF with our financial limitations than be Illinois or Vanderbilt, who reside in awesome conferences but always suck at football.

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 7 hrs
Manage
Brett McMurphy
Brett McMurphy It's a tough situation for schools like USF, who are better than a lot of Power 5 schools but not able to get in the P5 club for various reasons. The biggest issue is how the G5 schools will survive long term trying to keep up with the P5 schools when they don't have the same revenue streams

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I still think Houston could have made it on their schedule last year if they had run the table.  Yeah, that's one of those things that we'll never know, but it will always be my belief.  With the right schedule, I think a G5 could probably make it.  Does it suck that it's not the same for P5 schools, in that they can lose 1-2 games and still play for a title?  Yeah, it does.  It's not fair, but life isn't always fair either.  

I don't like the idea of a G5 playoff, it goes against everything we're trying to do with the P6 movement, and basically concedes and ends all discussion.  I'm with TallyBull, keep it going because it irritates the P5 schools.  

I'm even more against the idea of a G5 playoff because McAssClown is for one.  Anything he's for regarding realignment or playoffs, USF fans and G5 fans should be against.  

• Upvote 1