• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Never Thought I Would Say This...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think once our receivers start catching the ball consistently the defenses will start respecting our passing game and open up more running lanes. 

Our offense will be fine. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

36 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

The Gulf Coast offense is flourishing in Oregon... without Q at the helm. 

Not sure what you want to call the offense Oregon is running but it's not what he ran here with Q. The Duck qb has 3 rushes for 11 yards and although I've been nodding off and on, haven't seen that many bubble screens and jet sweeps. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not sure what you want to call the offense Oregon is running but it's not what he ran here with Q. The Duck qb has 3 rushes for 11 yards and although I've been nodding off and on, haven't seen that many bubble screens and jet sweeps. 

I saw a gang of bubble screens in the last drive.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

26 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I've seen tons of bubble screens. Taggart uses them to suck the defense in and then he goes over the top with a pump fake to the outside. He always keeps the defense guessing. I've seen a couple of jet sweeps as well.

he is playing chess out there. moving his pieces into open space. setting up his next move. always looking for the big play downfield. attacking.

Gilbert plays checkers. no misdirection. just tries to run between the tackles and throw hooks, hitches, etc. almost all underneath stuff. he doesn't try to go over the top of a defense. rarely uses speed and height on the outside downfield.

Edited by Bull94

The approaches may be different, but in watching a few Texas games from last year and our first two games this year, the problem for us in the downfield game has been the early drops. 

Complete those balls early and those defenses are on their heels and we have space to run. 

In the first game if Scantling makes the catch early it is a different beginning. Salomon makes the early catch in game 2 then Stonybrook isn't bottling up the running lanes. 

Once the receivers started holding on to the ball we were moving the ball just fine. 

I still think we simply ran a basic no frills offense against Stonybrook. Every other gamw of a Gilbert offense they were lining up and snapping. Not so much in that game. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

It's a high powered offense that utilizes bubble screens but it's not the high powered offense he ran here. Their qb had 24 rushing yards for the year up until that last run.

Edited by Triple B

Leavitt's defense saved Taggart's butt today. If he would have had any of the OC's he had here he loses. 

Taggart's offense is about getting the ball in playmaker's hands. When the other team has equal speed and athletic talent you need the added element that Flowers brought. 

I still think our offense will be just as prolific. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

3 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Looks like it was Willies offense and he was running it all along. No offensive support staff made it to Oregon. Even Reaves is gone

lol . Actually it is now his offense thanks to them. His plan when he became USF coach was his smash mouth power runs. Harlan &  Kinnen gave him some good advice about GCO and now he is an offensive wizard 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

54 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

lol . Actually it is now his offense thanks to them. His plan when he became USF coach was his smash mouth power runs. Harlan &  Kinnen gave him some good advice about GCO and now he is an offensive wizard 

Harlan didn't have anything to do with the offense.

So what he contacted his mentor on some plays to use.

The GCO is Taggart's baby epidatsit. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

I think once our receivers start catching the ball consistently the defenses will start respecting our passing game and open up more running lanes. 

Our offense will be fine. 

That would help, but not as much as the OLD learning how to.block...