• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Calm down, waaaay too much panic.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Like I have said the biggest thing I saw was the lack of the deep ball attempt .... and I also said, could have been some deep ones called but q wasn't able to wait around for it to break.

Could very well be why Strong made the comments about Q needing better protection. 

#77's blocking on run and pass was a big problem all game. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Wow, an obsessed fan found a bad play.  Definitive proof that Gilbert is an idiot.

Other things that guy left out:

1. Texas went from 92nd in total offense in 2015 to 16th with a true freshman QB in 2016.

2. Texas scored 35 points in this game, had 548 yards offense, and won

3. They scored twice on that play, out of that formation, in that game.

4. The running back there had a career high of 250 yards that day

If you take a snapshot of anyone in this world you can make them look as bad as you want.  It's what this offense does over the course of the season that is going to matter.

Edited by slowdown
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

17 minutes ago, slowdown said:

Wow, an obsessed fan found a bad play.  Definitive proof that Gilbert is an idiot.

Other things that guy left out:

1. Texas went from 92nd in total offense in 2015 to 16th with a true freshman QB in 2016.

2. Texas scored 35 points in this game, had 548 yards offense, and won

3. They scored twice on that play, out of that formation, in that game.

4. The running back there had a career high of 250 yards that day

If you take a snapshot of anyone in this world you can make them look as bad as you want.  It's what this offense does over the course of the season that is going to matter.

This!! I just think it may take a few seasons before this staff gets to where they want to be. USF fans will need to be patient 

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

24 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

This!! I just think it may take a few seasons before this staff gets to where they want to be. USF fans will need to be patient 

Why the heck would this ever be the plan? We just went through it.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Bull Daly said:

Maybe, but will they be around in a few seasons? With the talent we have, and how favorable the schedule is for us this year, it would truly suck if we squander this opportunity while screwing around with an offense that's not best suited for our personnel. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Some of us weren't expecting to live long enough to see the OCS, now I am afraid some might pass before we get the offense right.  Strange time to be a (older) Bull.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

That's really all well and good. It doesn't mean you shove the current talent that's a square peg into the round hole of the offense they'd like to run someday. Gradually morph the talent into what you believe will do the best long term, don't expect great results from talent who's been recruited for something else. This really isn't rocket science.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

4 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

This really isn't rocket science.

But it does appear to be like deja vu all over again.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

That's really all well and good. It doesn't mean you shove the current talent that's a square peg into the round hole of the offense they'd like to run someday. Gradually morph the talent into what you believe will do the best long term, don't expect great results from talent who's been recruited for something else. This really isn't rocket science.

Agreed. I was hoping to keep the GCO, or something very similar to it, around at least through the QF era. That offense was tailor-made for him. Too bad he will be spending his Senior season trying to get this offense down, which may or may not happen. Think Taggart's first year here. 2-10 without any improvement shown all season. That's what this season could potentially look like.

Looking at it the other way, we did score 42 & 31 points (albeit an unimpressive 31 points), where 17 was about the ceiling for Taggart in that first season. We have shown flashes of explosiveness against SJSU, so it doesn't feel as hopeless as watching Taggart's original offense. 

This is the worst performing OL we've had in quite some time. As lost as they've looked, this doesn't seem like it will be a quick fix. I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of the run consistently getting stuffed, and QF being forced to win games with his arm. As great as he's been in the past, not certain he can be a Marino-type gunslinger and consistently light it up without the threat of the run. QF averaged 7.7 YPC last year, 3.8 this year so far. If teams manage to limit his rushing yards, then how much better suited is he to run this offense than Kean or Olakudon? Not suggesting he's not the guy, but an accurate passer seems more important in this offense than a guy who can run. QF tends to have spells of inaccuracy sometimes. He was light-years ahead of the other QBs in the GCO. Not sure Kean couldn't have matched QFs passing numbers so far this year.