• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gilbert and Strong: What the hell were you thinking modifying the offense and throwing mechanics?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I have my fears, just like I had my fears with CWT. Eventually CWT saw the light and adapted, I just hope it's not going to take CCS a season or even another couple of games to start leveraging what clearly worked for us. But it's a good point about CCS being seasoned, I hope that won't equate to stubborn.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

6 minutes ago, dclenden said:

This is what irrelevant teams argue about... fact is buck stops at Strongs door.  Man up fans. Team sucks against two high school teams.  You want to be UCF then continue mentally masturdating arguments why everything is ok after these two outcomes over these two irrelevant opponents.  This is just sad to have to argue about near misses out stony and San Jose state.

Also this isn't a new coach.  This is a seasoned coach with more than a decade to figure in the majors how to beat the likes of Stony Brook and SJSU.  You guys sound like Holtz holdouts and the fact that you're somehow acting like we had close games with the likes of relevant teams makes me just sad.

My counter argument is a simple one. Both SJSU and Stony Brook were viewed as trash. Not worth tacking seriously. Now stop me if you heard this before... Big ranked school takes little nobody school lightly. They don't bring their A game. They run through the motions not expecting the wimpy team to be capable of putting up a fight. Now the lights come on and the little team is hitting the big boys in the mouth. Game ends up being to close for comfort, now the ranked team's fans are crying bloody murder. Then the following weekend the tank team learns its lesson and opens up a can on the following team...

We were the nobody team for our entire existence. Now we are trying to learn how to be the big kids on the block. We have at the very best an uninspiring schedule. Heaven forbid our team realizes and tries sleep walking through a game. 

As soon as you spelled UCiF wrong I had to tune you out. This is no where near the Holtz catastrophe where wee didn't have a quarterback and he was riding the coattails of Leavitt. We have a proven baller at quarterback with the majority of an 11-2 team returning. 

Forgive me if I'm a little hesitant when it comes to writing off the coaching staff and season as soon to be second worse on USF's short history. 

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

46 minutes ago, bullzfanatic said:

Everyone is freaking out but we did fix issues coming out of the first half (My analysis below). I was at the game like many of you. It was raining pretty hard from about an hour before kickoff up until about 4 minutes till halftime. We were extremely 1 dimensional and were only running because Q kept missing pretty make able throws. My concern which I still think can be fixed in Guard and Centers winning the line of scrimmage. Yes, we should have still been able to run all over them but they had a great plan in the first half to stack the box. We can grow from this. 

Drive 1 - We push through 5 plays for 25 yards and then Q throws a terrible pick on 1st down intended for either Salomon or McCants. This kills the drive

Drive 2 - TD

Drive 3 - FG

Drive 4 - TD 

Drive 5 - Punt

Drive 6 - Punt

Drive 7 - TD

We also went from 12 punts last game to 7 this game. This is progress. We just need to learn to start fast and keep going. 

Here's the video of the 3rd qtr drive that put us up 14-10. Pretty sure this is the way this offense is supposed to function ......... when executed properly. Even this successful drive was made more difficult by player mistakes.

BTW, MVS was lucky he wasn't called for offensive PI in the endzone which would have made things more interesting.

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

'Writing off coaching staff and season' -  a nice counter though something only you suggested.  Yours is a false equivalency.

Let's not continue to mentally masturbate about our two near misses against really bad teams.  I'm standing by the idea of continuous self awareness and what it will take to become relevant and it isn't arguing the merits of near misses to SJSU and Stony Brook at a home opener.

Oh how far the expectations have fallen in 8 quarters.  We went from shocking the word on NYE with our Heismann winner to the merits of near misses with the projected #8  team in the Colonial Arhletic Conference.  Ask yourself, which side of this reality are you bought into at this point?

You keep subscribing  to the merits of losing to the CAA projected #8 in the fourth quarter at your home opener and I'll keep dreaming just a bit bigger than this.

My God how rapidly expectations get reassigned, reasoning thrown away in the name of what feels good even at the expense of reality.  

We're bad, kids. Current coaches are non adaptive.  That's all that we know.  The rest is just feel good, wannabe and poor coping.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

No one was particularly happy with the productivity, but it is too early to start panicking. Let's be honest here, only an idiot would have Flowers as the featured runner in monsoon type weather on a field that was looking like it was getting ripped up against an FCS team. 

I do not want to see a repeat of Grothe vs Charleston Southern or how BJ ended his USF career.  

We won, escaped injury free, for the most part.

Let's see how the season progresses before judgements are made  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254
  • Days Won:  0

I think 8 quarters of what we've seen is sufficient to begin developing early judgement.  I'll choose data over my head in the sand.  Unless of course you also subscribe to the idea that two blocked punts was also a form of coach sandbagging so teams don't know what we're 'really' gonna do when the game 'really' counts.

This set of replies has taken me on a virtual cruise ship journey  from the land  comical to the sea of delusional to the strait of spiritual to its my final destinatiom sad and nauseous.   Either way I'm glad that none of the crew figured out I had Tito's in my case of 2 liter Poland springs I brought on board.  This journey required its use- this and the scopolamine patch. 

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, dclenden said:

I think 8 quarters of what we've seen is sufficient to begin developing early judgement.  I'll choose data over my head in the sand.  Unless of course you also subscribe to the idea that two blocked punts was also a form of coach sandbagging so teams don't know what we're 'really' gonna do when the game 'really' counts.

This set of replies has taken me on a virtual cruise ship journey  from the land  comical to the sea of delusional to the strait of spiritual to its my final destinatiom sad and nauseous.   Either way I'm glad that none of the crew figured out I had Tito's in my case of 2 liter Poland springs I brought on board.  This journey required its use- this and the scopolamine patch. 

WTF are you even talking about?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

When you get off the rocking and rolling cruise ship, you may come to realize that Q needs to throw better, o line needs to block better and receivers need to catch better. But keep drinking that contraband vodka.

Is it boring to watch? Maybe, but that's subjective.

Personally, I'm looking more at player execution as opposed to coaching. Im confident they'll work it out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  293
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, dclenden said:

Neolsky and whose your data- you're missing the story line and the point and the messaging.  Adaptation is the talking point.  Not CWT or not giving Strong enough leash or other. Front and center: what you're doing isn't working so start thinking outside the frame.

oppositional is easy- reasoning is far more difficult.  

Look. I am not at all impressed with what I have seen from the offense the last two games.  I do agree that the play calling is questionable. However, I have seen worse play calling that resulted in a loss against an fcs team and 2 and 4 win seasons.  

I am just not ready to call for heads and am willing to wait until we get into conference play. I am sure they will make some changes because everyone has a point to prove. Guess I'm running on faith.