• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF to present findings of on-campus stadium study

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

17 minutes ago, Bear said:

While, I generally agree that we do NOT need an OCS. This argument isn't the best...

UCF has been able to build some great overall facilities; and their alumni fan base is growing rapidly... Over the last 5 years; their average actual attendance has outpaced ours... 

Remember, this school ended up in the same boat since rising; we fell down to their level.

Correlation vs. causation.  

And Cincy was a school with an OCS that fell to the same level as we did.  How did having an OCS help them?

• Downvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

On 8/9/2017 at 3:31 PM, ArmyBull said:

If we built the exact same stadium as C. Florida, attendance would go up, alumni support would go up

23 hours ago, Triple B said:

If that was a certainty, or even close to a certainty, the ball would have started rolling years ago. If you have any proof that USF football attendance and alumni support is being significantly affected in a negative way by playing at RayJay over a piece of **** stadium on campus, your assistance with the feasibility study would be most helpful.

12 hours ago, ArmyBull said:

Is it impossible for you to believe that perhaps we made a mistake and should have built years ago?  Your benevolent view of our administration's decision making and your emotional response regarding Central Florida U is the reason that I blame the Orlando school for screwing us by putting up an OCS first.  If you removed every comment, from every poster, in our OCS threads regarding the complaining about C. Florida's stadium, the view on our options would improve.

I believe you have previously concurred that an OCS would increase student support as they would be "on board from the beginning."  Think if this was done 10 years ago.  Those students would now be alumni with jobs and potential donors that would have a connection with the campus and football.   

It is absolutely impossible for me to believe we made a mistake not building until someone can show some proof of that. And I'm not sure what you're getting at about the "emotional response regarding Central Florida U". My calling it a piece of **** stadium isn't because it's their stadium, it's because it's a piece of **** stadium. I do fully understand why they had to build it when they built it and why it was done on the cheap ..... and you are absolutely right to blame them for some of our views. It showed what you get when you have to go bargain hunting for a stadium and after growing up at RayJay that just wasn't going to fly.

And just to be clear, I'm hoping now that the ball appears to be really rolling, we're on our way to getting a USF worthy on campus stadium. My biggest complaint in all this is those who appear to be using the no ocs thing as a crutch for narrow minded thinking that we can't get to where we want to be without one. We can ....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It is absolutely impossible for me to believe we made a mistake not building until someone can show some proof of that. And I'm not sure what you're getting at about the "emotional response regarding Central Florida U". My calling it a piece of **** stadium isn't because it's their stadium, it's because it's a piece of **** stadium. I do fully understand why they had to build it when they built it and why it was done on the cheap ..... and you are absolutely right to blame them for some of our views. It showed what you get when you have to go bargain hunting for a stadium and after growing up at RayJay that just wasn't going to fly.

And just to be clear, I'm hoping now that the ball appears to be really rolling, we're on our way to getting a USF worthy on campus stadium. My biggest complaint in all this is those who appear to be using the no ocs thing as a crutch for narrow minded thinking that we can't get to where we want to be without one. We can ....

Curious how you know we can without one?

23 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Curious how you know we can without one?

Fair question. I guess it's because there's been nothing convincing presented that shows an ocs is required to get us to the next level, whatever that next level is to you. To me, it's sustaining where we've been the past couple years, 8+ wins, which we've been at before, but also throwing in some conference championships. Obviously others will have  higher expectations but most of them won't have a definable prerequisite of an ocs. 

2 hours ago, cmhatter said:

Additionally, I DO think it's relevant to future P5 consideration. UCF has one and we don't... the differences in our universities are relatively small and we should address any area that makes UCF a more attractive option. 

Why do you think the powers that be in a prospective P5 conference will put that much, if any, consideration into where we play our home games?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Why do you think the powers that be in a prospective P5 conference will put that much, if any, consideration into where we play our home games?

I don't think there is much out there that people can throw behind that answer outside of perception. Maybe some sort of conference-gate share (which I'm not sure exists). 

That being said, I'm sure if it IS an issue that USF has learned through the attempted Big 12 push and are currently making the moves to show we're moving towards an on campus venue.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

5 hours ago, cmhatter said:

When I go to on-campus college football games... it's unequivocally different than attending a game in an NFL stadium miles from the school. I want an OCS to get that college football feel at MY school, not someone else's. I want to tailgate at USF, not in a dale mabry parking lo

I agree with this completely. Always have, and I've been to a lot of really ****** MAC games.

That being said I think a lot of that has to do with a 35,000 crowd in a 65,000 seat stadium. Just so cavernous.

also, the school has come a long way from the stale environment they blasted in the mid 2000s to today. They've gone great lengths to make USF games more college centric.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

6 hours ago, cmhatter said:

Here's the way I see it:

When I go to on-campus college football games... it's unequivocally different than attending a game in an NFL stadium miles from the school. I want an OCS to get that college football feel at MY school, not someone else's. I want to tailgate at USF, not in a dale mabry parking lot. 

Beyond my own interests.... I have to imagine that an OCS makes a profound impact on student life. Walking to the stadium is a lot different than driving, bussing, whatever... it becomes a center piece of the university. Additionally, I DO think it's relevant to future P5 consideration. UCF has one and we don't... the differences in our universities are relatively small and we should address any area that makes UCF a more attractive option. 

Yes, it's a ton of money... but it's a long term investment in athletics, student life and the university as a whole. 

Couldn't agree more!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

7 hours ago, cmhatter said:

Here's the way I see it:

When I go to on-campus college football games... it's unequivocally different than attending a game in an NFL stadium miles from the school. I want an OCS to get that college football feel at MY school, not someone else's. I want to tailgate at USF, not in a dale mabry parking lot. 

Beyond my own interests.... I have to imagine that an OCS makes a profound impact on student life. Walking to the stadium is a lot different than driving, bussing, whatever... it becomes a center piece of the university. Additionally, I DO think it's relevant to future P5 consideration. UCF has one and we don't... the differences in our universities are relatively small and we should address any area that makes UCF a more attractive option. 

Yes, it's a ton of money... but it's a long term investment in athletics, student life and the university as a whole. 

Great post.