• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Non-sports: USF Call to All

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

Good news - we've been heard.

This is great news and all but I don't think "we" had anything to do with Scott's veto, did we ....?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

This is great news and all but I don't think "we" had anything to do with Scott's veto, did we ....?

It kind of feels good thinking that.  What are your thoughts?

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

18 minutes ago, Boomer said:

He may be a USF fan. 

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

"Should also put USF back on the path to preeminent status. This would be a huge win for USF's lobbying efforts."

Good job Rick!

Edited by NAM37
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Bull Daly said:

He may be a USF fan. 

Is he actually Cousin Rickey?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

I know it's all political and diplomatic, but EVERY local politician voted FOR the bill. All these CYA comments after the fact are BS. 

Just remember the closed door, eleventh hour shenanigans that prompted this post in the first place and none of these local politicians even knew what they were voting on. Do you want your local and State politicians voting on bills when they have no clue is in them? 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Great news!

9 hours ago, Triple B said:

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

Reminds me of Michael and Dwight thinking they saved the Scranton branch from closing. Thoughts are, potentially great news for USF and the Florida College System ... and hopefully not bad news for Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholars, wistfully thinking that I wish my knucklehead daughter had buckled down enough to be at that level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

I know it's all political and diplomatic, but EVERY local politician voted FOR the bill. All these CYA comments after the fact are BS. 

Just remember the closed door, eleventh hour shenanigans that prompted this post in the first place and none of these local politicians even knew what they were voting on. Do you want your local and State politicians voting on bills when they have no clue is in them? 

This was a minute part of that 300 page bill and I don't think any of our local politicians were involved directly in those eleven hour shenanigans but here's a little synopsis of local politician involvement from TDS article quoted earlier in the this thread ....

Negatives

• Having various Tampa Bay area legislators openly supporting/defending this change. Ahern and Galvano are at the top of the list here.

Positives

• Senator Dana Young (R-Tampa) got to point out on the floor of the Senate that President Joe Negron committed to work with USF over the summer on a “path to preeminence.”

When I was an aide, we would catch hell but rarely get a thank you. It goes a long way. Here are some of the legislators who spoke out today or asked questions on behalf of USF. Take a moment, tweet them or email them and say thank you.

Senator Tom Lee

Some of the strongest criticism of the last second change that hurt USF. Said he was embarrassed by the way the change was made. Twitter: @TomLeeFL

Senator Darryl Rouson

Asked pointed questions on the policy change on the Senate floor. @darrylrouson

Rep. Janet Cruz

House minority leader. Some of the most animated criticism on the House floor about the change. Top quote: “My hometown, my university was CHEATED.” @RepJanetCruz

Rep. Wengay Newton

Top quote: “What happened to USF behind closed doors was criminal.” @NewtFL

Rep. Shawn Harrison

One of the more well-known Bulls in the Florida Legislature and a regular at USF Alumni Association events. “The Bull Nation is upset and so am I.” He also mentioned Senate President Negron’s commitment to working with USF to “find a path to preeminence.” @Shawnfor63

Rep. Jackie Toledo

Brief remarks: mentioned USF changed her life, gave her a full scholarship when her family could not afford it. @ToledoForTampa

• Upvote 1