• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What hiring Charlie Strong Means for USF

What a Charlie Strong hire means for USF?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

4 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Can someone provide a link where CWT made the comment about being the first black coach to win a NC?  I find it hard to believe he would make such a comment.

Why?

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Couldn't be happier with Charlie!!!

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Because I've seen this mentioned several times on here and have never seen it anywhere else.  I think it's an urban myth.  I don't think he said it.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Buller64 said:

The future is unclear while CS has shown strength at Louisville, his tenure at Texas was less than sterling. The plus side is that recruiting will be good but his in game management is questionable and, while at Texas, he couldn't seem to get his players on the same page. So we may find ourselves in the same position as we were under CJL, having the talent to compete but not quite putting it all together.

I think there were many mitigating factors at Texas.  Expectations were high.  The Boosters were not all on board and I think the faculty weren't always onboard.  The cupboard was also bare after Mack Brown.  That program was in bad shape and it was not easy to find direction, especially with the expectations.

We're in a maintenance situation right now.  If Strong can keep the offense together and add to it while making the defense even average, the chances of us going undefeated on next year's schedule are good.  He didn't seem to have the playcalling issues at Louisville, but I think he had a lot less pressure on him too.

Time will tell, but he can add the recruits, lock down the Bay Area, and then hopefully learn from mistakes.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 minute ago, Bausfkid said:

Because I've seen this mentioned several times on here and have never seen it anywhere else.  I think it's an urban myth.  I don't think he said it.

He did, the link was provided above. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, Bausfkid said:

Someone just gave you a link to it, did you click it? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

2 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

I linked it

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Got it, thanks.  I'm troubled by the comment.  

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  116
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, TheUpperHand said:

I'm hoping hiring Strong will put some butts in seats; he's a pretty big name so it may inject some more interest amongst the fanbase. It might even generate some interest amongst the casual Tampa sports fans since he was a big deal at Florida.

I had season tickets during the Jim Leavitt era and beginning of Skippy era.   I did not renew my season tickets after skippy killed the program, however I did watch every game when it's available for viewing.  Also, I live in Palm Beach County and not Tampa, however I will be a season ticket holder again next year with the hiring of Strong.  I was never that big on Taggart based on that offense he ran the first 2 years with endless shifting.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Curious as why Strong signed on to coach a "lower level" school. Maybe he does want to stay long term? Maybe just wanted a quick successful team?

Next Level will only happen when we move to a Power 5 or they have a P6 conference, with the playoff extending to 8 teams.

Very happy with the hire. Average fans will know of him.

Go BULLS !!!