• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Attendance-A Tampa Issue?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

http://dailysnark.com/heres-attendance-rank-32-nfl-teams-season/

Bucs are at the bottom too... I still stand by the Share of Wallet issue with so many teams and theme parks people make financial commitments too

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

I mean, yeah it makes sense to be trending near the bottom of sports attendance when the area is filled with lots of other things to do. In regards to the Bucs though, when we're averaging 60k and the 2nd most is 78k, the difference doesn't seem that great. Now talking college at 30k vs 60k is a much larger gap.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,427
  • Days Won:  19

We are making excuses now,

University of Houston -- didn't do too bad; and Houston is the 4th largest CITY (and the fastest growing)... You can definitely get distracted there.

And if conference re-alignment did happen -- They would beat us (without a dumb "package deal") into the P5

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I was reading a story about the Oregon coaching search.  One thing they mentioned was a declining attendance problem.  

UCF brags all the time about their attendance and if you saw any part of some of the games on espn3 this year,  the stadium looked around half full - and that is with bleacher seats that let people spread out and take more room.

There were even empty seats for Florida vs FSU.

We should be doing much better than we are, but it isn't just our problem.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I wonder what the national numbers are? As stated before the product is oversatuated due to ESPN. One can watch the game in HD and not have to deal with traffic and other issues. I believe this is also a problem in the NFL.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah I think we are seeing only the diehards going to games. The semi interested fan isn't going to go thru all that to watch a game unless it's a big one. 

If we had a 40 to 45k seat stadium our crowds wouldn't look so bad really. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

What if this is evolutionary.

What if there are a couple of generations that just ain't into sports? When dinosaurs ruled the earth and we were kids, we 'played sports'. Now, it's a lot more organized. Maybe after x-number of years the organization beats the fun out of it. Maybe after a while, you (generationally speaking) just have no interest in sports - playing for sure, but also watching. I know this makes me sound like a luddite, but perhaps - just perhaps - we were more engaged before our lives became digital submarines. I thought I heard somewhere that there were more people playing fantasy football than watched NFL games. It requires no team loyalty and you certainly don't have to watch the games. Just spitballin' ... no numbers to back it up. Just thinking on the keyboard.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, namuh-bull said:

I was reading a story about the Oregon coaching search.  One thing they mentioned was a declining attendance problem.  

UCF brags all the time about their attendance and if you saw any part of some of the games on espn3 this year,  the stadium looked around half full - and that is with bleacher seats that let people spread out and take more room.

There were even empty seats for Florida vs FSU.

We should be doing much better than we are, but it isn't just our problem.

Go Bulls!

UCF's attendance sucked this year.  Probably worse than ours.  For example in their home game against Cincinnati they announced 30K.  I have actual photographs from the game and there are maybe 15-18K there.  Huge swaths of metal bleachers everywhere.  Mind you, this is not from the pregame but in the middle of the second quarter, when attendance should be at it's highest.  And this is against a marquee conference opponent when they are having a comeback year.  I am saving them for a special occasion like when Knight Light goes on one of his rants about USF's announced versus actual attendance.

USF's attendance, while poor overall, is among the very highest from among the group of 5 conferences, and dwarfs most G5 programs.  Heck, teams like Syracuse averaged like 30K for the year and they are supposedly a "power" program (I use that term lightly with scare quotes).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

What if there are a couple of generations that just ain't into sports? When dinosaurs ruled the earth and we were kids, we 'played sports'. Now, it's a lot more organized. Maybe after x-number of years the organization beats the fun out of it. Maybe after a while, you (generationally speaking) just have no interest in sports - playing for sure, but also watching. I know this makes me sound like a luddite, but perhaps - just perhaps - we were more engaged before our lives became digital submarines. I thought I heard somewhere that there were more people playing fantasy football than watched NFL games. It requires no team loyalty and you certainly don't have to watch the games. Just spitballin' ... no numbers to back it up. Just thinking on the keyboard.

I for one play fantasy NFL football and could care less about watching the games (not even the Bucs anymore).

i became disinterested in the NFL product when the Bucs started blacking out games a few years ago.

On the other side of the coin, I have made it to just about every Bulls home game since 2004 - it is just a plain better value.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Says the guy posting on a message board with no friends in the real world, LOL. Just kidding!

Interesting theory though. As a kid, we used to play football across several front yards until the one jerk put up a bunch of spanish bayonets to keep us out. But we were always playing something.

With no internet, we had to amuse ourselves, do kids not go out as much today as we did?