• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

You can thank all of the support we have from our toad newspaper. I mean the pen is mightier than the sword. Those two jag-offs over there could have help sell our product but instead try to bury it.

I see your point but we need much more help than two newspapers that less and less people read. I would be more inclined to turn the attention to USF marketing and USF alumni assoc. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

At this level, it's never about the money, per se - not in terms of absolute dollars and cents. It's a relative thing - how much one gets in relation to their peers

For people who get to that level, it's because of the competitive drive in them. Willie got to where he is today by working harder, smarter, and longer than his competitors. For which we are very grateful, because he has also instilled this drive and passion in the team we all love.

When folks are that competitive, they really, really, really, really, really want to WIN. With a capital W. And they HATE losing. Maybe more than life itself.

The money is another way of keeping score, if they can score more than you, they win.

Willie won't leave for the money. He'll leave when an offer makes him feel like more of a winner than he is here. Money may be a big part of that, but it's NOT the only consideration.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

37 minutes ago, Mizzou said:

For an opportunity to coach in the Big Leagues, compete for a NC and a couple million dollars a year more in salary he can afford to rent his house or let his wife and son stay behind in that house until he finishes high school.

Well since you keep thinking he would take the Purdue job if offered, I'd like just point out that their last coach was only making 300k more a year than Taggart currently is...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Frost just had a presser saying he is not a candidate and made a good point about Recruiting. He more or less said that in some ways it is easier to recruit at UCF than at Oregon. He said he can get in his car, recruit, and be home by the evening and that at Oregon all the recruiting involves jumping on a plane and spending much more time in Hotel rooms till signing day. Something Taggart should think about if they offer him. I don't think he would fit there vs a job like Auburn for example if it ever opened up.

Edited by ambienknights
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

When these coaching rumors come out everyone loves to look at it in a vacuum for some reason. 

"G5 coach interviewing for a P5 school? Money is better, clearly he's gone."

There are other factors. CWT's name will be stirred around for every job out there this offseason so might as well look at a few things to ponder.

-Taggart is a younger coach who can relate to young men. He especially relates to young men in Florida because he played and won at the HS level. He can also talk about what it's like leaving the state and playing football; the pros and cons. Does the recruiting at the new location mean he can still utilize this strength to the best of his abilities? Look at Coach Strong; he couldn't utilize his Florida contacts and needed time to develop Texas contacts.... and that's at a perennial blue blood.

-CWT is running a variation of a run-spread option because of the talent he is able to recruit. Does he really want to run a pro-style power run? Does he want to adapt based on the roster in place at the offering program? People see this offense and assume it can work anywhere. Can a mid west school get the athletes for it? Does an AD interview CWT and assume they are gettig this high flying offense when their roster is better suited for a pro style?

-Phil Knight says he's willing to throw private money at a new coach; that doesn't necessarily mean every coach.

-Does staying another year with a very talented core returning open up bigger names? Maybe get Sexton to squeeze more money out of USF for another year and have a similar or better year in 2017? 

At the end of the day whatever CWT does I will fully support. He has brought this program back from the brink with flying colors and has made this school more attractive to any up and coming coaches by laying the blueprint in recruiting and on the field. I think he's great since he clearly relates to his kids and teaches them more than just football. I hope he stays, but can't blame him if he goes!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, Mizzou said:

You just don't get it, it's not really about money.

Except for the one or two highly successful coaches in CFB, it's always about the money. If Purdue offers $4 mil, yeah he should consider it. If not, why would rather coach in a big conference and be a loser forever (Purdue) or coach in a less distinctive conference and win games (USF)? 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Except for the one or two highly successful coaches in CFB, it's always about the money. If Purdue offers $4 mil, yeah he should consider it. If not, why would rather coach in a big conference and be a loser forever (Purdue) or coach in a less distinctive conference and win games (USF)? 

I disagree... Jimbo could have gotten more money at LSU. Saban could get more from Texas, Harbaugh could get more a lot of places, Meyer, Stoops, etc. Some of these guys actually like where they coach and choose to stay because they know what they have. Now, I am talking about the really highly paid guys where there may not be a difference in $7M/year vs $8M, a jump of $2.5 to $6 is a different deal, but, it's not "always" about the money.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

34 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

13 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I disagree... Jimbo could have gotten more money at LSU. Saban could get more from Texas, Harbaugh could get more a lot of places, Meyer, Stoops, etc. Some of these guys actually like where they coach and choose to stay because they know what they have. Now, I am talking about the really highly paid guys where there may not be a difference in $7M/year vs $8M, a jump of $2.5 to $6 is a different deal, but, it's not "always" about the money.

So instead of one or two, he should have said 5 or 6 ....

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think the list goes on quite honestly, Swinney, Richt, Smart, Helton, Malzahn... hell... Tressel doesn't even coach football any more, he could have had a number of jobs I am sure if he wanted back in the game. Leavitt would have stayed here forever