• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Helfrich Out at Oregon

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

6 hours ago, TallyBull said:

I really don't see CWT going anywhere, at least not this year. If McElwain were to leave - a big if - I can't see UF hiring CWT. I don't think CWT would leave for a P5 job outside the southeast UNLESS it's truly a top-tier job. UNC doesn't qualify. Tennessee might, but I doubt they'd take the risk with an overall .500 coach who hasn't won his conference (yet).

I wouldn't rule out UF out, if only because his recruiting prowess is strong. He's also learned a ton about the spread offense while he's been here, and he would easily be able to recruit the top players in the trenches he can't recruit here. That said, seeing that his record is sub-.500 (could get to .500 after the bowl game), you probably have a point. 

Tennessee will not hire Taggart. He's a similar type of coach to Butch Jones. The powers that be probably figure "we've added so much to the talent pool, we need a guy who can finish developing it". 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  180
  • Days Won:  0

Frost at least has Duckie ties.   I see that there is a lot of talk for Greg Schiano, yuck

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

UF is not hiring CWT. Come on, they have unlimited funds. Charlie Strong, Les Miles, Spurrier are on the market. Mullen would be on their list. I could see Gundy. They would go after Stoops even with the B12 being down. Taggart would be WAY down their list of potential hires... if for no other reason than they don't care to acknowledge that USF even exists. Beyond that... I don't see UF's coach leaving, aside from the pressure, it's a dream job and Oregon would be a huge step down.

Oregon could come calling, I may be surprised, but, they would be interested in our offense. CWT has only been running this offense for 1.5 years, it's not his bread and butter. He also runs it with freak athletes that he recruits from Florida. Not sure if that will travel for him.

I honestly believe that Taggart is here at least 1 more year. I think there is really a bond between him and Flowers and he wants to finish QFs career here. And... if we get to 10+ wins next year, he will have a pretty long list of options for his next job.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

15 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

UF is not hiring CWT. Come on, they have unlimited funds. Charlie Strong, Les Miles, Spurrier are on the market. Mullen would be on their list. I could see Gundy. They would go after Stoops even with the B12 being down. Taggart would be WAY down their list of potential hires... if for no other reason than they don't care to acknowledge that USF even exists. Beyond that... I don't see UF's coach leaving, aside from the pressure, it's a dream job and Oregon would be a huge step down.

Oregon could come calling, I may be surprised, but, they would be interested in our offense. CWT has only been running this offense for 1.5 years, it's not his bread and butter. He also runs it with freak athletes that he recruits from Florida. Not sure if that will travel for him.

I honestly believe that Taggart is here at least 1 more year. I think there is really a bond between him and Flowers and he wants to finish QFs career here. And... if we get to 10+ wins next year, he will have a pretty long list of options for his next job.

McElwain never won a conference championship at colorado state. never finished with better than 2 conference losses. had 1 bowl win against New Mexico. If you look at their resumes they are very similar. If anything Tagg has more experience than when McElwain was hired.

Not sure why people think these jobs are above CWT. they aren't. Charlie Strong makes an awful head coach. he has Teddy Bridgewater to thank for any success he has had. He couldn't win at texas in an awful conference. Spurrier is 71 years old. He doesn't have anything left in the tank.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

How ironic would it be if CWT went to Oregon when the talk all season was Scott Frost going there?

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291
  • Days Won:  0

They said Scott Frost was responsible for their offense downward.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

36 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Charlie Strong makes an awful head coach. he has Teddy Bridgewater to thank for any success he has had. 

Do you also subscribe to the notion that CWT is an awful coach and has Quinton Flowers to thank for any success he's had?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

Do you also subscribe to the notion that CWT is an awful coach and has Quinton Flowers to thank for any success he's had?

it's quite possible Flowers has a lot to do with his success. only time will tell. He is not an awful gameday coach though. There  hasn't been any WTF moments when he settles for a FG with 20 seconds left and a timeout on 2rd down from the 2 yard line like Holtz did(so many WTF coaching moments for him). Strong was that way at UofL where he would make a call and it made no sense. He almost lost a game to us by making some stupid call late in a game. BTW Strong can't win at Texas in a bad big 12 . he's already proven that. what makes you think he can win at UF in the SEC?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

is the uf coach out? I haven't seen anything about that.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 minutes ago, 2000bull said:

is the uf coach out? I haven't seen anything about that.

No - two years and two SEC East titles - the only way he moves is if he wants to.

There are some rumblings about their lack of a good QB and offensive problems, which he is supposed to be an offensive guru, and rumors that he feels unappreciated.  Plus he's from the Pacific Northwest, so all that is combining and leading to him being mentioned as a candidate - just not sure if it's of his own doing or if there is any smoke to what I mentioned.