• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong as new DC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

That will never happen.

More likely is that we find an old codger who coaches a little defense, think along the lines of Dan McCarney.

Most likely is that we retain Woodie, fire Jancek, and move back to a 4-3 base defense.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

As unlikely as it is, stranger things have happened.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, bulldozier1 said:

That's if/when Willie leaves the program. And it could be this year.

As I recall, Willie is signed through 2020 and currently has a buyout in the range of $1.5 million.  Sure he could, but I don't see that he's done enough yet.  Still no championship, no ranking, no top bowl, no marquee wins and no defense.  Not sure that gets the attention of the P5.  

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see him taking the DC job, but if Taggart was to leave, I hope he'd be a candidate for the USF head coaching job.... 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, NessUSF said:

I don't see him taking the DC job, but if Taggart was to leave, I hope he'd be a candidate for the USF head coaching job.... 

I agree. I think he is past the coordinator stage of his career. I've seen him get passed up for the Gator coaching job like 4 times. At this point, he needs to realize that he recruits better in Florida and should simply come back to the South. He should of ever left Louisville. I think he is a perfect example of the grass not always being greener on the other side. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm going to continue talking up my Bulls with anyone that will listen. The games are fun again, and we seriously need all the attendance and donors we can get.

We've got our rivalry game at noon with UCF and some of our "fans" are complaining about the time, network, etc. Increasing attendance and donor numbers seem to be a much more realistic goals than speculating we'll have the greenbacks, sway, or "awesomeness" to pull Strong as a DC, but that's just me.

Edited by Paisa el Toro
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

39 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I'm going to continue talking up my Bulls with anyone that will listen. The games are fun again, and we seriously need all the attendance and donors we can get.

We've got our rivalry game at noon with UCF and some of our "fans" are complaining about the time, network, etc. Increasing attendance and donor numbers seem to be a much more realistic goals than speculating we'll have the greenbacks, sway, or "awesomeness" to pull Strong as a DC, but that's just me.

100% agree!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

Charlie Strong is way overrated as a HC.  He rode the Bridgwater train to a huge contact at Texas.  Should have given  Teddy a cut.  He'd be fine as a DC and recruiter, however, he's not coming here.

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

54 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I agree. I think he is past the coordinator stage of his career. I've seen him get passed up for the Gator coaching job like 4 times. At this point, he needs to realize that he recruits better in Florida and should simply come back to the South. He should of ever left Louisville. I think he is a perfect example of the grass not always being greener on the other side. 

I wouldn't be so sure he's done being a cooridnator. There aren't many coaches that permanently graduate from the coordinator role. And let's say he agrees he needs to get back in the state of Florida, where is his next job? (Assuming he doesn't take a year off). 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562

16 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I wouldn't be so sure he's done being a cooridnator. There aren't many coaches that permanently graduate from the coordinator role. And let's say he agrees he needs to get back in the state of Florida, where is his next job? (Assuming he doesn't take a year off). 

He can help FAU go to the next level. Maybe a Wake Forrest, NC State, South Carolina. Im a florida boy so i would love to see all my Florida college football teams balling. 

Edited by Gatorbull325