• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thank you Skip Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

2 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Beating ND and Clemson brought unrealistic expectations from some higher ups which led to his firing.  

His lack of emphasis on local recruits brought about his firing. He did not endear himself very well with local coaches, and it showed in his lack of Tampa Bay recruits. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

CSH would have developed AW into the QB he was destined to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

CSH would have developed AW into the QB he was destined to be.

Amen.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, TallyBull said:

I have no ill will against either of our former coaches. With xCJL, he (apparently) made a big mistake and paid the price. With xCSH, for whatever reason  (recruiting, academic priorities, etc.), it didn't work out for him. While the team plummeted during his tenure, I don't believe he was neglectful or intentionally trying to ruin the program. 

I do.

Going to a golf tournament instead of the biggest recruiting event of the year?

7 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I do.

Are we still talking about the charity event with his name on it what was scheduled a year before the non-USF event was put together on campus?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Who you calling "we", paleface?

tonto_1835350b.jpg

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

20 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I do.

I very much doubt any recruit who wanted to go to USF decided that day, "What the hell? This coach doesn't care about me. I'm going to play for a coach who hates golf instead."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I've said it a million times. My issue with Holtz is this... He was given more $$ than Leavitt. His assistant pool was higher than Leavitt's. What did he do with that? He brought in his old buddies and gave them 75-85% raises instead of trying to hire actual BCS caliber coaches. His assistants were his un-doing in my opinion. He kept a couple of coaches from the Leavitt era and they immediately became the lowest paid coaches on the staff, even though they had already proven themselves at this level.

From a fan's perspective, it looks like he saw the $$ signs and brought his buddies along to cash in while he could. I don't care who you are, if you are good at your job, you cannot get a 50%+ raise for a lateral move. If the assistants that Holtz brought in were that good, he would not have been able to keep them at ECU, they would have been long gone before he brought them here.

By the way, those same assistants are the ones who failed the most miserably in recruiting. Larry Scott, a Leavitt assistant that got the shaft with his pay when Holtz came on-board, was the only good recruiter Holtz had on his staff at the end.

On a side note... good for Coach Scott, he's making more than our coordinators now as an assistant at Tennessee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I've said it a million times. My issue with Holtz is this... He was given more $$ than Leavitt. His assistant pool was higher than Leavitt's. What did he do with that? He brought in his old buddies and gave them 75-85% raises instead of trying to hire actual BCS caliber coaches. His assistants were his un-doing in my opinion. He kept a couple of coaches from the Leavitt era and they immediately became the lowest paid coaches on the staff, even though they had already proven themselves at this level.

From a fan's perspective, it looks like he saw the $$ signs and brought his buddies along to cash in while he could. I don't care who you are, if you are good at your job, you cannot get a 50%+ raise for a lateral move. If the assistants that Holtz brought in were that good, he would not have been able to keep them at ECU, they would have been long gone before he brought them here.

By the way, those same assistants are the ones who failed the most miserably in recruiting. Larry Scott, a Leavitt assistant that got the shaft with his pay when Holtz came on-board, was the only good recruiter Holtz had on his staff at the end.

On a side note... good for Coach Scott, he's making more than our coordinators now as an assistant at Tennessee.

I've said it a million times, too. CWT did the same thing and Navy put up 300 yards of passing on his buddy who was brought over from WKU with no ability to be a DC and had his salary double in the process. You're mad at Holtz for doing what every coach in history has done.

Seriously... 300 yards in the air from Navy... That's an entire season's worth with their offense.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1