• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thank you Skip Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

16 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I spoke with him after a La Tech practice 2 years ago and stay in touch with his wife.  Will see them again between Memphis and SMU in a couple of weeks.  I realize I will never change anyone's mind about his time here. But, as I've conveyed in the past, he was tasked first and foremost with improving the grades and APR for a school teetering on the brink of punishments. That, as time has shown, was something he did well.  He believed he had time to then get the athletic part back up to speed. Beating ND and Clemson brought unrealistic expectations from some higher ups which led to his firing.  

He got fired for doing what was asked of him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

11 hours ago, charsibb said:

I do.

Going to a golf tournament instead of the biggest recruiting event of the year?

Can we stop with this crap?  Head coaches don't sit in every minute of recruiting weekend.  It is just a ridiculous argument demonstrating the lack of knowledge of what happens inside a program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Nah.  He got fired because he put an utterly embarrassing product on the field that got worse with each passing game.  

I'd say it was one year of a solid product. One year of a mildly embarrassing product. And one year utterly embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Nah.  He got fired because he put an utterly embarrassing product on the field that got worse with each passing game.  

Interference may or may not have happened with regards to recruiting. He did wonder for academics.

So even if I give credence to CSH not getting the caliber of players he wanted his game management skills were terrible regardless of the player quality. How many times did he not use time outs when they should have been used? Bad choices with kicking field goals and often looking lost on the sideline.

He did great with academics. Props for that. His game day performance was lacking. To be honest, it looks in hindsight that at some point his heart wasn't in it and he gave up on the sidelines.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I'd say it was one year of a solid product. One year of a mildly embarrassing product. And one year utterly embarrassing. 

Probably as good a summary as any.  The second year, we lost some close games in mildly embarrassing fashion.  Then comes contract extension.  Then comes utterly embarrassing, and then the merciful firing.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Interference may or may not have happened with regards to recruiting. He did wonder for academics.

So even if I give credence to CSH not getting the caliber of players he wanted his game management skills were terrible regardless of the player quality. How many times did he not use time outs when they should have been used? Bad choices with kicking field goals and often looking lost on the sideline.

He did great with academics. Props for that. His game day performance was lacking. To be honest, it looks in hindsight that at some point his heart wasn't in it and he gave up on the sidelines.

I agree with this - but here's the thing - Taggart has kept academics solid AND put a good product on the field.  He's proof both can be done.  Certainly, if there's any credit I can get Skip during his time here, it's that he got academics right and set us on a better course in that vein.  I just refuse to believe that was priority #1 for a football coach.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

I agree with this - but here's the thing - Taggart has kept academics solid AND put a good product on the field.  He's proof both can be done.  Certainly, if there's any credit I can get Skip during his time here, it's that he got academics right and set us on a better course in that vein.  I just refuse to believe that was priority #1 for a football coach.  

From what I've heard, it was not his priority, but the priority of the people who hired him. I think Bourbon mentioned it as well, Skip believed his job was to right the ship academically, then bring on players who could handle both ends of being a student-athlete after the academic culture had been established. Administration moved the goal posts on him and he got fired without ever getting to step 2.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

This post was not an attempt to discredit Skip Holtz. We have spent many post dissecting the Holtz era but what I am alluding to was that what we have now is due to Skips failure here. Whether it was his fault or not is irrelevant. Even Taggart floudered his first two years here and I think because the program was so bad when Taggart got here that he benefitied from both patience and the addition of Harlan.  Sometimes when we fail we win.  Skips failure was a catalyst for for Willie to succeed.   

Edited by Bullrush33

8 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

This post was not an attempt to discredit Skip Holtz. We have spent many post dissecting the Holtz era but what I am alluding to was that what we have now is due to Skips failure here. Whether it was his fault or not is irrelevant. Even Taggart floudered his first two years here and I think because the program was so bad when Taggart got here that he benefitied from both patience and the addition of Harlan.  Sometimes when we fail we win.  Skips failure was a catalyst for for Willie to succeed.   

You weren't attempting to discredit Holtz, you just wanted to make sure everyone knows he failed? And try to pin BJ's move to a pocket passer on him ever though BJ Daniels himself says it was his own call?

Edited by JTrue