• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First Four Scouting: NIU Watch

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

One of our problems in the past few seasons was that we played to the level of our competition. Sooo many close games that shouldn't have been, but last season gives me hope that we may be maturing there. I think we'll be ready to deal with NIU, only a trap if they play well above their level.

Guest PCBull14
1 hour ago, TromBull12 said:

You graduated from our esteemed university with this level of ignorance???

my thoughts exactly.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Comparatively to our conference games, this is an easier one. I've said it before, UConn will be tougher than NIU. This is no trap game. NIU sucks

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Comparatively to our conference games, this is an easier one. I've said it before, UConn will be tougher than NIU. This is no trap game. NIU sucks

I am still not sold on UCONN. I know they played better last year but they still lack depth, especially on offense. Playing them in Tampa is a plus. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

59 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

One of our problems in the past few seasons was that we played to the level of our competition. Sooo many close games that shouldn't have been, but last season gives me hope that we may be maturing there. I think we'll be ready to deal with NIU, only a trap if they play well above their level.

I think this happens to all teams...we play up to elite teams but the elite teams also play down which makes for close games when they shouldn't be at times.

Mature well coached teams bring A game almost every game no matter who they play.  

1 hour ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Some were saying that of McNeese St. But as long as our guys are not underestimating them, I'm good.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Some were saying that of McNeese St. But as long as our guys are not underestimating them, I'm good.

The difference was that when we played McNeese st, we sucked too. McNeese wasn't overly talented, but a power house high school team might have beat us that night. 

USF couldn't even get a play off without being penalized, we couldn't complete an intermediate pass, Aaron Lynch, the all star, was getting pushed around. So the point is, we don't suck now. (Hopefully)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

The difference was that when we played McNeese st, we sucked too. McNeese wasn't overly talented, but a power house high school team might have beat us that night. 

USF couldn't even get a play off without being penalized, we couldn't complete an intermediate pass, Aaron Lynch, the all star, was getting pushed around. So the point is, we don't suck now. (Hopefully)

Glad you said "hopefully", since no one here would have thought us to have that level of suckitude back then--it was a promising offseason. Iirc, we started the game strong and it looked like we'd make short work of them (early Shaw TD), but like you said we imploded and lost the head game. They were a good team, and took full advantage of our weakness.

I think NIU is much like that, so as long as we keep our head on straight (ie NOT like the 3rd Q in the WKU game) and keep our perspective, we should win easily. But they do not suck, and have been known to play up to their opponent.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Well I think this should work to our favor. We get an icebreaker game one and then a nice early test heading into contests with  Cuse and FSU. I hope this game will allow us to get things cleaned up and make adjustments. 

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

If USF drops the NIU game, is CWT back on the hot seat? Also how long after the NIU lose before AW gets a chance to lead the offense?

• Downvote 3