• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Latest Bowl Projections from Campus Insiders

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

ESPN keeping the man down.  

**** those bastards and their magic kingdom!

If you think these bowls are about butts in seats you are missing the point. ESPN owns all but 3(?) of the bowls. ESPN sells ads and fills time slots during these bowls and the matchup for the TV viewing purposes is more important than folks buying tickets. I'm certain ESPN "advises" the AAC on who should go where. There is very little chance we go anywhere else besides the ST Pete Bowl because the local viewership will increase leading to more $ for ads. I was dead certain we were going to St Pete until someone told me that the Miami bowl was a done deal due to what they heard from the bigwigs whomever they are. In either case, note the Miami bowl is on a Monday afternoon. So if you are looking for R E S P E C T you aren't going to find it in Miami as that will probably be the least watched bowl of them all. The St Pete Bowl is the first bowl after Christmas, scheduling-wise it would be perfect for ESPN to have USF right there. It will draw local viewers in early in the day and keep them transfixed to the bowl games all day long. Honestly, I will be very surprised if we go anywhere else.

Another point is why does everyone think we deserve a P5 team? We are GOF just like Marshall, Western Kentucky, and the other teams this board is insulting by thinking we are too good to play them and it'll be a blowout. Seriously? A blowout? Aren't we a 1/2 season removed from fire Taggart, we can't win 6, I'll walk from TT to Lithia if we win 7 kind of talk?

At this point, we deserve a bowl, somewhere. That is all. We don't deserve a P5 team, and we certainly don't get to expect a blowout.

nah bruh. College football is about what you've done lately. Unless you're Bama or one of those blue blooded teams, you're here today and gone tomorrow. You need to ride the wave and take it going for all its worth. That's all we want. We aren't Giants, but as we move up its better to jump off their heads then the heads of midgets to get to the top.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

nah bruh. College football is about what you've done lately. Unless you're Bama or one of those blue blooded teams, you're here today and gone tomorrow. You need to ride the wave and take it going for all its worth. That's all we want. We aren't Giants, but as we move up its better to jump off their heads then the heads of midgets to get to the top.

I'm not really sure with what you are disagreeing with, I'm not saying we shouldn't hope to play a P5 team, I'm saying it isn't going to happen because ESPN will make more money if we go to one bowl over another. The Miami bowl will be/should be the worst. Someone has to go there. If we are deemed as irrelevant we will go there. I say we are more relevant in Tampa than we are irrelevant nationally so rather than send us to South Siberia we will go to St Pete.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

I'm not really sure with what you are disagreeing with, I'm not saying we shouldn't hope to play a P5 team, I'm saying it isn't going to happen because ESPN will make more money if we go to one bowl over another. The Miami bowl will be/should be the worst. Someone has to go there. If we are deemed as irrelevant we will go there. I say we are more relevant in Tampa than we are irrelevant nationally so rather than send us to South Siberia we will go to St Pete.

If it is all about TV sets, why the St Pete bowl?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

If it is all about TV sets, why the St Pete bowl?

ESPN sells ads and fills time slots during these bowls and the matchup for the TV viewing purposes is more important than folks buying tickets. I'm certain ESPN "advises" the AAC on who should go where. There is very little chance we go anywhere else besides the ST Pete Bowl because the local viewership will increase leading to more $ for ads. ...The St Pete Bowl is the first bowl after Christmas, scheduling-wise it would be perfect for ESPN to have USF right there. It will draw local viewers in early in the day and keep them transfixed to the bowl games all day long. Honestly, I will be very surprised if we go anywhere else.

Think he covered it.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

First announced bowl game teams are MTSU vs Western Michigan in the Bahamas Bowl

Too bad, I was hoping for a match up with MTSU

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,115
  • Days Won:  6

Think he covered it.

I suppose he did but wouldn't butts in seats cannibalize TV viewership?  If I'm going to the game I'm not watching it. 

you original post came across as we aren't good enough, so why hope. We haven't earned anything.

I think if you want viewership then you send the Bulls somewhere out of town. That will drive up who's watching the game. Also, if you want people to view our game knowing we are on an impressive winning streak, you would put us up against the best opponent you can find. I just don't think sticking us in game with WKU will attract viewers outside of a few places. If it's about viewers you take these two teams and pit them against some mid to low level bowl eligible P-5 schools so people will watch. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

True - No one said we deserve anything, just hoping.  Regardless of those teams records, I think most view us as a higher-mid than those schools.  So while a loss would not technically be an upset, it will feel like one. Conversely, a win will not feel bigger than beating Cincy or Temple, IMO.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

I'm OK with obliterating Marshall in a bowl game to cap off this season. Next year we'll need to go for the gold.