• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From the Memphis game till now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

I like Taggart's philosphy for the most part. It absolutely can work. So far the execution hasn't been there, but it's getting better every single week. There is literally one thing that bugs the ever loving **** out of me when it comes to Taggart's play calling: no diamond set in 2 straight games. Not a single one. I don't get it. I could go back through the film and count, but my rough guess is that plays out of that formation are averaging over 8 yards per attempt. It's absolutely stupid not to throw it in the mix. It really dares the defense to load the box when you have essentially 4 RBs in the backfield. So ya... high % plays in a formation that has gone unused 2 straight games, after working spectacularly. SMH so hard my neck snaps.

I think he's just hiding it from Temple and is planning to break it out on Saturday again.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Play calling is marginally better. USF needs to  run play action more on first down.  Maybe to open the game or sometime in the middle of the second or third quarter he needs to run play action two or three times in a row just to keep the defenses honest this will absolutely open up the running game.  If I was the  opposing coach I would take the risk of getting burned once on a play action on first down knowing that the tendency for USF is to maybe run that once or twice in a game. But if they showed that they were willing to do it on consecutive plays I might have to change my philosophy and my defensive  alignment. My feeling is they need to be willing to run play action at least 30% of the time .

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Well so far this year out of roughly 600 offensive plays its rush ~400 and pass ~200.  I think ideally you want it close to 50/50 so it appears that CWT is a little conservative.  Maybe just giving QF time to learn or just his overall game plan.  We are after all starting a redshirt sophomore QB with very little experience.  Team is above 500 overall and has tied the highest total conference wins we have ever had with three more conference games to play so it seems to be working.  By the way, the Memphis game was close and our defense held them way below their season scoring average.    I like the progress.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Except the ECU quarterback was a WR turned QB and was using the same wet ball and had some very precise passes. 

So did QF ..

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Mostly agree... I think CWT needs to get a bit more of a killer instinct. He seems to get REALLY conservative around the middle of games with a tight score. Even ahead a bit (ECU game), he starts trying to run the clock out in the 3rd quarter. I'd like to see us try to step on the opponent's throat.

The flip side of that is... if we weren't running the boring offense we were running against ECU, there is no way Adams would have been that wide open on the TD. I kind of see a grind it out, use the clock, quick strike offense that he is using. I think were we have had some issues are with your first note under "questionable stuff" above. The drops have really killed a number of big plays this year. Also, QF nearly missed that throw to Adams, if you are relying on the big play all the time, there is always a chance that it misses and you have to figure out a way to move the ball a bit more conventionally.

I will say this...I think the lack of killer instinct is reflective of a lack of trust in the players. I don't mean this as a negative at all, as I have staunchly supported CWT and have remained hopeful that the program return to the winning ways of the CJL era (may it rest in peace). I can understand how Taggart would be reluctant to put our young offensive skill position players into higher risk/reward positions late in close games. We have seen countless drops and poor decision making time and again. This is a program that is trying to instill a winning attitude and, quite frankly, you can't do that if you are losing games, albeit close ones. Taggart's somewhat conservative approach can only truly be said to have cost us a shot at a win against Memphis. The players did not execute in the Maryland game (although Taggart made his biggest mistake of the season in that one by unexpectedly putting in Bench after an offensive TD  drive), and, in the Navy game, we just didn't make enough plays and had too many boneheaded mistakes to win.

If we are still having this discussion next season, then I will be concerned whether Taggart has the chops to get us to the next level. But, for now, I will take Mylanta mashing close wins over potential loses. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Well so far this year out of roughly 600 offensive plays its rush ~400 and pass ~200.  I think ideally you want it close to 50/50 so it appears that CWT is a little conservative.  Maybe just giving QF time to learn or just his overall game plan.  We are after all starting a redshirt sophomore QB with very little experience.  Team is above 500 overall and has tied the highest total conference wins we have ever had with three more conference games to play so it seems to be working.  By the way, the Memphis game was close and our defense held them way below their season scoring average.    I like the progress.

Not to pick on you but... QF is a true sophomore which strengthens your point. Also, USF won 4 games in conference on 4 different occasions (Once in CUSA and our first 3 years in the BE).

• Topic Count:  2,330
  • Content Count:  21,282
  • Days Won:  10

Questionable stuff

Receivers. It seems like 50% of the balls will be dropped. If you are a receiver and you don't catch the ball, you are just a dude running around for no reason...

CWT's play selections. When the other team stacks the box, there's no place to run inside!

Penalties: different players tend to take turns at self-destructing in a given game.

Special Teams: field goals, punting, punt coverage... It's like rolling the dice.

Can we beat Temple? Sure! We could have beaten Memphis and Navy. But the questionable stuff cost us those games.

I agree 100% on the questionable stuff.   Why run up the middle when you have that many players in the box.  

We seems to have new issues every game.   Example, in the East Carolina game we dominated them the first half but could not score with all of the opportunities.   Second half, which we are usually stronger, we did not adjust and they did.   

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

A lot of those, "run" plays started as pass plays, Flowers just ran instead.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

I can't recall any. 

Of course you can't .... they were there, though. Three off the top of my head. One was to Price down the middle for a first down. Another was a maybe 10 yd sideline throw to a receiver just standing there all by himself that had a nice amount of zip on it. Also the one to Adams along the sideline immediately prior to his td. Definitely not saying that QF had a great day throwing the ball but he did have some nice throws

• Upvote 1