• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From the Memphis game till now

One note, whether an opponent is stacking the box or not, you have to try to run up the middle from time to time to keep them honest.  I think the play calling has been fine of late (not great, mind you).  Flowers hits a few of those open long passes and you'd see the defense not crowd the line so much.  Play calling would open up if the execution was there.

EIGHT STRAIGHT RUNS TO START THE SECOND HALF AGAINST ECU.  I would not call that fine.

The play calling has been hit or miss... and there seems to be no adjustments when things don't work.  One of the plays we all loved was the 4th down conversion against ECU.  The play called for yet another run up the middle that was stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Mack bounced off the pile, slipped and used a hand to keep himself up, then bounced outside to convert and pick up the first down.  But the play called for a run up the middle when NONE of the runs up the middle were working. *smh*

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Net average was 35.2 after the first 5 games.

http://theamerican.org/custompages/stats/football/2015/confonly.htm

It was horrid to begin the season, that why I said it has seemed to improve.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Play calling is still a bit rough, as well as execution on both Flowers and the receivers part, but everything seems to be improving.   Was surprised with the trouble we were having running up the middle against ECU, that we didn't see the inverted wishbone and more outside runs in the second half.  Mack and Flowers both appear to be mostly healthy.   Not sure why we aren't using that formation more often. Navy absolutely gashed ECU with their offense (400+ yards rushing), would imagine ECU would have had trouble defending runs from that formation. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Receivers not catching the ball and our QB not being consistent enough at this point leads CWT to be conservative. I also would be conservative and run the ball a little more often...

Yet, when we get a little rhythm and attempt the play action or trick play, it often results in a huge gain or TD. His rolling the dice has paid dividends so with such a crucial game I think he'll let it fly.

My concern is if we get a lead, what will he do? If he plays to not lose, we'll lose IMO. Just keep the foot down & play for the win please.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

EIGHT STRAIGHT RUNS TO START THE SECOND HALF AGAINST ECU.  I would not call that fine.

The play calling has been hit or miss... and there seems to be no adjustments when things don't work.  One of the plays we all loved was the 4th down conversion against ECU.  The play called for yet another run up the middle that was stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Mack bounced off the pile, slipped and used a hand to keep himself up, then bounced outside to convert and pick up the first down.  But the play called for a run up the middle when NONE of the runs up the middle were working. *smh*

I'd have to go back, but I think some of those were read-options where Flowers just made the wrong read.  I could be wrong though. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Wet ball.

Except the ECU quarterback was a WR turned QB and was using the same wet ball and had some very precise passes. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

by the way    pretty sure that linebacker is a half orc

Orc Linebacker.png

Half-orc (link in image):

tyler_matakevich.thumb.jpg.d1d209f765f3a

And his teammates aren't half-bad (link in image):

matt_ioannidis.thumb.jpg.fca828485835df8

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Except the ECU quarterback was a WR turned QB and was using the same wet ball and had some very precise passes. 

Their balls were not like our balls. I think they were a little deflated...:evil:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

I like Taggart's philosphy for the most part. It absolutely can work. So far the execution hasn't been there, but it's getting better every single week. There is literally one thing that bugs the ever loving **** out of me when it comes to Taggart's play calling: no diamond set in 2 straight games. Not a single one. I don't get it. I could go back through the film and count, but my rough guess is that plays out of that formation are averaging over 8 yards per attempt. It's absolutely stupid not to throw it in the mix. It really dares the defense to load the box when you have essentially 4 RBs in the backfield. So ya... high % plays in a formation that has gone unused 2 straight games, after working spectacularly. SMH so hard my neck snaps.

• Upvote 1