• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPNEWS Announcers: SMU homers!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I am rewatching the game right now and I don't hear any homerisms. They seem to know both teams pretty well as far as I can tell. For example they knew that Thor was a graduate student.

...and c'mon, one of the guys' names was ROCKY! They weren't nearly as bad as some of the SEC announcers I've heard. Only thing I really didn't like was how they absolutely sat on the QF thigh bruise after the acrobatic TD. Cameras on QF at every break in the action for a while. Can't blame them too much, I guess, he was the rock star of the game.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I usually let it go when announcers are bad. But yesterday really cheesed me off. They were clearly in love with SMU and the SMU coach.

The the hell? Aren't they supposed to be neutral?

In any case, I'm glad their team lost!

Like listening to Ron Darling do a Mets game on TBS? You can almost hear his ***** banging under the table.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

All TV announcers blow. I never watch a game on TV with the sound turned up. Don't need "experts" telling me what I just saw. Don't need their opinions of what should have happened. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I am rewatching the game right now and I don't hear any homerisms. They seem to know both teams pretty well as far as I can tell. For example they knew that Thor was a graduate student.

I noticed that they got a lot of players names and numbers confused.  As if they didn't know USF at all.  

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

I noticed that they got a lot of players names and numbers confused.  As if they didn't know USF at all.  

would have helped if the names were on the jerseys

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

would have helped if the names were on the jerseys

And the picture of Mack over the caption of Flowers with Flowers stats...  names on jerseys would have helped there too.  They were poorly prepared and nobody really knew anything about USF.  Calling Hector "Marlon Bronson"  ... could be a shadow recruit nobody had ever seen.  Taggart has been hiding him evidently. 

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

if you dont like the announcers turn down the sound

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I know what you are talking about but I don't know that I would call it homer-ism so much as they just looked at most things from an SMU perspective. I have always chalked that up to be ESPN's way of handling things. They generally seem to base it off market size or larger fan base.

From ESPN's perspective the "majority" of the eyeballs on that game would be coming out of Dallas.  SMU was the visiting team thus most of their fans would be watching it on TV. Dallas is a larger market. SMU football has a longer history. 

I see the same thing from ESPN if Bama or Ohio State are playing Indiana or NC State. The bigger name school or market gets more play on the broadcast.  

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

I think part of it has to do with the fact that SMU was 1-5.  We received praise in equal measure with the Mustangs but they received more attention because the program wasn't doing well.  You heard announcers doing it with us a lot last couple of years.  Its like the announcers are trying to reassure the viewer that the "bad" team isn't as bad as they seem and they have a lot of promise.  

In addition TV markets are pretty big to play to, and Dallas has a much bigger TV market than we do.  All in all I think it was pretty well casted.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Also, it was an away game for SMU, so theoretically more SMU fans would watch the game as most could not attend.