• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Odom handing out grades to the football team

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Grading USF football at the halfway point of the season

By Jeff Odom, COMMENTARY
On October 20, 2015

USF has officially reached the halfway point in Year Three of the Willie Taggart era, and to say it has been a roller coaster would be quite an understatement. 

From the high points of routing Florida A&M in the opener and finally earning a victory over a Power-Five opponent with their upset of Syracuse on Homecoming to the lows of falling to a dreadful Maryland team and giving away a win against Memphis — Bulls fans have seen it all.

There have been second-half collapses, pull-your-hair-out play calls and even a bit of a public hullabaloo between Taggart and athletic director Mark Harlan over the coach’s team-wide ban of Ybor City following the tragic stabbing death of former player Elkino Watson. On the bright side, however, there has also been excitement, convincing wins and even a murmur or two of that long, lost “B-word” — yes, bowl game.

As USF gets ready for Saturday’s conference game against SMU at Raymond James Stadium, we take a look at how each unit has shaped up in the first six games by issuing them a mid-term grade. 

Can the Bulls sustain their recent success? Like many things, that remains to be seen. But it’s hard to argue with just how spirited they have played, and with the road ahead, it’s hard to find a reason why it won’t. 

OFFENSE

Talk about making a rebound, the unit’s evolution from the Maryland loss to Saturday’s win over Connecticut has been nothing short of incredible, and one explanation is that Taggart opened up the playbook. Instead of relying solely on the run — which is still a critical part of the game plan and should be — the Bulls have allowed sophomore quarterback Quinton Flowers to throw it around a little bit. As he has grown, so too has the rest of the team. Last year at this point, USF was ranked 118th nationally in total offense. Now? It’s 56th. That’s progress.

Grade: B+

DEFENSE

Arguably the most consistent group on the field this season, defensive coordinator Tom Allen has shaped the self-titled “Bull Sharks” into one of the best units USF fans have seen in some time. Led by senior husky Jamie Byrd and senior lineman Eric Lee, they’re fast to the ball, they get to the quarterback and they can knock you down in the backfield. After posting five sacks against the Huskies, USF now ranks 11th in the nation with 8.2 tackles for loss per game.

Grade: A

SPECIAL TEAMS

REST OF Report Card

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

A little generous with the midterm report card. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

All grades should be dropped 1/2 a grade. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Odom is an easy grader. 

Except for the defense no one should get better than a C. And the defense is a C+ or B-

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I agtee with everyone here. Very generous.  I would give:

offense-C-

Defense-B-

Special Teams-C

Coaching-C+

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

I think the grades reflect the last 2 games rather than all 6.  Too high.  Special teams is way too high because of the kickoffs and coverage.  Give the punter an A and the rest of special teams a D.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

offense-C-

Defense-B-

Special Teams-C

Coaching-C+

I agree with all of it, except for the last one. Coaching: incomplete.

Too many unknowns are this moment to say if the coaching is gradable. Beat MSU and we can talk.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

offense-C-

Defense-B-

Special Teams-C

Coaching-C+

only difference is offense i would give c

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

any way we can convert this to an S/U class?

• Upvote 1