• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow... Further UCF national embarrassment - UCF WR Tweets

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

JTrue may have been stunningly wrong on the substance of his drug post. But it's totally legit to start a sentence with a conjunction. People who think otherwise don't know how to write. 

Also are you seriously jumping all over someone for what is very clearly a minor typo? Get a life dude. 

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Yes please do. 

Who exactly are you quoting that is quoting Jimmy Dugan since your entire sig is in quotation marks?

Properly wirtten: "Avoid the clap" - Jimmy Dugan

I'm done.  You're welcome. 

It's nice when things are properly wirtten...but we all make mistakes.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I'm not one who uses perfect grammar, but starting sentences with a conjunction is grammatically correct. You should make sure you verify your points before attempting to use them in an argument, or else you may come out looking foolish.

...Also, the word "English" is capitalized.

I'll let you two continue your banter.

#1) I am not the one who began the grammar discussion, I'm just the one finishing it. 

#2) If you think "its really not all the debateable.  But that was a nice way of brushing it off ." is correct then you should not have added your 2 cents.

It's nice when things are properly wirtten...but we all make mi

Rules for Punctuating Quotations inside Quotations

In English, rules about punctuation with quotation marks are little complicated. But here is the most complicated situation of all. Sometimes you need to place a quotation inside a quotation. Yikes. How on earth to you punctuate that? Consider this situation:

Al, President of the Future Engineers of America, sees himself as a paragon of popularity. He doesn’t want Archie to join the club because Archie wears a plastic pocket-protector filled with pens and pencils. Al wants Archie to dump the pocket-protector, but Archie is outraged by the demand. You’re writing a story about Archie and the Future Engineers of America. You’re quoting Archie, who is quoting Al. How do you punctuate this quotation?

A sentence like this has to be sorted out. Without any punctuation, here’s what Al said:

Without any punctuation, here are all the words that Archie said:

Al’s words are a quotation inside another quotation. So Al’s words are enclosed in single-quotation marks, and Archie’s are enclosed (in the usual way) in double quotation marks.

In short, use single quotation marks.  please fix your sig.

I'm quoting an unnamed kid who was reading an autograph that contained the words "Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan" on a baseball. Now, since I'm not privy to the exact way Jimmy wrote it out, I've taken some liberties in adding my own hyphen. But if I were signing an autograph, I'd put it on there. I also am not sure if he punctuated/capitalized the phrase itself, but from what I know of Jimmy, I'd venture to guess he didn't and it's more of a sentence fragment. Most people capitalize the first letter though, regardless. In any event, the official, as well as correct, way to use the quote is only one of the following:

"Avoid the clap. - Jimmy Dugan" (assuming you think he punctuated it)

"Avoid the clap! - Jimmy Dugan" (making the same assumption)

"Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan" (if you think he's not much of a stickler for punctuation)

Same time tomorrow for another free lesson? Or are you busy?

In English, rules about punctuation with quotation marks are little complicated. But here is the most complicated situation of all. Sometimes you need to place a quotation inside a quotation. Yikes. How on earth to you punctuate that? Consider this situation:

Al, President of the Future Engineers of America, sees himself as a paragon of popularity. He doesn’t want Archie to join the club because Archie wears a plastic pocket-protector filled with pens and pencils. Al wants Archie to dump the pocket-protector, but Archie is outraged by the demand. You’re writing a story about Archie and the Future Engineers of America. You’re quoting Archie, who is quoting Al. How do you punctuate this quotation?

Archie says, “Al had the nerve to tell me, ‘Your pocket protector is nerd-city and dumpster-ready.’”

A sentence like this has to be sorted out. Without any punctuation, here’s what Al said:

Your pocket protector is nerd-city and dumpster-ready.

Al had the nerve to tell me your pocket protector is nerd-city and dumpster-ready.

Al’s words are a quotation inside another quotation. So Al’s words are enclosed in single-quotation marks, and Archie’s are enclosed (in the usual way) in double quotation marks.

Please correct your sig with the usage of single quotation marks.

/discussion.

It's nice when things are properly wirtten...but we all make mistakes.

That would have been a cool comment had I been theo ne who started the grammar policing. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Please correct your sig with the usage of single quotation marks.

/discussion.

That would apply if the quote was within a quote. 

The unknown boy read aloud from his signed ball, "Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan."

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Why am I the only person on this bus?
What are we waiting for?
Are you physically unable
to show up on time?
- Coming, Jimmy.
- Bye.
If you think you can do without
the batting practice, think again.
Not with the way you've been hitting.
Oh, let's not go to the World Series
without Stilwell's toys!
- Alice, what time is it where you live?
- Don't yell before a game. It's bad luck.
- Mr. Dugan?
- Yeah?
- Could you sign my baseball?
- Sure.
There.
"Avoid the clap. Jimmy Dugan."
That's good advice!

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=league-of-their-own-a 

Right, so where have you provided the reader

That would apply if the quote was within a quote. 

The unknown boy read aloud from his signed ball, "Avoid the clap - Jimmy Dugan."

It is a quote within a quote. 

The boy is who you are quoting.  Therefore his entire statement should be in quotations, as it is HE who is making the statement. 

What Jimmy Dugan quoted to the boy should be in single quoations, as it is what he (Jimmy Dugan) is saying to the boy to whom this quote is attributed.