• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the offense really any different?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

I think the first drive Friday night was what most envisioned .... but hey, 70>63, so we have that going for us.

Yeah that equates to about two extra punts per game. Good stuff.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I've never been a big fan of removing games where we had decent production to prove a larger point.  I usually prefer to keep things honest.  But that's just me.  

So yes, I think it would be wrong to take the FCS teams away.  Also, don't forget that one of those FCS teams in the last 3 seasons was this little school called McNeese State.  I seem to remember a few things about how that game went.

McNeese St was a far better team than Florida A&M is.  A&M is hugely inflating this years numbers.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

McNeese St was a far better team than Florida A&M is.  A&M is hugely inflating this years numbers.

You seem to miss the entire point of why I wrote that, but I'm perfectly ok with that.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah the chart is worthless because you still have the A&M game skewing as 25% of the season's stats, versus a whole season. 

I'm sure after 1 game USF was well ahead of last year's stats, and they were also undefeated. But both are misleading. 

By the time the season is done, I'd expect those numbers to be about the same as last years. Maybe slightly better because he's going to pull every trick in his book (2, total) to keep being horrendously overpaid for a job he's in way over his head at. 

Edited by cambodia36

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

Can we get a table of 3rd down conversions

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The chart is not "worthless" as I laid out the first 4 games of the last two seasons.  We are better offensively over the first 4 games now than the last 2 years. You want to argue the relative worth of FAMU as an opponent that's fine.  As for the ranking itself, most everyone plays their 1-AA and cupcake games. If someone wants to go and back out the 1-AA games for every team in the country go ahead.

The reality is that the offense is still way better. The offenses of the last 2 years could never have put up 50 points or 500 yards on this year's FAMU team.  

As for the season reverting to last year that would mean the team averaging 270ypg and 14ppg the rest of the season.  I think that's highly unlikely.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256

If they average 17 a game the rest of the year, which is highly likely, that's gonna be 19.8 on the season. Improvement...ever so slightly, but let's face it, they are 1-3 with a win against a bad 1-AA team. The fact that most of the offense returned could account for the slight uptick, as law of averages says they'll likely improve some, even under the tutelage of coach Dingleberry

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Offense is moderately better than last year and significantly better than 2 years ago. The stats through 4 games don't lie. Still nowhere near where we need to be and maybe still below average as opposed to being horrendous. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725

Wait, nobody has started the "If Steven Bench was starting" derailment yet?