• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is the offense really any different?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

All we heard this offseason was how we were going to play faster and get more plays per game.

2013    62 plays/ game

2014    63 plays/game

2015    70 plays/game

we may have an extra WR out there ...and more spread out and a lot less motion....but it looks like the same offense to me. moreover, we are still seeing delays in getting the play in from the sidelines again, especially in the second half during Memphis.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game?date=2015-10-08

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

same ole same ole

I'm only seeing a handful of quick up-tempo snaps per game

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

CWT tried to speed things up last year.  It last a quarter or two.  He is incapable of calling plays quickly, except for the first dozen plays or so that are scripted.  He also believes in running the ball, then running ball, and then running once more.  Unfortunately, this isn't the 70s anymore.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,596
  • Days Won:  424

It's different this year because our qb's, thru 4 games, have twice as many rushing yards as our qb's had last year for 12 games.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Basically the same

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

It's different this year because our qb's, thru 4 games, have twice as many rushing yards as our qb's had last year for 12 games.

Flowers vs Mike White last season, who is as mobile as my couch. (and who also could throw a little)

...agree on running our QB more, but it's not the fast break on grass tempo we heard about all off season. 

Quick note on playcalling: When Willie was hired there were some bigger name and most importantly ....EXPERIENCED....Offensive and defensive coordinators names being thrown around  to come in and help mentor a very young head coach. Instead the old administration decided to go cheap  and which ultimately led to Willie calling the plays today. Remember that a young Jim Leavitt had a couple veteran coaching hands on staff...where Willie was forced to go with the kiddie corps b/c of money. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Well put Cyber. Of course Woolard went cheap. That has always seemed to be an issue, and 1 reason why even in the Leavitt days, coaches routinely left for greener pastures, and they could never really get the offense going. However at least he was able to mine for some gold, like McCartney, Dawsey, etc. Willie seems to have hired mostly friends and family, and nobody who would challenge him. Allen seemed like more of a Harlan hire, and a rare nice one at that. 

Well put Cyber. Of course Woolard went cheap. That has always seemed to be an issue, and 1 reason why even in the Leavitt days, coaches routinely left for greener pastures, and they could never really get the offense going. However at least he was able to mine for some gold, like McCartney, Dawsey, etc. Willie seems to have hired mostly friends and family, and nobody who would challenge him. Allen seemed like more of a Harlan hire, and a rare nice one at that. 

Family and friends seems a little harsh and unfair....b/c some of the coaches he hired were good recruiters and solid coaches. I just remember how long it took Willie to complete his staff.

seems to me that Taggart should have hired a bonfide play caller this offseason like he did with Allen on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure if he was handcuffed b/c money or lack of interest from quality offensive minds due to a potentially lameduck season...or both. Either way....Taggart as a play caller is not working....which is a shame b/c his kids like him and he is a great recruiter....and still learning on the job.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,596
  • Days Won:  424

...agree on running our QB more, but it's not the fast break on grass tempo we heard about all off season. 

I think the first drive Friday night was what most envisioned .... but hey, 70>63, so we have that going for us.