• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart Needs to Learn How To Win

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think Holtz was fine until the second half of season #3.  For all the griping and complaining, the team was in every game and playing with lots of energy.  Haven't seen much of either in the two and a half years since.  His problem was that the team pretty much quit in year three.  I still believe that is mostly due to an atrocious defensive effort under Cosh.  But he hired Cosh and then couldn't control him even though it was obvious he wasn't following Holtz direction.  I always wonder what would have happened if Holtz had just fired him midway through the season, if the team could have cobbled together enough defense to squeak out another win or two and not completely collapsed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

I think Holtz was fine until the second half of season #3.  For all the griping and complaining, the team was in every game and playing with lots of energy.  Haven't seen much of either in the two and a half years since.  His problem was that the team pretty much quit in year three.  I still believe that is mostly due to an atrocious defensive effort under Cosh.  But he hired Cosh and then couldn't control him even though it was obvious he wasn't following Holtz direction.  I always wonder what would have happened if Holtz had just fired him midway through the season, if the team could have cobbled together enough defense to squeak out another win or two and not completely collapsed.

Interesting point there DataBull.  Yep, as you said, at least USF was close in most games and they had an offense that could score a bit more than 17 points.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Doesn't knowing how to win come with knowing how to coach? If you can't coach, you don't win...

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777

In short I do not believe Taggart is the right person for the USF job. I was optimistic with the hire but the performance on the field has not kept up with other schools in the conference.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

What's crazy is that when Taggart is fired this year, he'll be considered a shittier coach that Holtz.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Taggart is 23-40 is 5+ seasons and has only had one winning season in conference. We needed a guy who knew how to win before he took the job.

Like Skip .....

Yup, like Skip. I don't know about you, but it's easier for me to swallow a failed coaching regime when we brought in a guy like Skip who had proven he could win and had conference championships at a decent level. Don't get me wrong, it eats at me what Skip did to our program and I would never want him back as our coach. However, we didn't exactly shoot for the stars with Taggart given his coaching resume at the time. 

I will say if Taggart is gone at the end of this year he will have brought in a lot of talent and the new coach should have plenty to work with. Not that I see that as a success, but at least we have that to fall back on. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Taggart is 23-40 is 5+ seasons and has only had one winning season in conference. We needed a guy who knew how to win before he took the job.

Like Skip .....

Yup, like Skip. I don't know about you, but it's easier for me to swallow a failed coaching regime when we brought in a guy like Skip who had proven he could win and had conference championships at a decent level. Don't get me wrong, it eats at me what Skip did to our program and I would never want him back as our coach. However, we didn't exactly shoot for the stars with Taggart given his coaching resume at the time. 

I will say if Taggart is gone at the end of this year he will have brought in a lot of talent and the new coach should have plenty to work with. Not that I see that as a success, but at least we have that to fall back on. 

Skip as a hire did make sense at the time, but the extension was what killed us.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This is what I think of every time a CWT thread shows up.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Interesting point there DataBull.  Yep, as you said, at least USF was close in most games and they had an offense that could score a bit more than 17 points.  

Only until BJ got hurt .... Skip, for whatever reasons, in his 3 recruiting classes couldn't get a legit heir apparent to the qb position.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Only until BJ got hurt .... Skip, for whatever reasons, in his 3 recruiting classes couldn't get a legit heir apparent to the qb position.

Unless Woulard turns out to be that heir.  Interestingly Taggart has done no better, except getting back the guy that should have been here all along.

Edited by DataBull