• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart Needs to Learn How To Win

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think Holtz was fine until the second half of season #3.  For all the griping and complaining, the team was in every game and playing with lots of energy.  Haven't seen much of either in the two and a half years since.  His problem was that the team pretty much quit in year three.  I still believe that is mostly due to an atrocious defensive effort under Cosh.  But he hired Cosh and then couldn't control him even though it was obvious he wasn't following Holtz direction.  I always wonder what would have happened if Holtz had just fired him midway through the season, if the team could have cobbled together enough defense to squeak out another win or two and not completely collapsed.

Interesting point there DataBull.  Yep, as you said, at least USF was close in most games and they had an offense that could score a bit more than 17 points.  

Only until BJ got hurt .... Skip, for whatever reasons, in his 3 recruiting classes couldn't get a legit heir apparent to the qb position.

Unless Woulard turns out to be that heir.  Interestingly Taggart has done no better, except getting back the guy that should have been here all along.

Woulard doesn't factor in to my statement .... and Taggart hasn't done any better yet, but at the least the jury is still out on a couple of them .... Let me clarify, a rational jury.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I think Holtz was fine until the second half of season #3.  For all the griping and complaining, the team was in every game and playing with lots of energy.  Haven't seen much of either in the two and a half years since.  His problem was that the team pretty much quit in year three.  I still believe that is mostly due to an atrocious defensive effort under Cosh.  But he hired Cosh and then couldn't control him even though it was obvious he wasn't following Holtz direction.  I always wonder what would have happened if Holtz had just fired him midway through the season, if the team could have cobbled together enough defense to squeak out another win or two and not completely collapsed.

Interesting point there DataBull.  Yep, as you said, at least USF was close in most games and they had an offense that could score a bit more than 17 points.  

Only until BJ got hurt .... Skip, for whatever reasons, in his 3 recruiting classes couldn't get a legit heir apparent to the qb position.

Unless Woulard turns out to be that heir.  Interestingly Taggart has done no better, except getting back the guy that should have been here all along.

Woulard doesn't factor in to my statement .... and Taggart hasn't done any better yet, but at the least the jury is still out on a couple of them .... Let me clarify, a rational jury.

Woulard doesn't factor in?  The jury is still out on who?  You really think QF can be the guy?  LOL

And here I thought you wanted rational thoughts.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Woulard doesn't factor in?

No, he doesn't. Try reading it again ... Skip didn't have someone decent waiting in the wings to follow BJ and that could have been a factor in his being let go.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Taggart deserves the 3 years that Skip got but I haven't seen anything in the 27 games he has been here that leads me to believe that he can develop, coach and leverage his players in a way that will lead to consistent success. In 24 games against FBS teams under Taggart:

• USF is 5-19 (.208 winning percentage)
  • USF's largest margin of victory is only 8 points
  • USF's offense has scored more than two (2) touchdowns in a game ONCE...one time...uno

that last stat is mind blowing.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Taggart deserves the 3 years that Skip got but I haven't seen anything in the 27 games he has been here that leads me to believe that he can develop, coach and leverage his players in a way that will lead to consistent success. In 24 games against FBS teams under Taggart:

• USF is 5-19 (.208 winning percentage)
  • USF's largest margin of victory is only 8 points
  • USF's offense has scored more than two (2) touchdowns in a game ONCE...one time...uno

that last stat is mind blowing.

That stat is pathetic but not surprising. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I loved what he's done from a recruiting standpoint, and I believe he's brought the team closer together as a family....but at the end of the day you need to WIN. There are coaches licking their chops waiting for this job to open up. Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the talent on the team and big transfers available in 2016. The next coach will win immediately. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I've liked the recruiting, I've liked A LOT (not all) of the things he's said, and I've liked that he's been willing to listen and willing to change things up to win. I just don't know what's missing here--he has all the support he could have hoped for to make a success, and he's stocked the team with some good talent, just can't finish the job. I feel for the guy, he has to be exasperated. I'd hate to see him go and am still willing to give him a few more games before I give up totally. But there has to be an ignition of the talent at some point, or the writing's on the wall.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I loved what he's done from a recruiting standpoint, and I believe he's brought the team closer together as a family....but at the end of the day you need to WIN. There are coaches licking their chops waiting for this job to open up. Anyone with 1/2 a brain can see the talent on the team and big transfers available in 2016. The next coach will win immediately. 

These are the parts of USF football that drive me CRAZY!

Just find a way to win...

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Makes me crazy as well.  We have talent but cannot execute and win. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Yes, we have talent, but not at the most important position (QB). Can't win without a QB at either level. Taggs recruited 2 QB's and 1 Athlete in 3 recruiting cycles. So, instead of signing 5-6 QB's, he's signed 2 in 3 classes. And the QB's didn't have to be 4 star guys, he should have thrown some offers at other guys around the state that weren't highly recruited to take some chances on them at least. This is going to be what gets him fired (not recruiting QB's). Stupid...