• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I feel we should employ a duel QB system

Worked out well for Burr/Hamilton.

Dammit. I was scrolling down to see if anyone caught that.

Useless trivia of the day...Who directed that first "Got Milk" commercial with the Burr/Hamilton duel?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Worked out well for Burr/Hamilton.

Dammit. I was scrolling down to see if anyone caught that.

Useless trivia of the day...Who directed that first "Got Milk" commercial with the Burr/Hamilton duel?

Wasn't it M. Night Shymalan?  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I think Flowers is in for a big game on the ground this Saturday, and I'm anxious to see how FSU accounts for him without leaving the slot guys or TEs open in the middle of the field. My only question is can Flowers hit those guys on short/intermediate routes when they do get open, and can he do it under duress..

My guess is they will contain Flowers and Mack and make Flowers beat them with his arm. At least that is what I would do. 7 to 8 in the box, single coverage on the outside. Hopefully, Dillon continues to shine and shows chemistry with Flowers, as it would be nice to get him into isolation with a LB. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

^^^ nope, just looked it up, I was way off but won't spoil the answer.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

That is exactly what I think hey will be doing. Flowers will start and Bench will close. We will try to keep fresh players on the field, and why not rotate in a fresh qb who has been able to scout the d for a couple of quarters? Smoke & mirrors boys. We need trickeration to try to get W's out of these tough games.

I disagree about the trickery to win.

Just line up, know your assinments, and execute.

We should be fine as long as we don't give up a counterpunch following our points.

CWT knows Flowers' limitations and will allow him to just manage the game. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

It was a transformative moment in that director's life. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

I know Arkansas did well that year from the wildcat Mcfadden Jones and hillis. It was a sight to see.  Sadly our oline is not where it needs to be.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

As FSU awaits USF, Quinton Flowers’ toughness can’t be questioned

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff

Published: September 7, 2015   |   Updated: September 8, 2015 at 05:59 AM

TAMPA — In what is expected to be a frenetic, intimidating, ridiculously humid atmosphere, University of South Florida sophomore Quinton Flowers will make his third college start on Saturday afternoon.

When the Bulls (1-0) face the No. 10-ranked Florida State Seminoles (1-0) at Tallahassee’s Doak Campbell Stadium, Flowers will step into a nationally televised crucible that has crushed many other quarterbacks. Two years removed from Miami Jackson High — with all of 36 career USF pass attempts to his credit — Flowers has the ultimate ready-or-not challenge.

“It’s a game,†Flowers said. “It’s exciting and it’s a great opportunity to play a big-time opponent. But we’re a good team, too, and it’s a game. So we’ll go play the game.â€

Is it false confidence? Is it youthful bravado?

It is neither.

It is real.

“I don’t think there’s anything that kid can go through in football that will get him down,†USF coach Willie Taggart said. “He has been through things that most adults can’t get through. Yet he comes out here every day with a smile on his face, ready to work. He’s special.â€

Last November brought the most emotional week of Flowers’ brief football life. Taggart named him the starting quarterback against SMU. Two days before the game, Flowers was upbeat, coming off a great practice. He called home to Miami.

His brother was crying.

“Brad got shot.â€

Bradley Holt, Flowers’ stepbrother and one of his biggest confidantes, was throwing the football with neighborhood children when a drive-by shooter murdered him in the streets of Miami’s Liberty City section.

Taggart told Flowers that any game was secondary. But Flowers, although shattered inside, reminded his coach there was a job to do.

“The last time I talked to him (Holt), he said, ‘When a coach gives you an opportunity, you take advantage of it,’ †Flowers said. “Coach T sat me down and was like, ‘Can you go?’ I told him, ‘Yes sir.’ That was it.â€

Flowers made the trip to Dallas and started, eventually giving way to Mike White, who led a 14-13 comeback victory. Flowers maintained an upward trajectory into spring football, then fall camp, where he fought off Steven Bench in a spirited quarterback duel.

Flowers’ free-flowing athletic ability, perfect for the up-tempo spread offense that USF now employs, was in midseason form on Saturday night when the Bulls opened with a 51-3 victory against Florida A&M. He was 12 of 16 for 141 yards and two touchdowns — including a madcap, scrambling, stop-and-go, throwback-against-his-body scoring toss to D’Ernest Johnson that ESPN’s “SportsCenter†described as “the play of the season.’’ He also rushed for 63 yards and a breathtaking 29-yard touchdown.

“I’m never surprised at Quinton’s ability to be elusive and make plays,†Taggart said. “That’s a given.â€

So is his toughness.

When Flowers was 7, his father was shot in the neck and killed outside the family’s home. When he was in high school, his mother died after battling cancer.

“I’ve seen some people disrespect their mom before, and I always tell them, ‘Don’t do that because you don’t know when your mom is going to leave ... and when she’s gone, she’s not coming back,’ †Flowers said. “Some days, I would cry because I can’t wake up and talk to my mom. I can’t wake up and talk to my dad. I can’t even talk to my (stepbrother) who passed away.

“But I just keep going. I feel like they’re all watching over me.â€

Rest of story

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

It was a transformative moment in that director's life.

Ha looked that up would have never guessed him.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

As FSU awaits USF, Quinton Flowers’ toughness can’t be questioned

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff

Published: September 7, 2015 | Updated: September 8, 2015 at 05:59 AM

TAMPA — In what is expected to be a frenetic, intimidating, ridiculously humid atmosphere, University of South Florida sophomore Quinton Flowers will make his third college start on Saturday afternoon.

When the Bulls (1-0) face the No. 10-ranked Florida State Seminoles (1-0) at Tallahassee’s Doak Campbell Stadium, Flowers will step into a nationally televised crucible that has crushed many other quarterbacks. Two years removed from Miami Jackson High — with all of 36 career USF pass attempts to his credit — Flowers has the ultimate ready-or-not challenge.

“It’s a game,†Flowers said. “It’s exciting and it’s a great opportunity to play a big-time opponent. But we’re a good team, too, and it’s a game. So we’ll go play the game.â€

Is it false confidence? Is it youthful bravado?

It is neither.

It is real.

“I don’t think there’s anything that kid can go through in football that will get him down,†USF coach Willie Taggart said. “He has been through things that most adults can’t get through. Yet he comes out here every day with a smile on his face, ready to work. He’s special.â€

Last November brought the most emotional week of Flowers’ brief football life. Taggart named him the starting quarterback against SMU. Two days before the game, Flowers was upbeat, coming off a great practice. He called home to Miami.

His brother was crying.

“Brad got shot.â€

Bradley Holt, Flowers’ stepbrother and one of his biggest confidantes, was throwing the football with neighborhood children when a drive-by shooter murdered him in the streets of Miami’s Liberty City section.

Taggart told Flowers that any game was secondary. But Flowers, although shattered inside, reminded his coach there was a job to do.

“The last time I talked to him (Holt), he said, ‘When a coach gives you an opportunity, you take advantage of it,’ †Flowers said. “Coach T sat me down and was like, ‘Can you go?’ I told him, ‘Yes sir.’ That was it.â€

Flowers made the trip to Dallas and started, eventually giving way to Mike White, who led a 14-13 comeback victory. Flowers maintained an upward trajectory into spring football, then fall camp, where he fought off Steven Bench in a spirited quarterback duel.

Flowers’ free-flowing athletic ability, perfect for the up-tempo spread offense that USF now employs, was in midseason form on Saturday night when the Bulls opened with a 51-3 victory against Florida A&M. He was 12 of 16 for 141 yards and two touchdowns — including a madcap, scrambling, stop-and-go, throwback-against-his-body scoring toss to D’Ernest Johnson that ESPN’s “SportsCenter†described as “the play of the season.’’ He also rushed for 63 yards and a breathtaking 29-yard touchdown.

“I’m never surprised at Quinton’s ability to be elusive and make plays,†Taggart said. “That’s a given.â€

So is his toughness.

When Flowers was 7, his father was shot in the neck and killed outside the family’s home. When he was in high school, his mother died after battling cancer.

“I’ve seen some people disrespect their mom before, and I always tell them, ‘Don’t do that because you don’t know when your mom is going to leave ... and when she’s gone, she’s not coming back,’ †Flowers said. “Some days, I would cry because I can’t wake up and talk to my mom. I can’t wake up and talk to my dad. I can’t even talk to my (stepbrother) who passed away.

“But I just keep going. I feel like they’re all watching over me.â€

Rest of story

Agree... got a call one day and my mom was gone... fully agree QF

• Upvote 1