• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who's the starting QB?

Who's the starting QB?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Bench should start with a clear mentality.

JUST MANAGE THE GAME

A great defense can make up for a lot, and a running game can setup some open intermediate routes...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

This article seems to describe the offense that seems like we are trying to run. At least as I understand what we are trying to do. Seems to fit the personnel that Taggart recruited for his original power run game.

As long as whoever is QB can hit a long one once in a while and hit some short passes fairly consistently the offense can work regardless of who is running it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Bench has a gunslinger mentality we dont need that...just run the offense and make the passes when open and don't throw a stupid int.

I heard Bench on one int say he tried to throw the ball away just didn't get enough on it.

I don't care who is the qb...just want to see this team not suck.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

This article seems to describe the offense that seems like we are trying to run. At least as I understand what we are trying to do. Seems to fit the personnel that Taggart recruited for his original power run game.

As long as whoever is QB can hit a long one once in a while and hit some short passes fairly consistently the offense can work regardless of who is running it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

I would worry after watching QF that last 2 Weekends. He is an excellent Running back but I am not sure that he completed more than5 passes yesterday

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

As long as whoever is QB can hit a long one once in a while and hit some short passes fairly consistently the offense can work regardless of who is running it. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

I would worry after watching QF that last 2 Weekends. He is an excellent Running back but I am not sure that he completed more than5 passes yesterday

What do you think of his size? Looks like he might get banged up if he's running the ball a lot.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Career stats:

Bench - 75/164 1003 yards 5TDs 5 INTs (he completed 40% his first year and 49% last year).

Flowers 8/20 111 yards 0TDs 2 INTs

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

I just don't see a QB who cant move the chains with his arm doing well. I think it's clear from the poll that most believe that Flowers legs will be a difference maker but we saw how that did last year.

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...

If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not trying not knock QF I just want him to do well and the team do well and from what I have seen I dont want to hope that he magically pulls something off. I want the best option in at QB....

Leaving aside the personal issues, being a QB in that Stanford offense is much different. That offense is pound the rock and play action pass. QB is supposed to stay in the pocket and make a pass. New offense will mean QB is designed to run with a much more spread out formation so he has space to move. Last year everyone was bunched in, which works if you're trying to go over the top not so much when running.
People remember Grothe's last season - but not his first season... he had issues throwing long (wobble wobble wobble) and locking in on his primary target without going through his progressions... Grothe was a leader, a competitor, and had the heart of a lion... his work ethic and confidence made up for his skills those first couple of seasons.

He was a kid growing into a man, and learned how to read through a progression... learned how to throw a deeper ball.

One thing people forget is that Flowers is just two years removed from being the best kid on the field in most of his games. I am willing to bet that throughout his high school career he rarely had to throw down field more than 15 yards... because he would just run for 20 or 25 or more.

So he never really learned how to throw down field... and last year he played a lot of designed runs and was the scout team QB for many weeks... so it's not like he had much chance to work on that skill.

Yes, the best QB on the team right now is Woulard... but he won't be playing in 2015. I think Flowers will continue to get better... Bench will not. He's had plenty of time to learn how to make decisions, and he keeps having issues.

Having seen them both twice at practice... Flowers is better at making decisions... Flowers is the better runner... Flowers should be our starter and Bench should play only in mop-up duty or if Flowers gets hurt. Taggart should not pull Flowers just because he has a few bad series.

I guess we will have to disagree Jim. It seems to me that you are playing a long term game hoping that QF gets better through trial by fire and that just doesnt cut it for me. No way you fix QFs mechanics in three weeks though he has shown great progress since last year. To me that means give him more time with the 2s and develop him. Don't setup him up to fail.

Bench has scored more in spring game and fall ball, with his feet, in the air, and in real games at the CFB level. In our unofficial poll its clear he's the better passer (and I believe has about the same amount of tunrovers as QF) and we know everthing found on the TBP is fact.

I LOL'd .... Nice, apropos finish.  :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

I voted just based on the discussions. Didn't see anything in person to base opinion FWIW

I was thinking the same thing.

I just don't see a QB who cant move the chains with his arm doing well. I think it's clear from the poll that most believe that Flowers legs will be a difference maker but we saw how that did last year.

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...

If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not trying not knock QF I just want him to do well and the team do well and from what I have seen I dont want to hope that he magically pulls something off. I want the best option in at QB....

Not being picky... but they are playing two handed touch on the QBs and for a guy who's legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet there seems to be a lot of clips of him breaking contain and running downfield... I think the general consensus amongst the majority of people is that Flowers is a far better runner and athlete than Bench.  You are likely one of 2 people who questions who's the better runner.  Everyone's gripe is they thought he'd be a better passer... which he's not.  That's the reason many think just go with the read option and run... he'll hit some passes.  But just on tape from practice he's more athletic than Grothe... but Grothe was a leader and a good football player.  He understood how to play the game.  It remains to be seen if Flowers can do that... I honestly have no faith in Bench.  None. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I voted just based on the discussions. Didn't see anything in person to base opinion FWIW

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not being picky... but they are playing two handed touch on the QBs and for a guy who's legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet there seems to be a lot of clips of him breaking contain and running downfield... I think the general consensus amongst the majority of people is that Flowers is a far better runner and athlete than Bench. You are likely one of 2 people who questions who's the better runner. Everyone's gripe is they thought he'd be a better passer... which he's not. That's the reason many think just go with the read option and run... he'll hit some passes. But just on tape from practice he's more athletic than Grothe... but Grothe was a leader and a good football player. He understood how to play the game. It remains to be seen if Flowers can do that... I honestly have no faith in Bench. None.

post-10736-0-33290800-1439764745_thumb.j

Edited by HR Bull

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

The only thing that I see that can be realistically improved from now until the first game against FAMU is Bench making better decisions. If he can take care of the ball its a no brainer that he should start. I actually think he might have more rushing TD in camp then Flowers does which means something even in touch ball...Definelty did in the spring game...If you have seen Flowers throw he just isn't there yet and his legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet to make me think he's anywhere near BJ or Grothe. Both of those guys could throw the ball...

Not being picky... but they are playing two handed touch on the QBs and for a guy who's legs haven't materialized into anything tangible yet there seems to be a lot of clips of him breaking contain and running downfield... I think the general consensus amongst the majority of people is that Flowers is a far better runner and athlete than Bench. You are likely one of 2 people who questions who's the better runner. Everyone's gripe is they thought he'd be a better passer... which he's not. That's the reason many think just go with the read option and run... he'll hit some passes. But just on tape from practice he's more athletic than Grothe... but Grothe was a leader and a good football player. He understood how to play the game. It remains to be seen if Flowers can do that... I honestly have no faith in Bench. None.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Great movie... John Goodman actually picked up my tab once.  Super nice guy.