• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Still Want An OCS?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Thanks. But the fans choose to either sit through it or go underneath?

In similar times at RJS (which is often) that club access is a gem. At Notre Dame we had to go to basketball gym. But at least the game wasn't going on.

When fans retreat underneath for cover are there plenty of TVs to watch the game if it continues? I was surprised at the Pac12 Arizona State's stadium there are no TVs if you go underneath for shelter, food or bio break. Poor.

Sorry, I missed the TV  question. Until this year, no.  This year ( I was told)  they are installing all weather flat screens to watch while walking around the perimeter and ad at the concession stands.  Very pricey all weather units, about 6K each. 

Of course if you have club seats ...West Side or the new ESC at UCF....things are different.  Much different! :) Very plush. 

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I was looking at the new Tulane stadium, pretty cool looking. Can't believe they used to have an 80k stadium for like 50 years. It was also used for the Sugar Bowl. Then they went to the Super Dome for almost 30 years. Anyway, kinda small but the photos make it look larger than capacity. Wikipedia has several photos. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulman_Stadium

Traffic flow will be a major problem that has to be figured in to this whole mess. The joys of supporting your team can be degraded quickly from sitting in traffic. This is not a knock against an OSC. Just a reminder that a lot has to go into planning this thing.

If the stadium is built on the current campus, this won't be as bad as you think, as both Fowler and Fletcher can handle the traffic...

If the stadium is built at the MOSI site it will be a major problem, as all of the traffic would be using Fowler... I know people say that fans will park on campus and walk across Fowler to the stadium... but you aren't walking 50,000 people across the street... and people will still want to park as close as possible - which means as close to Fowler as possible... Fletcher will be hardly used with a stadium on MOSI.

The two entrances on BBD would also be useful if it was actually on campus ... although, even at the MOSI site, I do think a ton would park on campus, with Bull Runners to the stadium, so Fletcher and BBD would get heavy use once people got it figured out.

The entrances on BBD don't matter that much ... the bulk of the traffic will be heading east to I-75 or west to I-275... so they might exit on BBD, but then have to turn onto Fletcher or Fowler.

The Bull Runner busses might hold 50 people standing... and there just won't be enough of them to shuttle people effectively... especially at the end of a close game when most people stay until the end.... they would have to build a large bridge across Fowler... and with Pizzo elementary or the Patel center along Fowler - it would be quite a hike back to parking lots... (it's more than 1/2 mile from the MOSI building to the library... 3/4 of a mile to the residence halls or the lots near the Engineering buildings... and more than 3/4 of a mile to the Marshall center.

To put it in perspective... the distance from Raymond James to St. Joseph's is SHORTER than the Residence Halls or Marshall Center or Engineering Parking Lots to the current MOSI building.... so is Raymond James to the K-mart lot south of Columbus... Basically every parking space for Raymond James, including private homes in the neighorhood, is closer to the stadium than the Residence Halls/Marshall Center/Engineering Lots would be to MOSI.

(If you use the location I think is better - where the current varsity tennis courts/par course are - all of the lots on campus other than the college of medicine are closer than MOSI - and will be easier to walk just like Raymond James... and being in the middle, people will walk out in more than one direction, just like Raymond James... which would make traffic flow better.)

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Traffic flow will be a major problem that has to be figured in to this whole mess. The joys of supporting your team can be degraded quickly from sitting in traffic. This is not a knock against an OSC. Just a reminder that a lot has to go into planning this thing.

If the stadium is built on the current campus, this won't be as bad as you think, as both Fowler and Fletcher can handle the traffic...

If the stadium is built at the MOSI site it will be a major problem, as all of the traffic would be using Fowler... I know people say that fans will park on campus and walk across Fowler to the stadium... but you aren't walking 50,000 people across the street... and people will still want to park as close as possible - which means as close to Fowler as possible... Fletcher will be hardly used with a stadium on MOSI.

Back long ago when I went to the University of Florida, the alumni started coming in on I think Thursdays with their motorhomes.  They parked and camped out in an on campus lot for the game.  I don't know if there is any place we could use like that, or even if they still do it in Gainesville.  All you need is an empty lot and some RVs.

Go Bulls!

Edited by namuh-bull

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah I think best location would be north of current practice field.

One of these days.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Only pertinent thing was this:

USF confirmed to me they are in the middle of a study investigating whether to build a new football stadium on- or off-campus. However, a spokesman told me they won't talk about any specific sites right now.

And they neglected to tell him it was a 30-year study ...

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Only pertinent thing was this:

USF confirmed to me they are in the middle of a study investigating whether to build a new football stadium on- or off-campus. However, a spokesman told me they won't talk about any specific sites right now.

And they neglected to tell him it was a 30-year study ...

...and Harlan's in year two...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

I'm having the same worry about the MOSI site.  It would be fantastic to get the land for some expansion, but it's waaaaay off the SE corner from the heart of campus.   Why not put it in the Sun Dome parking lot, and just use the MOSI site to expand parking?   Or better yet near the current practice fields...     Makes it more practical to use more of the campus lots, and getting equal use of both Fowler and Fletcher for traffic is going to be very important once we start drawing 60K!!!    Wasn't the NE corner around Holly and Birch sort of 'reserved' for a stadium someday?

Edited by zerogbull

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

I'm having the same worry about the MOSI site.  It would be fantastic to get the land for some expansion, but it's waaaaay off the SE corner from the heart of campus.   Why not put it in the Sun Dome parking lot, and just use the MOSI site to expand parking?   Or better yet near the current practice fields...     Makes it more practical to use more of the campus lots, and getting equal use of both Fowler and Fletcher for traffic is going to be very important once we start drawing 60K!!!    Wasn't the NE corner around Holly and Birch sort of 'reserved' for a stadium someday?

I like it.