• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Could D'ernest Johnson start over Mack?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,671
  • Days Won:  424

If I recall correctly, DJ was supposed to start last year but for whatever reason Mack ended up with most carries. I can't remember the exact situation (injury to DJ or just big home opener from Mack).

Either way it's like 1a and 1b... not that much difference in my mind.

Tice was the one slotted to start the first game last year but got injured ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

Yea you guys got it about right, I can't take anything away from Mack. I just hope coach T finds a way to feed both of his beast.. It should be a nice fall camp competition, DJ worked his tail off.. He slimed down about 10-15 pounds n got rid of the baby fat.. He's faster.. If he dnt start running back im sure he could start receiver lol.. Or punter.. He may could start Qb honestly.. Just excited bout the upcoming season, should be a good 1 guys

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

DJ is like a doubles batter. M@ck is like a home run batter. You need both to score points.

I prefer the 3 yards, 3 yards, 3 yards, 20 yards guy myself.

But the 4, 4, 4, 4, etc guy works too.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

If I was Mack, Tice would have me looking over my shoulder. Johnson hasn't shown his speed as much as these two have. Since its Taggart all of them will play though.

Edited by usfbullrider

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

just needs to make the most of every opportunity

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

I dont think Johnson is going to "start" the season but guess what, if for whatever reason in a game Mack starts getting bottled up, next guy is gonna step in without any hesitation. PLUS I expect Johnson/Tice to get at least 30-40% of snaps that way they keep each other fresh. Especially after big runs. Staying fresh is HUGE. We have an enormous advantage at rb this year, it is def not a problem, I personally hope we get both of them on the field at the same time, because theyre both special talents

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Keeping Mack fresh will be important. I don't think he'll have 300 carries or anything. I think beyond QB runs Mack will end up with 50-60% of the carries, DJ with 20-40% and Tice 10-30%

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

I think that we should see a lot of all the RBs IMHO.

When running that up-tempo style, you need to have guys with fresh legs and I think we have those guys to pop in and out to get those yards and keep the chains moving.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

I just hope that when they rotate in and out that Kinan has enough plays that I don't know exactly which one they're running.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

Kinnan will have plenty of plays and will use different formations to run the same plays.

I've watched and been around Kinnan and his assistants while at Manatee as a family member was on his staff for a few years before his departure.

I don't mind knowing what play is going to be run as long as you can beat the defense.

Even when you know what's coming at you, you still have to make a play to stop the offense.

I expect to see a lot of short over the middle passes on curl routes following a run play as well as a few bubble screens tossed in there as well.

Kinnan loves to use the shovel pass and a draw play on long third down and long plays due to the idea of playing field position.

Just my thoughts