• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jarvis Baxter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So we should change our policy because a kid needed to take 12! hours over the summer just get his GPA up high enough to reach the absolute minimum to be eligible? That's a full semester of classes his GPA was behind. What the hell has he been doing to prepare for transfer the past two years?

No idea what he has been doing but a kid that is taking and passing extra courses does not sound like someone who would slack at the next level. To me it sounds like a kid that is doing what he can to make up for something that was lacking, not only attempting it but achieving it. Kudos top him for doing what needs to be done and doing it well enough to achieve his goals. I suggested reviewing it. At the minimum there should be exceptions to this 9 hour thing. To lose a kid to a school like OU because we would not count 1 extra class he took just seems silly. I imagine this is a rare circumstance.

These are not extra classes. His grade point AVERAGE was below a 1.5 for his entire academic career. He needed 12 hours just to mathematically give himself a chance at bringing it up. The kid isn't dabbling in some extra quantum physics courses to get a jump start on his prerequisites. If OU wants to let him walk on, that's their call. As someone in higher education, Baxter is a red flag for me. I'd rather see CWT give a scholarship to a kid who doesn't have the possibility of being lost to grades down the road.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Clearly, the academic committee has struck again ... 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There is no academic committee anymore

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Score one for GA ...

thisisbait.png

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So....

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

' As someone in higher education, Baxter is a red flag for me. I'd rather see CWT give a scholarship to a kid who doesn't have the possibility of being lost to grades down the road.

Agree but I think USF offered him initially last Fall when he was on track to qualify. However it seems that between now and then he must of had some GPA killing classes that wound up killing his chances of ever qualifying. I imagine that if he would have gotten straight A's in his summer coursework it might have allowed hi to squeeze by....but it wound up being more of a Hail Mary attempt than anything else.

I'm not sure why folks are getting so worked up....it's not like we are losing our best recruits to grades as we did back Leavitt's early days where 5-7 NQs were the norm. Every school loses a talented recruit or two every year. Baxter wasn't the first NQ and won't be our last.

This will only hurt if Baxter turns out to be the next Jerry Rice, otherwise we are going to be ok.

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,309
  • Days Won:  10

Time will tell if Baxter can cut it.  Maybe he will make his major - Sports Education

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

' As someone in higher education, Baxter is a red flag for me. I'd rather see CWT give a scholarship to a kid who doesn't have the possibility of being lost to grades down the road.

Agree but I think USF offered him initially last Fall when he was on track to qualify. However it seems that between now and then he must of had some GPA killing classes that wound up killing his chances of ever qualifying. I imagine that if he would have gotten straight A's in his summer coursework it might have allowed hi to squeeze by....but it wound up being more of a Hail Mary attempt than anything else.

I'm not sure why folks are getting so worked up....it's not like we are losing our best recruits to grades as we did back Leavitt's early days where 5-7 NQs were the norm. Every school loses a talented recruit or two every year. Baxter wasn't the first NQ and won't be our last.

This will only hurt if Baxter turns out to be the next Jerry Rice, and USF plays OU in a bowl game, otherwise we are going to be ok.

FIFY☺

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

That is what they want you to believe!