• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton Flowers QB, Miami Jackson HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I really think you guys are overly obsessed with playing time at QB.  Yes, QBs transfer to get playing time since you are normally either playing or sitting at the position, unlike other positions where you can get PT even if you aren't the starter.  But lots of QBs stay with one college their entire career and don't get on the field much.

Brad Johnson started six games in college and went on to a very successful pro career.  Lots of others have been backups in college and been successful coaches or a success in life.  Everyone wants to get on the field, but there is more to college life than being the star QB.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I've read about back ups from FBS going anywhere they can to play, including JUCO and FCS. You have one shot at college, why spend it on the bench?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I've read about back ups from FBS going anywhere they can to play, including JUCO and FCS. You have one shot at college, why spend it on the bench?

Yet you spend the rest of your time promoting a kid who has zero offers and would never stand a chance of playing at USF.  Keep reading.

Oh, and you haven't read anywhere, anytime about a backup FBS QB going to play JUCO Ball. That doesn't even make sense.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Yet you spend the rest of your time promoting a kid who has zero offers and would never stand a chance of playing at USF.  Keep reading.

Oh, and you haven't read anywhere, anytime about a backup FBS QB going to play JUCO Ball. That doesn't even make sense.

You are so clueless. First off, season isn't over and only recruits know if they have offers. He is about to lead his team into the playoffs for the top

division in the toughest region in GA. Check back closer to signing day.

Second, yeah, FBS backups go to JUCO so they can be re-recruited somewhere they can start without sitting a year and be re-recruited.  You want names, start with Matt Davis at Texas A&M. It was a route Everett Golson considered, but has decided to try to get back to Notre Dame next year.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Cam Newton?   Blinn College for one year. Just a thought.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Yet you spend the rest of your time promoting a kid who has zero offers and would never stand a chance of playing at USF. Keep reading.

Cam Newton? Blinn College for one year. Just a thought.

He was my first thought too.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Scam Newton had to go JUCO because he was kicked out of UF

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Wow spiraled out of ol.

So even if White is a stud and starts every game the next 3, it may take a patient kid, but redshirt next year. Backup QB with some wildcat packages for 2 years. Start last 2 years if good enough.

May be an easier sell next year, but it may be nice to have an experienced QB take over for once. We just seemed to go from one to the next (for the most part) with freshman starting most of the games: Grothe, Daniels, White (if he in fact starts the next 3 years and 4 games).

You really think someone who can start in a year or two at WR in the SEC is going to sit for years in the AAC waiting to be the QB? Really?
If he really wants to give it a real shot to play QB, then yes. He wouldn't be so adiment about wanting to play QB and not other positions if that was the case. Elite high school football players are full of self confidence
And if he gets the job, nothing to stop White from leaving.
If you look at it that way there's nothing to stop him from transferring now. Not every QB that loses a QB competition transfers btw.

The more I look at it, the more I find, I was searching for the details of the Florida backup that transferred and found an FSU backup QB transfer. You have to remember that Bench transferred from PSU, I don't think it was to sit on the bench, so you wonder what he's going to do if White is it for the rest of the season, will he leave next season if he doesn't win the job?

Of course the more you look for something the more you will find it it's a decently common event. You're always going to find more when you look for something that you've never focused on before in that case. However it's not as common as you make it out to be because if it was non programs with entrenched starters would have scholarship back QBs. You're making it out to be a certainty that a kid will always transfer if he loses a QB competition which certainly isn't the case. Why would there be any QBs on the roster at FSU if that's the case? Most kids who are second string know they're just one hit away from being the starter so they usually stay. The kids that transfer are usually third stringers who don't want to hold a clip board (Trickett Bench, Ely) or kids who were the back up and are being phased out by incoming recruits (what made bench expendable at PSU). Also some kids just stay where they won't play because they like the school, the coaching staff and their teammates enough to not want to leave.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

We're REALLY off topic here, but I'll pile on.

A good back up is only an injury away from playing time (see Grothe, Matt).  Trickett went to WVU, surely expecting to start.  He got a whiff, then became 2nd or 3rd QB.  Then Childress goes down, Millard sucks and Trickett becomes the de facto QB (and likely will lead them to a bowl game, even at 6-6).

Point is (back on topic), if Flowers comes here to compete at QB, he could win.  Or, he could be close enough to be one hit away from starting (Mike White is NOT the strongest guy on the team...heck, our PK is 2x as strong.  But in fairness, Kloss is stronger than everyone in our secondary, and maybe some LBs, but I digress).

Flowers has a shot, White & Bench aren't locks, and if it doesn't work out, and he wants to make an impact, he can play WR.  We'll find a way to get talent on the field (now that Holtz is gone).

Then there is the Tonya Harding way to eliminate the competition.