• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mandel: Charlie Strong got a Second Chance and Doesnt Intend to Waste It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Ionbull said:

Ill honestly be disappointed if the offense takes two steps back and the defense takes one step forward and we lose games because we don't score enough. I find it hard to believe it'll come to that, but that is my fear for sure.

Aside from the new OC, and Strong talking about slowing things down, the loss of Adams and Mack would probably be my biggest concern on offense. Though there will be capable replacements for those two, not sure we have anybody on the roster who will be quite the home run threat that either of those guys presented. Not sure how much that will affect QF, but I would think there has to be fewer quick-strike TDs this year, and more slightly prolonged drives, which CCS seems to prefer anyway.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Aside from the new OC, and Strong talking about slowing things down, the loss of Adams and Mack would probably be my biggest concern on offense. Though there will be capable replacements for those two, not sure we have anybody on the roster who will be quite the home run threat that either of those guys presented. Not sure how much that will affect QF, but I would think there has to be fewer quick-strike TDs this year, and more slightly prolonged drives, which CCS seems to prefer anyway.

This is a fair point, and may work out in our favor under a Gilbert offense. There was a lot of improv with the GCO, and our three headed monster made up for some odd calls with sheer athleticism and escapibility. It's possible we see more sustainability. It was always frustrating to see the offense stall out in one minute cause the jet sweep or bubble screen didn't work.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

5 hours ago, E.T. said:

Wish our attendance was as high as Texas ... high school's. 

True!

39 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

This is a fair point, and may work out in our favor under a Gilbert offense. There was a lot of improv with the GCO, and our three headed monster made up for some odd calls with sheer athleticism and escapibility. It's possible we see more sustainability. It was always frustrating to see the offense stall out in one minute cause the jet sweep or bubble screen didn't work.

True. I think the loss of two of the three-headed monster changes things for QF, especially the loss of Mack. QF and MM on the read option had to make defenses nervous. I would imagine they could key in on QF a little more now without the threat of MM taking it the distance at any time. It's possible we could see the run/pass ratio tilt a little more to a higher passing percentage. Not certain what that will look like.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

True. I think the loss of two of the three-headed monster changes things for QF, especially the loss of Mack. QF and MM on the read option had to make defenses nervous. I would imagine they could key in on QF a little more now without the threat of MM taking it the distance at any time. It's possible we could see the run/pass ratio tilt a little more to a higher passing percentage. Not certain what that will look like.

Dj is a better pass catcher out the backfield anyway than Mack so I agree we will see more passing. Plus we still have Mccants, Bronson, and MVS with Dillon and Wilcox. That is a ton of targets, so I expect a spread still, but more of a pro style, tighter spread to hit quick passes and run a bit more traditionally

9 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Dj is a better pass catcher out the backfield anyway than Mack so I agree we will see more passing. Plus we still have Mccants, Bronson, and MVS with Dillon and Wilcox. That is a ton of targets, so I expect a spread still, but more of a pro style, tighter spread to hit quick passes and run a bit more traditionally

No doubt we have plenty of targets, but I doubt the offense will be quite as effective as last year, but it should still be a very good offense. Hopefully if there's any drop-off in the offense, there is at least that much of a gain in the defense, which I'm pretty confident will be the case. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Don't forget about Salomon. I think he makes some noise this off season and earns some touches. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

More targets don't help when Flowers misses the 7 yard pass to his right. 

The loss of Mack will be the largest hurdle for the offense to overcome. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

No doubt we have plenty of targets, but I doubt the offense will be quite as effective as last year, but it should still be a very good offense. Hopefully if there's any drop-off in the offense, there is at least that much of a gain in the defense, which I'm pretty confident will be the case. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

That's my hope. I'd be fine with losing a TD a game on offense if the defense can keep 10-14 points off the board in the other direction.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

9 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Prediction...10 months from now TBP will be calling for CCS's firing.

9 months

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2