• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excellent Article Exposing Current S&C Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Explosive athletes are born that way, and it is apparent to the trained eye when they are children.  "Sproingy" little kids are standouts in youth sports. Those of us that played against them remember the embarrassment quite clearly.

Why measure what an athlete can do when we can just look at them and determine their "Sproingy" level?

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

If he was as good as he thinks he is, he'd already be working for a professional or college team. I don't care what he says about wanting to remain self-employed. The Patriots could easily give him a million dollars if they thought he could provide an advantage and he'd take it in a heartbeat.

"I have never served as a strength coach for a university or professional sports team" and now you're going to tell me how they're doing it wrong? That's like me saying, "I never went to medical school nor have I ever been a doctor, but you're doing that brain surgery wrong."

If you had cared to read the whole article, he answers this question later in the article.

Quotes I thought that were interesting and that IMO pertain to USF football at one time or another:

"If the kids are out of gas by the fourth quarter, you either have a strength problem or a nutrition problem which should be addressed at halftime. Mashing your athletes into a stinking mass of goo with excess conditioning will almost always make the problem worse."

and this gem:

"Oftentimes, coaches will brag about not lifting heavy, and how they focus on "core strength," "functional training," and speed/agility movements instead. This is simply a layer of ******** to cover for the fact that they are not sufficiently competent to coach an athlete capable of squatting 600 for reps."

I thought it was a good read and he brings up valid points, but I have no experience in lifting. Maybe someone can chime in who does.

Do you even lift, bro?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

WW3QX.jpg

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Did that guy live through that? Looks like a very deadly accident

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,685
  • Days Won:  8

So the point of his article is that coaching could be better? I had a great lifting coach in highschool and honestly can't imagine that D1 coaches would Not be as good or worse.

The authors claim to fame as far as I know it is authoring the book "starting strength" that covers strength building for untrained persons and form of the exercises.

All over the Internet lifting and bodybuilding forums all swear by this starting strength protocol for beginners to perform until they can squat like 300 or 400 lbs.

The protocol is something like this

3 days a week alternating A and B workouts With a rest day inbetween.

A

3x5 squat

3x5 bench

1x5 Deadlift

Rest day

B

3x5 squat

3x5 standing overhead press

3x5 power cleans

His nutrition protocol is to drink 1 gallon of milk a day. No joke that is his weight and strength building diet. GOMAD (gallon of milk a day).

He was involved with crossfit but I believe parted ways after some disagreement.

I agree with some of his comments in the article, but not everything.

I'm not really sure there is a problem wide spread enough to merit criticism. Nearly every D1 football player is totally massive from what I have seen. I guess size does not equal strength, but they all look strong.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

The topic of this thread is misleading.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

usf football has failed because we havent had a good qb and there has been a dearth of talent

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

usf football has failed because we havent had a good qb and there has been a dearth of talent

There's no feeling worse than agreeing with you.

Edited by Raetus

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,574
  • Days Won:  423

https://www.t-nation.com/training/current-state-of-sc-coaching

The guy is a top extremely reputable S&C trainer and hes calling out all the universities and coaches on their bad strength trainings.

It makes sense that our teams in the Leavitt years could compete, maybe it was due to our superior S&C? You be the judge..

What is your take?

How could we have had "superior S&C" back then when God's gift to S&C has apparently never been a strength coach for a university ...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Kinda drivelish