• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Game 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I'm trying to figure out when has the soring gane ever been good in a season we had decent teams. It never has. We didn't start seeing scoring until Skip got here. Daniels and Grothe never lit it up in the spring...eell BJ did one year under skip and the defense was garbage. Shoot... Matt threw 2 picks in 2009 apring game and the offense played line ****. That was the year we beat FSU, when BJ was a freshman.

I'm new to this but it seems like USF fans are forgetting history. This reminds me very much of a CJL spring game. I dont get the dooms day talk.

:lmao: . You're just conveniently ignoring that we've had an offense ranked in the triple digits 2 years in a row with Taggart. If there was history like with Leavitt's teams where the offense never really struggled to score some points then no one should be worried. However, it is the COMPLETE opposite under Taggart.

LOL! We had some terrible offenses under CJL for sure. Anyone remember Ronnie B or Pat J?? The difference is the D was always solid under Wally.

So... lets break it down.

Offensive Rankings under Leavitt

2009: 62

2008: 30

2007: 37

2006: 40

2005: 71

2004: 84

Offensive Rankings under Taggart

2013: 124

2014: 120

We didn't become a D1 team until 2001 so I think it's fair to leave out the first few years of those stats (2001-2003), and also because ESPN doesn't have past 2004. I don't think anything before D1 should even be discussed. Add on top of that our football program was less than 7 years old before the 2004 season.

After 2004 - I even think 84 is pathetic, but compared to what we've had under Taggart that's a heck of a lot better. Which is just sad to say. Our offenses were respectable to really good 2005-2009. So a CJL coached team whose offense struggles in the spring game is a lot different than the guru that Willie Taggart is on offense and his offense struggling in a spring game.

Spring games should be taken with a grain of salt for every program, but my point is USF2011Grad made it seem like anyone worried is silly. Anyone NOT worried is somewhat outside of their minds.... 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

We shall see how QB Kean does! May be his job before it is all said & done.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159

I'm trying to figure out when has the soring gane ever been good in a season we had decent teams. It never has. We didn't start seeing scoring until Skip got here. Daniels and Grothe never lit it up in the spring...eell BJ did one year under skip and the defense was garbage. Shoot... Matt threw 2 picks in 2009 apring game and the offense played line ****. That was the year we beat FSU, when BJ was a freshman.

I'm new to this but it seems like USF fans are forgetting history. This reminds me very much of a CJL spring game. I dont get the dooms day talk.

:lmao: . You're just conveniently ignoring that we've had an offense ranked in the triple digits 2 years in a row with Taggart. If there was history like with Leavitt's teams where the offense never really struggled to score some points then no one should be worried. However, it is the COMPLETE opposite under Taggart.

LOL! We had some terrible offenses under CJL for sure. Anyone remember Ronnie B or Pat J?? The difference is the D was always solid under Wally.

So... lets break it down.

Offensive Rankings under Leavitt

2009: 62

2008: 30

2007: 37

2006: 40

2005: 71

2004: 84

Offensive Rankings under Taggart

2013: 124

2014: 120

We didn't become a D1 team until 2001 so I think it's fair to leave out the first few years of those stats (2001-2003), and also because ESPN doesn't have past 2004. I don't think anything before D1 should even be discussed. Add on top of that our football program was less than 7 years old before the 2004 season.

After 2004 - I even think 84 is pathetic, but compared to what we've had under Taggart that's a heck of a lot better. Which is just sad to say. Our offenses were respectable to really good 2005-2009. So a CJL coached team whose offense struggles in the spring game is a lot different than the guru that Willie Taggart is on offense and his offense struggling in a spring game.

Spring games should be taken with a grain of salt for every program, but my point is USF2011Grad made it seem like anyone worried is silly. Anyone NOT worried is somewhat outside of their minds.... 

Now that I've had a day to digest the spring game, I honestly feel it was positive the offense didn't run wild over the defense.  That would have had everyone here saying the defense will be terrible this year.  The defense took it to the offense as they should in spring games.  As I've said before, under CJL (coach leavitt) we never had great spring games.  I remember Grothe and Daniels throwing a few interceptions in them over the years.  I also recall a lot of criticizing of B.J. that almost mirrors what is being said about Flowers.  

Look... The offensive line is a unit.  They have to play together to be good.  When you have mixed lines there really isn't any continuity there.  When the ones are together and everyone is healthy and here, I think they will be fine.  I think Bethel (that JUCO All American guy) will likely start.  Flowers will be more dynamic because it wont be a game of touch with the QB.  That guy has some serious feet...  Tice, Mack, and Johnson are going to give us an above average running game.  We could likely say we have the best three deep and RB in the conference.  I feel the WR and TE play will be fine.  I don't see doom and gloom.  The wind affected the passing game no doubt.  I think once he's run enough with the guys who he will be throwing to regularly, the will develop chemistry.  People forget, this is first spring practice.  The kid is coming along fine.

The defense had a few mental errors but they played fast and hard.  We haven't seen the defense play like this in spring ball in a while.  I really think this team could be poised to have a good season.  I saw a spring game that reminded me of a spring game.  Not this arena crap we've had since 2010 when you know who took over.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Good post man ^^^^^

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

We should be worried if the defense didn't look good because they should be the better unit.

I like the fact that the teams going back to what they do best...alot of speed on defense and hard hitting and none of that play 10 yards off the receivers and never blitzing garbage. Offense going back to a more spread offense and getting athletes and speedster on the field is maybe best move Cwt has done. Might not even be his call. But I'm glad we won't see on offense what we had before.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159

We should be worried if the defense didn't look good because they should be the better unit.

I like the fact that the teams going back to what they do best...alot of speed on defense and hard hitting and none of that play 10 yards off the receivers and never blitzing garbage. Offense going back to a more spread offense and getting athletes and speedster on the field is maybe best move Cwt has done. Might not even be his call. But I'm glad we won't see on offense what we had before.

Exactly.  I do think Taggart was the one who changed the offense though.  It's basically a power run spread so I'm not expecting to see big passing numbers.  I think we will get about the same production we got from Grothe and Daniels at the QB position.  What I think could make this team different than a lot of teams we've had in the past is we have a go to RB.  We have a guy who is "The man" back there.  We know he's going to run a lot.  We also have depth at the 2 and 3 RBs.  I think this type of offense will do well.  I just like at how Tice and Mack played knowing Johnson is going to be  back too... Dillion showing early he'll be a weapon.  I see a team that may come together nicely.  We have some talent and now they have some experience under their belt.  We basically have played with true freshmen and sophomores for the past two seasons and virtually no QB play to speak of.  At least Flowers can be productive with his feet when all else fails.  White and Bench couldn't do that.

I think we're straight which is why I'm purchasing season tickets for the first time since 2011.  What did they they call it?  Taggarts bus?  Well I just bought a seat.  This team will be fun to watch because "that defense could actually be pretty pretty good." (Larry David voice)

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,254
  • Days Won:  1

I read the Taggart wants to name the starter before fall practice. Wouldn't he be better to wait until a few days before our first game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,568
  • Days Won:  423

All he said is "I dont get the dooms day talk." He also said he's fairly new here ...... He'll learn that there's dooms day talk even in the best of times.

Bottom line is that it boils back down to the optimist/pessimist angle again. Optimists will take whatever they can out of the game to try and build a case for hope for the season .... and there's nothing wrong with that. Pessimists' stance is basically that we've sucked in the regular season for two years and will continue to suck until we don't .... and you really can't effectively argue against that at this time.... and neither side will have much effect on the other.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,568
  • Days Won:  423

I read the Taggart wants to name the starter before fall practice. Wouldn't he be better to wait until a few days before our first game

He said he'd like to but not that he has to ....

"We're going to go back and evaluate this entire spring and if we feel comfortable we'll name a quarterback as the starter," Taggart said.

"If we don't, then we'll go into the fall. But I think it's important that we eventually name (one) so that guy can go and be the leader, and this entire football team knows who their leader is going to be and can get behind him and get rolling."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-still-adjusting-to-new-offense/2223257