• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Game 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

To put into perspective how far we were in the crapper... when Taggart got here he inherited a team that had Boby Eveld (a walk-on who was terrible) and Matt Floyd (who was just completely terrible).  The first thing he had to do was find a QB.  He got White but that guy needed to redshirt his frosh year and then Steven Bench.  We were terrible.  I think it was a miracle we won 2 game that year.  That was  0-12 team in terms of talent.  Should not have won a game.

Last year there most of skips dead weight got tossed.  Most of the starters and significant contributers were first and second year players.... and the 3-4 was not good for us.  The skill positions on offense were all young guys just about.  I also think there were scheme issues, the schemes didn't match the players skills.

This was the year I was looking to when we got a new coach.  This is the season I thought the guys would be mature enough and physically developed enough to compete at a high level.  Because prior to last season, they did not look like college football players.  Guys were small and not strong.  I don't honestly see how anyone expected even a .500 team last year but obviously many did.  I don't know, I just look at things for what they are and not how I want them to be.  If I thought we were going to suck, I wouldn't have even googled usf sports blogs and joined this one.  I thought more people would be excited given where we came from.  I guess I was wrong.  Oh well.  

Good points. There's no doubt our program was left for dead with what Holtz did. Taggart was given barely anything to work with. What he had at QB that first year was nothing short of a disaster. I will never agree that we should have lost to McNeese State at home but do agree any wins against D1 competition that first year were a plus.

I posted last year before the season started that I projected our record to be 4-8. I thought Tulsa and SMU would've been a heck of a lot more convincing but it is what it is. Maybe I'm too critical, but I just really think a good football coach finds a way to score some points against a mediocre at best UCF team at home last year. A good football coach finds a way to beat Maryland at home when the defense forces 6 turnovers. Those are just red flags to me. I don't expect Taggart to be a miracle worker and have us win the conference last year or this year. I just expect to score some points against average AAC competition at home in his 24th game as the head coach and a couple of recruiting classes in. Is that too much to ask for? I don't think so. 

This team is going to continue to improve based on, 1) it pretty much has to, 2) the younger more talented players have experience under their belt and have had time to develop, 3) the AAC is just downright terrible (We're apart of that)

I think people are excited. Shoot, I'm excited for the season and to see where we are at. I just think a lot of people's expectations are extremely tempered at this point and I think that should be easy to understand why. Taggart has yet to show me a reason for me to think he's the man who will get us back to what we once were (whether people think that's respectability or not). I think he's been fantastic as far as bringing in talent but everything else has left a lot to be desired, especially what he's brought to the table offensively.  

Taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being a pessimist

If you think someone saying "our offense has been god awful the last 2 seasons (fact) and the offense in the spring game was poor (fact), so it's worrisome considering all the facts going into next season" is a pessimist then we're never going to agree on that.

Sure it is. Just like taking facts and experience into consideration can lead to optimism. They're both points of view that you form based on what facts and experience you want to incorporate. Pessimists just take the glass half empty stance:

Full Definition of PESSIMISM
:  an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome

And stop acting like I'm using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards you here. I'm not. As I said before, your pessimism is warranted based on past results. 2011Grad's optimism is based is on the way he's looking at things.

Now you're turning words around. I never said taking facts and experiences into consideration couldn't lead someone to be pessimistic or optimistic. I said taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being pessimistic or a pessimist. 

I will stop acting like you're using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards me and refer to you calling me a hater  :GoBulls: .

You'd have a stronger case there .....  ;)

I wish nothing but the best for USF, will always be a season ticket holder, and will be at every game screaming my tail off just like I have been since I first started school there 10 years ago. If me being unhappy with the job Taggart has done to this point makes me a hater to people on this board then I've heard it all and will just look other places to talk USF sports.  :iconic_u_black:

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159

To put into perspective how far we were in the crapper... when Taggart got here he inherited a team that had Boby Eveld (a walk-on who was terrible) and Matt Floyd (who was just completely terrible). The first thing he had to do was find a QB. He got White but that guy needed to redshirt his frosh year and then Steven Bench. We were terrible. I think it was a miracle we won 2 game that year. That was 0-12 team in terms of talent. Should not have won a game.

Last year there most of skips dead weight got tossed. Most of the starters and significant contributers were first and second year players.... and the 3-4 was not good for us. The skill positions on offense were all young guys just about. I also think there were scheme issues, the schemes didn't match the players skills.

This was the year I was looking to when we got a new coach. This is the season I thought the guys would be mature enough and physically developed enough to compete at a high level. Because prior to last season, they did not look like college football players. Guys were small and not strong. I don't honestly see how anyone expected even a .500 team last year but obviously many did. I don't know, I just look at things for what they are and not how I want them to be. If I thought we were going to suck, I wouldn't have even googled usf sports blogs and joined this one. I thought more people would be excited given where we came from. I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

Good points. There's no doubt our program was left for dead with what Holtz did. Taggart was given barely anything to work with. What he had at QB that first year was nothing short of a disaster. I will never agree that we should have lost to McNeese State at home but do agree any wins against D1 competition that first year were a plus.

I posted last year before the season started that I projected our record to be 4-8. I thought Tulsa and SMU would've been a heck of a lot more convincing but it is what it is. Maybe I'm too critical, but I just really think a good football coach finds a way to score some points against a mediocre at best UCF team at home last year. A good football coach finds a way to beat Maryland at home when the defense forces 6 turnovers. Those are just red flags to me. I don't expect Taggart to be a miracle worker and have us win the conference last year or this year. I just expect to score some points against average AAC competition at home in his 24th game as the head coach and a couple of recruiting classes in. Is that too much to ask for? I don't think so.

This team is going to continue to improve based on, 1) it pretty much has to, 2) the younger more talented players have experience under their belt and have had time to develop, 3) the AAC is just downright terrible (We're apart of that)

I think people are excited. Shoot, I'm excited for the season and to see where we are at. I just think a lot of people's expectations are extremely tempered at this point and I think that should be easy to understand why. Taggart has yet to show me a reason for me to think he's the man who will get us back to what we once were (whether people think that's respectability or not). I think he's been fantastic as far as bringing in talent but everything else has left a lot to be desired, especially what he's brought to the table offensively.

Oh trust me, I cantotally relate to where you're coming from. I was there since 2011 so I don't blame anyone fir being there. I was just commenting as there seemed to be no optimism in regards to the season. I finally saw something that pulled me over . I hope I'm right. For my own sake because I swore I wouldn't allow myself ti be dragged into a crappy season emotionally. But I feel pretty good about this for some ofd reason. Maybe we will revisit this post during the season and things are good.

Question, do they cover recruiting here?

To put into perspective how far we were in the crapper... when Taggart got here he inherited a team that had Boby Eveld (a walk-on who was terrible) and Matt Floyd (who was just completely terrible). The first thing he had to do was find a QB. He got White but that guy needed to redshirt his frosh year and then Steven Bench. We were terrible. I think it was a miracle we won 2 game that year. That was 0-12 team in terms of talent. Should not have won a game.

Last year there most of skips dead weight got tossed. Most of the starters and significant contributers were first and second year players.... and the 3-4 was not good for us. The skill positions on offense were all young guys just about. I also think there were scheme issues, the schemes didn't match the players skills.

This was the year I was looking to when we got a new coach. This is the season I thought the guys would be mature enough and physically developed enough to compete at a high level. Because prior to last season, they did not look like college football players. Guys were small and not strong. I don't honestly see how anyone expected even a .500 team last year but obviously many did. I don't know, I just look at things for what they are and not how I want them to be. If I thought we were going to suck, I wouldn't have even googled usf sports blogs and joined this one. I thought more people would be excited given where we came from. I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

Oh trust me, I cantotally relate to where you're coming from. I was there since 2011 so I don't blame anyone fir being there. I was just commenting as there seemed to be no optimism in regards to the season. I finally saw something that pulled me over . I hope I'm right. For my own sake because I swore I wouldn't allow myself ti be dragged into a crappy season emotionally. But I feel pretty good about this for some ofd reason. Maybe we will revisit this post during the season and things are good.

Crossing my fingers you're right!

http://thebullspen.com/forum/21-prospects-potential-recruits-board/

Is where you'll find info on that kind of stuff. 

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

We should be worried if the defense didn't look good because they should be the better unit.

I like the fact that the teams going back to what they do best...alot of speed on defense and hard hitting and none of that play 10 yards off the receivers and never blitzing garbage. Offense going back to a more spread offense and getting athletes and speedster on the field is maybe best move Cwt has done. Might not even be his call. But I'm glad we won't see on offense what we had before.

I think we're straight which is why I'm purchasing season tickets for the first time since 2011.  What did they they call it?  Taggarts bus?  Well I just bought a seat.  This team will be fun to watch because "that defense could actually be pretty pretty good." (Larry David voice)

Wait someone isn't getting rid of there tickets but actually buy tickets... WOW 

We should be worried if the defense didn't look good because they should be the better unit.

I like the fact that the teams going back to what they do best...alot of speed on defense and hard hitting and none of that play 10 yards off the receivers and never blitzing garbage. Offense going back to a more spread offense and getting athletes and speedster on the field is maybe best move Cwt has done. Might not even be his call. But I'm glad we won't see on offense what we had before.

I think we're straight which is why I'm purchasing season tickets for the first time since 2011.  What did they they call it?  Taggarts bus?  Well I just bought a seat.  This team will be fun to watch because "that defense could actually be pretty pretty good." (Larry David voice)

LOL... yup We sucked so bad after I graduated I had time to get ahead with some disposable income that would have otherwise gone to me trying to make it to a couple of away games.  So for me if our crappy play was a financial blessing.  Now it's time to burn a hole in the wallet.  We need to win.  If we can just get to 7-5... anything else would be gravy.  But that's all I need to get me fully convinced we are heading forward.  

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

LOL... yup We sucked so bad after I graduated I had time to get ahead with some disposable income that would have otherwise gone to me trying to make it to a couple of away games.  So for me if our crappy play was a financial blessing.  Now it's time to burn a hole in the wallet.  We need to win.  If we can just get to 7-5... anything else would be gravy.  But that's all I need to get me fully convinced we are heading forward.

Welcome to the season ticket family! Glad to have you. USF is due to go bowling soon!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

http://thebullspen.com/forum/21-prospects-potential-recruits-board/

Is where you'll find info on that kind of stuff. 

And this link will show you ALL unread posts in all threads in all forums. There's even a passworded politics thread called the mad cow

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums