• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Game 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

Spring games should be taken with a grain of salt for every program, but my point is USF2011Grad made it seem like anyone worried is silly. Anyone NOT worried is somewhat outside of their minds....

All he said is "I dont get the dooms day talk." He also said he's fairly new here ...... He'll learn that there's dooms day talk even in the best of times.

Bottom line is that it boils back down to the optimist/pessimist angle again. Optimists will take whatever they can out of the game to try and build a case for hope for the season .... and there's nothing wrong with that. Pessimists' stance is basically that we've sucked in the regular season for two years and will continue to suck until we don't .... and you really can't effectively argue against that at this time.... and neither side will have much effect on the other.

I never didn't say anyone who is worried was silly.  All I was saying is I don't  understand the doomsday talk.  I don't see it this year.  I've been disgusted with USF since 2011.  I just didn't see anything there.  We had a depletion in talent under Holtz with virtually zero player development on either side of the ball, we went from 8-5 to 3-9.  We went to  Taggart and I knew there was no way this team would be any good for at least 3 years.  If anyone thought that, they were delusional.

I think Taggat's biggest problem was the talent he brought in was too young and too inexperienced.  We virtually played 2 seasons with mostly freshman and sophomores.  It's crazy anyone thought we'd be any good.  I attended spring practices under Leavitt, Skip and Taggart now.  All I am saying is that I don't get the doom and gloom talk.  I didn't say you anyone was silly for stating their opinion.  I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you silly.  That's not me.  I don't do that.

I just think the spring practice went like normal spring practices go.  We just got use to the outlier spring games that were well... not a lot of good defense being played.  

Edited by USF2011Grad

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159

To put into perspective how far we were in the crapper... when Taggart got here he inherited a team that had Boby Eveld (a walk-on who was terrible) and Matt Floyd (who was just completely terrible).  The first thing he had to do was find a QB.  He got White but that guy needed to redshirt his frosh year and then Steven Bench.  We were terrible.  I think it was a miracle we won 2 game that year.  That was  0-12 team in terms of talent.  Should not have won a game.

Last year there most of skips dead weight got tossed.  Most of the starters and significant contributers were first and second year players.... and the 3-4 was not good for us.  The skill positions on offense were all young guys just about.  I also think there were scheme issues, the schemes didn't match the players skills.

This was the year I was looking to when we got a new coach.  This is the season I thought the guys would be mature enough and physically developed enough to compete at a high level.  Because prior to last season, they did not look like college football players.  Guys were small and not strong.  I don't honestly see how anyone expected even a .500 team last year but obviously many did.  I don't know, I just look at things for what they are and not how I want them to be.  If I thought we were going to suck, I wouldn't have even googled usf sports blogs and joined this one.  I thought more people would be excited given where we came from.  I guess I was wrong.  Oh well.  

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

cant wait until the real games start

i suspect this is taggert's last year

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

Spring games should be taken with a grain of salt for every program, but my point is USF2011Grad made it seem like anyone worried is silly. Anyone NOT worried is somewhat outside of their minds....

All he said is "I dont get the dooms day talk." He also said he's fairly new here ...... He'll learn that there's dooms day talk even in the best of times.

Bottom line is that it boils back down to the optimist/pessimist angle again. Optimists will take whatever they can out of the game to try and build a case for hope for the season .... and there's nothing wrong with that. Pessimists' stance is basically that we've sucked in the regular season for two years and will continue to suck until we don't .... and you really can't effectively argue against that at this time.... and neither side will have much effect on the other.

Maybe I read too much into the "I don't get the doomsday talk", but the way I read it was like there was no reason for it?

When there is every reason for it on the offensive side of the ball unless we should just ignore what Willie Taggart has produced the last 2 years? Or is that part of being a pessimist? Taking into consideration what has happened in the last few years? I disagree on that. I don't expect our offense to get worse, I expect us to improve a little bit on that side. Is that a pessimistic angle too? However, I don't expect us to improve enough to be respectable (an average offensive ranking in college football (low 60s) on that side because I can't ignore what I've seen and what Taggart has produced on that side of the ball HIS ENTIRE HEAD COACHING CAREER. Taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being a pessimist. 

We must have different definitions of pessimists. To me, a pessimist is someone who expects the WORST in everything. If that were the case, I'd expect us to get WORSE from last year's 4-8 record (I don't, I expect us to go 5-7 or 6-6. Is that a pessimistic angle?) then the program be in an even WORSE state in a few years, something like oh I bet they get moved down to FCS at this rate. That's being a pessimist in my book.  

If you think someone saying "our offense has been god awful the last 2 seasons (fact) and the offense in the spring game was poor (fact), so it's worrisome considering all the facts going into next season" is a pessimist then we're never going to agree on that. 

I never didn't say anyone who is worried was silly.  All I was saying is I don't  understand the doomsday talk.  I don't see it this year.  I've been disgusted with USF since 2011.  I just didn't see anything there.  We had a depletion in talent under Holtz with virtually zero player development on either side of the ball, we went from 8-5 to 3-9.  We went to  Taggart and I knew there was no way this team would be any good for at least 3 years.  If anyone thought that, they were delusional.

I think Taggat's biggest problem was the talent he brought in was too young and too inexperienced.  We virtually played 2 seasons with mostly freshman and sophomores.  It's crazy anyone thought we'd be any good.  I attended spring practices under Leavitt, Skip and Taggart now.  All I am saying is that I don't get the doom and gloom talk.  I didn't say you anyone was silly for stating their opinion.  I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you silly.  That's not me.  I don't do that.

I just think the spring practice went like normal spring practices go.  We just got use to the outlier spring games that were well... not a lot of good defense being played.  

Gotcha. Well when I read I don't get the doomsday talk I took that as there's no reason for it. When I think there is. Can't expect or think others will just ignore the last 2 seasons under Taggart.

I knew we were in trouble Taggart's first year. Wasn't his fault what he took over. But, I don't think enough development/coaching happened into his second year. If you replace SMU and Tulsa with Louisville and Rutgers last year, and we play virtually the same schedule as 2 years ago. That team goes 2-10 again. A really tough job for him only being his 2nd year coming into the mess he took over, but he still takes some responsibility.

There is no doubt Taggart has brought in talent. It'll all fall on his and his staff's ability to coach that talent. Playing in our conference there is no reason we shouldn't be a tough game every weekend and go to a bowl game. I wasn't comparing this last spring game to any other spring games we've ever had. I was just seeing what we did on offense and also taking into consideration what we've done on offense the last 2 years and it's just not puppies and ice cream for me. Shouldn't be mind blowing.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Gotcha. Well when I read I don't get the doomsday talk I took that as there's no reason for it. When I think there is. Can't expect or think others will just ignore the last 2 seasons under Taggart.

I knew we were in trouble Taggart's first year. Wasn't his fault what he took over. But, I don't think enough development/coaching happened into his second year. If you replace SMU and Tulsa with Louisville and Rutgers last year, and we play virtually the same schedule as 2 years ago. That team goes 2-10 again. A really tough job for him only being his 2nd year coming into the mess he took over, but he still takes some responsibility.

There is no doubt Taggart has brought in talent. It'll all fall on his and his staff's ability to coach that talent. Playing in our conference there is no reason we shouldn't be a tough game every weekend and go to a bowl game. I wasn't comparing this last spring game to any other spring games we've ever had. I was just seeing what we did on offense and also taking into consideration what we've done on offense the last 2 years and it's just not puppies and ice cream for me. Shouldn't be mind blowing.

our offense looked great last year with Bench in the spring game. that gave me lots of hope.

unfortunately it turned out that it was our defense that imploded.

you really can't tell anything from a spring game.

I would never expect Taggart to have anything more than an average offense. That's not what he is trying to build. He is the type to play conservative field position football on offense. What he needs is a very good defense in order to win that way.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

Taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being a pessimist

If you think someone saying "our offense has been god awful the last 2 seasons (fact) and the offense in the spring game was poor (fact), so it's worrisome considering all the facts going into next season" is a pessimist then we're never going to agree on that.

Sure it is. Just like taking facts and experience into consideration can lead to optimism. They're both points of view that you form based on what facts and experience you want to incorporate. Pessimists just take the glass half empty stance:

Full Definition of PESSIMISM
:  an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome

And stop acting like I'm using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards you here. I'm not. As I said before, your pessimism is warranted based on past results. 2011Grad's optimism is based is on the way he's looking at things.

Sure it is. Just like taking facts and experience into consideration can lead to optimism. They're both points of view that you form based on what facts and experience you want to incorporate. Pessimists just take the glass half empty stance:

:  an inclination to emphasize adverse aspects, conditions, and possibilities or to expect the worst possible outcome

And stop acting like I'm using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards you here. I'm not. As I said before, your pessimism is warranted based on past results. 2011Grad's optimism is based is on the way he's looking at things.

Now you're turning words around. I never said taking facts and experiences into consideration couldn't lead someone to be pessimistic or optimistic. I said taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being pessimistic or a pessimist. 

I will stop acting like you're using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards me and refer to you calling me a hater  :GoBulls: .

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,569
  • Days Won:  423

Now you're turning words around. I never said taking facts and experiences into consideration couldn't lead someone to be pessimistic or optimistic. I said taking facts and experiences into consideration is not being pessimistic or a pessimist. 

I will stop acting like you're using "pessimist" as something derogatory towards me and refer to you calling me a hater  :GoBulls: .

You'd have a stronger case there .....  ;)

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

RYESHENE%20BRONSON.jpgMARLON%20MACK.jpgQUINTON%20FLOWERS%208.jpg

75% of our yardage next season will be from these 3 guys IMO and if one of these 3 guys misses time, we might be in some trouble