• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our "new" spread offense, from SB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

How many times over the last two years have you yelled at the team to "Hurry up!" I know I have more times than I can remember. I tend to agree that tempo and execution will net better results.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The plays may be the, "same" but the formations are not.  I've said it before, I believe we will be a run-first, spread offense.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The plays may be the, "same" but the formations are not.  I've said it before, I believe we will be a run-first, spread offense.

If there's skepticism in that declaration, I join it. It might be similar in execution, but they clearly look different. Hey, if it helps the RBs get more options to work with, I'm all for it. I really hope, too, that the QBs are working on getting rid of the ball quickly. From the training vids, it looked about the same as last year so unless our OL has improved dramatically, the ball has to be gone faster.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I don't care. As long as we have many victories.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

First, it's definitely easier to change the tempo while still calling similar plays and formations.  The offense doesn't have to learn both new tempo and new playbook.

Second, the problem last year wasn't really the plays... it was the play calling and the execution.  The offense became quite predictable way too often... CWT had trouble getting the play called in time... and when the play was called, the OL couldn't consistently give the QB enough time... and when there was enough time, the WRs dropped a lot of balls.

So just because the plays have not changed is not something to fear.

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

... whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Comical how there is no such thing as a realist on this board. I'm hating because I don't understand the logic of thinking the plays we've been running haven't been the issue, it's just the fact that we haven't been quick enough between plays? K dude...

Well, I do hope they don't rely as much on the plays that call for balls to be thrown over receivers' heads or 3 yds in front of them ... and the ones where the receivers are called on to drop the ball that hits them  in the hands ... also the running plays where the OL has apparently been instructed to pretend to block .... and the cruelest one that was designed, where the fb gets wide open along the sideline but was taught to keep the ball in his inside hand as to be a better target for the defenders ..... I agree tempo won't do a thing for those play calls and if they keep running them this year, it's going to be another long one.

You're talking like fumbles don't happen, and bad throws don't happen, and bad plays don't happen. Every team deals with that crap. If we had been mediocre statistically speaking on offense then I agree with you. However, you can't chalk up triple digit rankings to simple non execution. That's ludicrous. 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I'm hoping to make it to the spring game, but even that is an uneven assessment since they're still playing against our defense. though perhaps this year with the new DC and supposed attacking/aggressive 4-2-5, the defense will look better. catch 22, if offense does well in spring, defense sucks, and vice versa. i'll be looking for execution and fundamentals, hopefully they translate to the games that matter in September.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

If it works, CWT and Co. are geniuses and people on the board will be excited about the future. If it doesn't work, there will be many angry posts, and he will be fired. 

Let's see how it unfolds, before we run to scenario 2. 

Hoping for scenario 1, I want to see this program succeed! 

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

First, it's definitely easier to change the tempo while still calling similar plays and formations.  The offense doesn't have to learn both new tempo and new playbook.

Second, the problem last year wasn't really the plays... it was the play calling and the execution.  The offense became quite predictable way too often... CWT had trouble getting the play called in time... and when the play was called, the OL couldn't consistently give the QB enough time... and when there was enough time, the WRs dropped a lot of balls.

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

Comical how there is no such thing as a realist on this board. I'm hating because I don't understand the logic of thinking the plays we've been running haven't been the issue, it's just the fact that we haven't been quick enough between plays? K dude...

Well, I do hope they don't rely as much on the plays that call for balls to be thrown over receivers' heads or 3 yds in front of them ... and the ones where the receivers are called on to drop the ball that hits them  in the hands ... also the running plays where the OL has apparently been instructed to pretend to block .... and the cruelest one that was designed, where the fb gets wide open along the sideline but was taught to keep the ball in his inside hand as to be a better target for the defenders ..... I agree tempo won't do a thing for those play calls and if they keep running them this year, it's going to be another long one.

You're talking like fumbles don't happen, and bad throws don't happen, and bad plays don't happen. Every team deals with that crap. If we had been mediocre statistically speaking on offense then I agree with you. However, you can't chalk up triple digit rankings to simple non execution. That's ludicrous. 

Every play is designed to go for a touchdown. The consistency of the execution of those plays determines your offensive rankings and it sounds like they're tweaking stuff to try and improve that execution. It remains to be seen whether it works or not .... but blaming the plays themselves is what's ludicrous.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

Every play is designed to go for a touchdown. The consistency of the execution of those plays determines your offensive rankings and it sounds like they're tweaking stuff to try and improve that execution. It remains to be seen whether it works or not .... but blaming the plays themselves is what's ludicrous.

Every play is not designed to go for a TD... but okay. 4th and 1 from your own 45 yard line in a goal line set is not designed to take it 55 yards to the house for 6. It's designed to get you A YARD. I don't put blame solely on the plays themselves. If you read what I said earlier I definitely said execution is a part of the problem. I would say the scheme + the plays are an even bigger part of the problem. Maybe those plays are too complicated for our lack of talent to execute. That would be a coaching decision though and the lack of coaching we've seen on that side of the ball the last few years is laughable so. I guess I'm just expecting too much. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

Every play is not designed to go for a TD... but okay. 4th and 1 from your own 45 yard line in a goal line set is not designed to take it 55 yards to the house for 6. It's designed to get you A YARD. I don't put blame solely on the plays themselves. If you read what I said earlier I definitely said execution is a part of the problem. I would say the scheme + the plays are an even bigger part of the problem. Maybe those plays are too complicated for our lack of talent to execute. That would be a coaching decision though and the lack of coaching we've seen on that side of the ball the last few years is laughable so. I guess I'm just expecting too much. 

I don't see where it really matters if it is the plays or the execution.  Either way, it's on the coaches.  Two full years and the third spring practice.  This is CWT's team now, and forward progress needs to happen very soon.