• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our "new" spread offense, from SB

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

^ did you have to pay dozer a royalty for that one? ^_^

He's on a retainer ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I sure hope it starts clicking for Flowers.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

First, it's definitely easier to change the tempo while still calling similar plays and formations.  The offense doesn't have to learn both new tempo and new playbook.

Second, the problem last year wasn't really the plays... it was the play calling and the execution.  The offense became quite predictable way too often... CWT had trouble getting the play called in time... and when the play was called, the OL couldn't consistently give the QB enough time... and when there was enough time, the WRs dropped a lot of balls.

So just because the plays have not changed is not something to fear.

Right..... We have been ranked in the triple digits offensively for 2 years in a row because we're just not executing....

There's no question that's a part of it, but even if they execute even 50% better the last 2 seasons we're probably not even ranked in the top 80 in FBS. 

Play calling has been an issue and will always continue to be as long as Taggart is the one calling the plays. 

If you truly believe that watching the same plays you've watched over the last two seasons with the only difference being a faster pace in between plays is a good plan (or not something to fear) I'll take whatever the ____ you're drinking. 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

First, it's definitely easier to change the tempo while still calling similar plays and formations.  The offense doesn't have to learn both new tempo and new playbook.

Second, the problem last year wasn't really the plays... it was the play calling and the execution.  The offense became quite predictable way too often... CWT had trouble getting the play called in time... and when the play was called, the OL couldn't consistently give the QB enough time... and when there was enough time, the WRs dropped a lot of balls.

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

... whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Comical how there is no such thing as a realist on this board. I'm hating because I don't understand the logic of thinking the plays we've been running haven't been the issue, it's just the fact that we haven't been quick enough between plays? K dude...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

photo-5766.gif?_r=0

... whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Comical how there is no such thing as a realist on this board. I'm hating because I don't understand the logic of thinking the plays we've been running haven't been the issue, it's just the fact that we haven't been quick enough between plays? K dude...

Well, I do hope they don't rely as much on the plays that call for balls to be thrown over receivers' heads or 3 yds in front of them ... and the ones where the receivers are called on to drop the ball that hits them  in the hands ... also the running plays where the OL has apparently been instructed to pretend to block .... and the cruelest one that was designed, where the fb gets wide open along the sideline but was taught to keep the ball in his inside hand as to be a better target for the defenders ..... I agree tempo won't do a thing for those play calls and if they keep running them this year, it's going to be another long one.

Right..... We have been ranked in the triple digits offensively for 2 years in a row because we're just not executing....

There's no question that's a part of it, but even if they execute even 50% better the last 2 seasons we're probably not even ranked in the top 80 in FBS. 

Play calling has been an issue and will always continue to be as long as Taggart is the one calling the plays. 

If you truly believe that watching the same plays you've watched over the last two seasons with the only difference being a faster pace in between plays is a good plan (or not something to fear) I'll take whatever the ____ you're drinking. 

I watched the same games you did... and I will say that if they execute better than 50% the last 2 seasons, we would be a Top 80 team... and we probably would have gone 6-6 or better last season. 

We would have beaten Maryland - because we lost that game on a SINGLE PLAY that was 100% execution -- the up back did not hold his block, was forced back, and the punt was blocked.... execute better and USF would have been 5-7.  (If you want, we can look at the possession after the blocked punt TD - USF started at the 22, but had another holding penalty and a 9-yard-sack... so we punted from our 3 yard line - giving MD a short field where they got a FG).

We would have had a bigger lead at Wisconsin the way the defense was playing, and that probably would have been enough to change their 2nd half approach and we could have won that game... okay, maybe we still lose that game.

How about ECU... USF was doing a great job against what was (at the time) one of the best teams in the AAC... at the end of the 3rd quarter - you may remember this - we had the ball at the ECU 35 yard line... but we had two holding penalties and a 12-man penalty... so we went from 1st and 10 on the 35 ... to third and thirty where Mike White through a "punterception" to the ECU 14... at the time of this drive, USF was winning 17-14 and had driven into FG range... take away those three penalties, USF goes up at least 20-14 if not drives it in... and that game ends a lot differently.

Now, how about Cincinnati... you may recall that USF fumbled the ball SIX times... four of them (at least) were dropped by both White and Bench... It came out that we used brand new footballs in the coldest game of the season (so far)... and both White and Bench did not wear gloves.... I admit it's a stretch - but if USF had played with used balls and maybe the QBs wore gloves... those fumbles don't happen and the game could be a lot closer.

What about the last game of the year... USF had the ball four times in the first half against UCF: three punts and a missed FG (where Kloss hit the upright)... On those drives, USF amassed 25 total rushing yards... and White was 7-16 (USF went 3 of 7 on 3rd downs, with an average of 3rd and 7)... If the running game could have gotten started... or if White had completed more passes... then I bet we don't get shutout... and since the D held up in the 2nd half - USF might have won that game as well.

TL;DR: USF had at least 2 games where execution directly led to a loss, and at least 2 maybe 3 more where better execution keeps the game in reach.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

I don't care how they do it, what they change or who plays where. I want them to show improvement and win more games. Plain and simple.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I'm happy with the changes so far. No huddle, more speed on the field, very littlepre snap motioning. I think Bench is buttering up Taggarts ego for obvious personal gain reasons. Some of these plays may be the same but the philosophy has changed,bat least comparing last years spring to this years spring.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,804

I also remember reading that the plays may be the same but it is more the three receiver sets as well. So it is different.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it is the lack of talent not tempo that has hurt usf