• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Defense under Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Love me some D

this bud's for you, bud.

jon-lejiste-o.gif

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

Love me some D

Heard that before.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Bayes was our best recruit 2 years ago. He has to see the field in my opinion. I don't think Sanchez is bad at all, but Is he fast enough to be on the field against these spread offenses in our conference? 

Yeah, he's a nice kid but he's basically Mike Lanaris 2.0 and will definitely get picked on in the passing game.  the problem is I don't know who else can effectively play that MLB role because in this defense they have to be able to consistently take on guards and stack and shed against the run but still have to be serviceable in pass coverage.  I just don't know if any of the young bucks are big and strong enough for that yet.  The only think I can think of is Whitehurst slides over to the MLB spot and takes if from Sanchez.  

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Bayes was our best recruit 2 years ago. He has to see the field in my opinion. I don't think Sanchez is bad at all, but Is he fast enough to be on the field against these spread offenses in our conference? 

Yeah, he's a nice kid but he's basically Mike Lanaris 2.0 and will definitely get picked on in the passing game.  the problem is I don't know who else can effectively play that MLB role because in this defense they have to be able to consistently take on guards and stack and shed against the run but still have to be serviceable in pass coverage.  I just don't know if any of the young bucks are big and strong enough for that yet.  The only think I can think of is Whitehurst slides over to the MLB spot and takes if from Sanchez.  

Nick Holman I hope. 6'2" 230. Don't forget we also have 2 SR LBs on the roster that look the part of MLB in Harley and Garye (who was originally a safety).

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Nick Holman I hope. 6'2" 230. Don't forget we also have 2 SR LBs on the roster that look the part of MLB in Harley and Garye (who was originally a safety).

I liked Holman coming out of high school but I haven't seen enough of him yet to be excited.  Not hating on the kid but after missing last season with injury I'm in wait and see mode.  In the action that Harley played I wasn't overly impressed with him and Garye is nothing more than a special teams kid IMO.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

Words are easy to speak.

and apparently easy to type as well  :facepalm:

Hmm.. apparently people forget I'm usually very positive on this forum (even during the season). I was trying to make a joke, and I get downvoted and this kinda response. Cool! 

Starting not to feel welcome here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Have to agree. I hope though, in this D, we will be able to have the MLB focus on the run with the extra DBs out there. Byrd and Harris should be good cover guys. Sanchez will have to focus on stopping the run and he showed some flashes last year. Other guys were either not better than him or have little experience. But this will be the year for some of those young guys to come along. Excited to see the team this year.

Anyone know if the spring game will be avaliable online this year?

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Words are easy to speak.

and apparently easy to type as well  :facepalm:

Hmm.. apparently people forget I'm usually very positive on this forum (even during the season). I was trying to make a joke, and I get downvoted and this kinda response. Cool! 

Starting not to feel welcome here.

Sipher, my apologies if I made you feel unwelcome. I thought you were a troll with a comment like that (don't have time to keep up with everyone). Next time use your sarcasm font  :thumbsup:

Takes time to put together useful posts, such as breaking down our D, and TBP has kind of run a mock with negativity and unrealistic expectations. We are entitled to our opinions of course and I normally ignore those who are known to make stupid comments. You weren't on that list yet for me.

Cheers!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Don't try and derail one of the more purposeful threads on this board. We have enough waste of server space already with publix and asianti woulard.

I think this defense might be better off with a more beefy type of mlb like kawika Mitchell or Ben Moffitt.

Edited by usfbullrider
  • Upvote 1