• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Defense under Allen

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

It sounds like Byrd is a frontrunner for Husky position and Harris is a lock for one of the two LB spots. I wonder who's going to play the other lb spot?

Right now without seeing the new kids in there yet (Danny Thomas and Nico Sawtelle) I'd have to say Auggie? Look out for Nick Holman too whos back on the field from shoulder surgery last year...that kid is a tank. Wasn't Whitehurst seeing some playing time last year as well?
Whitehurst played a lot but was mostly ineffective in that hybrid role Bres had him in. Zach Bullock is a senior who has seen playing time before. Nick Holman is pretty beefy dude so I'm not sure what Allen is looking for there.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Byrd and Harris are great picks for the Husky and one of the LB's. That said, they're both smallish for those roles. I assume a guy like Holman or Sanchez will fill the other spot. Whitehurt just compounds the size problem.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

425vsdoubles.png

Image from: http://www.425defense.com/alignment/

I am procrastinating atm so lets see if we can clarify some positions in the 4-2-5 (please feel free to correct/modify):

E = Defensive Ends 

T = Defensive Tackles

LB = Linebackers (Bigger type run stoppers)

C = Defensive Cornerbacks

W = Weak-side Safety/Linebacker (Stinger/Nickel - athletic hybrid pass cover guy)

SS = Strong Safety/Linebacker (Husky - athletic hybrid run stopper)

FS = Free Safety (only true safety)

Starters on D

E = Sr: D. Hill* (6-3 270), Sr: Lee (6-3 248) 

T =  Jr: Calloway (6-2 285), So: Senat (6-1 300)

LB = So: Sanchez (6-2 241), RFr: Brown* (6-2 230) 

C = So: Abraham, So: Fullwood or So: Sawyer

W = Jr: Harris (6-0 220)

SS = Sr: Byrd (5-11 184)

FS = So: Godwin or Jr: Childs

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

425vsdoubles.png

Image from: http://www.425defense.com/alignment/

I am procrastinating atm so lets see if we can clarify some positions in the 4-2-5 (please feel free to correct/modify):

E = Defensive Ends 

T = Defensive Tackles

LB = Linebackers (Bigger type run stoppers)

W = Weak-side Safety/Linebacker (Stinger/Nickel - athletic hybrid pass cover guy)

SS = Strong Safety/Linebacker (Husky - athletic hybrid run stopper)

FS = Free Safety (only true safety)

Starters on D

E = Sr: D. Hill (6-3 270), Sr: Lee (6-3 248) 

LB = So: Sanchez (6-2 241), RFr: Brown* (6-2 230) 

W = Jr: Harris (6-0 220)

SS = Sr: Byrd (5-11 184)

FS = So: Godwin or Jr: Childs,

This is incorrect, what you have listed as a "stinger" is the husky position.  We will have two corners, two true safeties and then the "husky" hybrid position that Byrd plays in.  The LB that is covered will be Harris and then the larger LB Sanchez/Holman/etc is the one that is less protected from the guard on running plays.  Also, Look for Black to play that wide end position....

• Upvote 1

Thx Dozer... I did not look into Ole Miss' variation, round 2 :)

4-2-5.jpg

Image from http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/ole-miss-rebels-may-talented-defense-sec/

E = Defensive Ends = 9T and 6T

T = Defensive Tackles = 2i and 4i

LB = Linebackers = MLB (Run stopper), Stinger (WLB Hybrid cover guy), Husky (SLB Hybrid line support)

S = Free Safety (FS true safety), Strong Safety (SS/Rover line support)

Starters on D

MLB = So: Sanchez (6-2 241)  

Stinger (WLB) = Jr: Harris (6-0 220)

Husky (SLB) = Sr: Byrd (5-11 184)

FS = So: Godwin

SS = Jr: Childs

Edited by Bull-Hornz

Looks like others at TBO are on the same wavelength.

Technically speaking, in this defense, the Stinger and Husky are considered defensive backs not linebackers. As you can see in the picture above they hangout in both areas though.

I am getting excited about the D. It really does seem like it fits our local FL talent very well!

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Here's good article explaining the roles, same one Hornz got the above picture from.  

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/ole-miss-rebels-may-talented-defense-sec/

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Thx Dozer... I did not look into Ole Miss' variation, round 2 :)

4-2-5.jpg

Image from http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/ole-miss-rebels-may-talented-defense-sec/

E = Defensive Ends = 9T and 6T

T = Defensive Tackles = 2i and 4i

LB = Linebackers = MLB (Run stopper), Stinger (WLB Hybrid cover guy), Husky (SLB Hybrid line support)

S = Free Safety (FS true safety), Strong Safety (SS/Rover line support)

Starters on D

Here is my amatuer guess based on what I've from LAST SPRING AND WINTER.  Remember D. Hill is not on roster, has personal issues with no return date yet.

Starters on D

E = Bronson 6-4 265 R-FR

Watch him at 2:15 take on # 73 who is Jerimi Hall who is about 340lbs our roster says.  This vid is a year old so expect him to be even stronger now.

E = Sr: Lee (6-3 248)

This guy looks the part, works hard and the Bres 3-4 didn't do him any favors.  He should be good in this D.  Eric Mayes could be much better than anyone at DE, haven't seen him yet since he's been in prep school.

T =  Jr: Calloway (6-2 285), So: Senat (6-1 300)

Hard to argue with this since they are so athletic, but James Hamilton may have something to say here.  Rumors are Senat is the strongest guy on the team.

Hard to argue against this since he's the most experienced, but Holman has a noticeable size advantage and could be the next big thing, injured all last season so haven't seen him yet.  Sanchez should have a speed advantage.

Yep.  Allen recuited him to Ole Miss, loves his game.

Yep.  Played at TCU in a similar scheme as husky.

C = JR Ward (interception and tackle machine)/Abraham,

C = JR Robbins/ SO Fullwood

Yep, excellent open field tackler.  Have seen him easily take down star RB's with ease in full stride.

Super Athletic Guy

Edited by usfbullrider

Here's good article explaining the roles, same one Hornz got the above picture from.  

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/ole-miss-rebels-may-talented-defense-sec/

While I did link the article, I think they switched the Husky and Stinger labels in the description, but have them correct in the image.

• In the image they correctly identify the Husky position on the right, which is setup on the strong/run side. This is the hybrid run support "SLB" hence Husky.

• On the left side you have you Nickel-type Stinger back which is lined up on the weak side of the play.  This is the "WLB" hybrid faster cover guy hence Stinger.

In that particular play the OL shifts over for run blocking leaving the Stinger free to sting the RB :)

bryantgapshoot.gif

Image from http://www.saturdayd...ed-defense-sec/

Edited by Bull-Hornz

Here is my amatuer guess based on what I've from LAST SPRING AND WINTER.  Remember D. Hill is not on roster, has personal issues with no return date yet.

Starters on D

E = Bronson 6-4 265 R-FR

Watch him at 2:15 take on # 73 who is Jerimi Hall who is about 340lbs our roster says.  This vid is a year old so expect him to be even stronger now.

E = Sr: Lee (6-3 248)

This guy looks the part, works hard and the Bres 3-4 didn't do him any favors.  He should be good in this D.  Eric Mayes could be much better than anyone at DE, haven't seen him yet since he's been in prep school.

T =  Jr: Calloway (6-2 285), So: Senat (6-1 300)

Hard to argue with this since they are so athletic, but James Hamilton may have something to say here.  Rumors are Senat is the strongest guy on the team.

Hard to argue against this since he's the most experienced, but Holman has a noticeable size advantage and could be the next big thing, injured all last season so haven't seen him yet.  Sanchez should have a speed advantage.

Yep.  Allen recuited him to Ole Miss, loves his game.

Yep.  Played at TCU in a similar scheme as husky.

C = JR Ward (interception and tackle machine)/Abraham,

C = JR Robbins/ SO Fullwood

Yep, excellent open field tackler.  Have seen him easily take down star RB's with ease in full stride.

Super Athletic Guy

Yeah I am hoping D. Hill makes it back which is why I put the * next to his name. While I think we have some talent behind him, ideally they would get experience under him not as his full out replacement (finger's crossed)

I think every other substitution you made is probable. Lots of these young guys are athletic and talented! Have to think DC TA is happy with the personal situation he walked into.

Edited by Bull-Hornz