• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2015 Spring Practice Reports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

"I think a lot of (coaches) kind of think the more we give 'em, the more chances they have to be successful," Hampton said.

"But I come from the belief -- and so does Coach Allen -- the less you give 'em, the more they'll be able to play and react and play more naturally. And that's what you've seen the last five days; guys just playing free and just playing what they see, and it gives them an opportunity to make plays."

This guy gets it - especially in a new regime.

One of the things that bothered me most about Taggs offense was how hard it was to learn. Start simple, let the athletes play, and add complexity slowly over time

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

"I think a lot of (coaches) kind of think the more we give 'em, the more chances they have to be successful," Hampton said.

"But I come from the belief -- and so does Coach Allen -- the less you give 'em, the more they'll be able to play and react and play more naturally. And that's what you've seen the last five days; guys just playing free and just playing what they see, and it gives them an opportunity to make plays."

This guy gets it - especially in a new regime.

One of the things that bothered me most about Taggs offense was how hard it was to learn. Start simple, let the athletes play, and add complexity slowly over time

Does 2 years count as slowly?

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

4-2-5 Better have some very good DLs and quick LBs.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

usfbullrider, that was a great summary! Thank you so much for including all of that info and posting it here to the forum, especially the embedded video! Please feel free to keep posting like that, you made my morning reading that while drinking my coffee here at work! :)

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think a lot of (coaches) kind of think the more we give 'em, the more chances they have to be successful," Hampton said.

- And the choir said Amen.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Recap Practice 6

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, MARCH 11, 2015 – USF’s ability to quickly grasp the concepts of a new up-tempo offense incorporating spread elements has dictated a fast pace at spring practice, and head coach Willie Taggart wants the Bulls to be even more “efficient, fun and fast†by the fall.

USF is six spring sessions into its up-tempo transformation on offense and Taggart likes what he sees from a group that’s clicking more each time out.

“It’s going well. You’re seeing where it gives you a lot of advantages,†Taggart said Wednesday. “You’re getting a lot of reps. I think the big part for us now is learning and understanding the tempo, not necessarily the plays.â€

Much goes into making 11 players on offense move up and down the field at a fast pace and it all starts well before the Bulls hit the practice field.

The decision to maximize USF’s talent on offense in the spread attack is well liked by players and coaches and the coaching staff has done a lot at the drawing board to make things go quickly once the whistle sounds at the Morsani Football Complex. Coaches put concepts together while Taggart adds his input and tweaks before the staff as a whole puts its stamp of approval on a certain play.

“Then it’s a play and a package that we’re on the same page with and we all believe in,†co-offensive coordinator Danny Hope said. “I think that’s going to be one of the strengths of our offense is it being simplified and us all being on the same page.â€

Shortening calls and signals allows players to think quickly on the field and the steady progress of the offense has been very apparent this spring.

“There are so many guys making plays right now,†Taggart said. “I just see us getting better as a football team and it’s getting better because individuals are stepping up.â€

Wide receivers are making eye-catching plays consistently and each quarterback is learning to get the ball out quickly in order to let USF’s athletes operate in space.

“They’re completion percentage has gotten a lot better since we’ve started,†quarterbacks coach David Reaves said. “They’re having fun with it. They’re making good decisions and they’re getting better each day.â€

Spreading a defense out also provides more room for USF’s talented group of running backs to make people miss and the Bulls still plan on keeping their effective power attack intact. Record-breaking Marlon Mack, D’Ernest Johnson, Darius Tice and Sta’fon McCray are all now 200-plus pound, physical players and the Bulls will use them to tax defenses as games progress.

“There are some teams that do a great job on a national level right now that hang their hat on the power out of a spread offense,†Hope said. “… We’re still going to be physical offense and we’re going to call physical plays, but we’re going to do it out of spread looks in a no-huddle, high-tempo offense.â€

Thanks to offseason conditioning, USF’s offensive line has adjusted well to the change of pace. Hope, the group’s position coach, says he has “seven or eight guys†the Bulls can play and win with right now.

“I’m encouraged with the progress we’re making,†Hope said. “It has been very competitive and there’s not a lot of drop-off from the second and third offensive linemen to the fifth, sixth-best offensive linemen. It’s hard to tell who is going to show up in the starting lineup.â€

Simpler schemes and prepared players have made each spring practice a race to the finish. Taggart has enjoyed seeing the grand plan on offense coming together and said the goal is to have things mastered by the fall.

“When we get done with spring ball we want them to close their eyes and do whatever play we tell them to do and do it very well,†Taggart said. “We want to make it efficient, fun and fast.â€

New Season Ticket Pricing Structure a Big Plus for Fans

USF Athletics’ new Bulls Club Champion Seating Program provides fans with a simplified and more affordable season ticket pricing structure for the upcoming football season.

The Bulls Club Champion Seating Program marks the first advancement in USF’s ticketing structure since football began playing in Raymond James Stadium in 1998. The program now makes the best seats for USF games at Raymond James Stadium more accessible to all fans at a single, affordable price per seat. Learn more about the Bulls Club Champion Seating Program HERE.

A Look Ahead

The next spring practice is set for 9 a.m. Friday followed by Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. session that will feature more simulated game situations for Bulls fans to watch. All of USF’s spring practices are open to the public and fans are encouraged to park in the Sycamore lot on campus, which is adjacent to the Morsani Football Complex. Check out USF’s full spring schedule HERE.

Quote of the Day

“There are guys that redshirted last year that are having a good spring for us right now and showing us they’re going to help this football team. Overall things are just so much better. Guys are better and it helps when you’re older.â€

- Head coach Willie Taggart on the team’s progression.

Twitter:

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls 2h2 hours ago

Today's #USF spring football report up 'n' running. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/spring-football-bench-aikens-shine-in-2-minute-drill/2220918…

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls 3h3 hours ago Zephyrhills, FL

Nice seeing @EB_CoachLo out at @USFFootball today. His standout DB, KJ Sails, has offer from Bulls, Indiana & 4 others

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls 4h4 hours ago Zephyrhills, FL

Rodney Adams, McCants, Mut & Thor among Bulls on Rehab Island today. Adams tweaked his groin Monday. Nothing serious. #USF

6 spring practices in, @CoachTaggart says key is learning/understanding tempo. "It's not necessarily the plays. Our guys know the plays."

Since @USFFootball heightened offensive tempo, QBs coach David Reaves says each QB's completion percentage has improved in practice

USF Football â€@USFFootball 5h5 hours ago

Coach Reaves points out new NCAA rule allowing coaches 2 hours w/players during non-practice periods a big help in teaching scheme.
0 replies 2 retweets 5 favorites

#USF focusing on teaching tempo..."How & why are we going fast" Taggart says "We are doing eveything fast...working out, study, everything"

"Some guys that redshirted are having a good spring for us...they are going to help this football team" - @CoachTaggart #USF #GoBulls

USF Football â€@USFFootball 6h6 hours ago

Coach Hope breaks down the O-Line after a solid practice No. 6 #GoBulls

Joey Knight â€@TBTimes_Bulls 6h6 hours ago

FWIW, the QB sequence on those 3 possessions: Flowers, Bench, White #GrainofSalt

On scoring drive, Aikens ruled out of bounds on 3rd-down catch. Taggart overruled refs. "I reviewed that."

3 possessions of 2-min drill from own 40. Offense scored once: Bench 33-yarder to @PlantFootball alum Austin Aikens

White, working with 1st-team o-line, moves offense to 18 before being sacked on final play. #USF

Not sure why, but Taggart giving the business to the offense right now. More 11-on-11 work forthcoming #USF

USF Football â€@USFFootball 7h7 hours ago

Coach Reaves working with #USF quarterbacks on a beautiful day for practice in The Bay

USF Football â€@USFFootball 7h7 hours ago

Bulls with a spirited 11-on-11 session this morning

White, working with 1st-team o-line, moves offense to 18 before being sacked on final play. #USF

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Link for the previous story, go click it and reward Zebold for a job well done.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209953833

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Thanks for the updates, Bullrider. Appreciate the time you're putting into them.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Anyone planning on going to the practice this weekend?  

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'm going to try