• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic Players - Leavitt v. Holtz/Taggert

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

I think we saw some flashes of more atheletic plays last year. Under Holtz it was painfully obvious that we had become slow and less athletic. One of the positives I took from last year was a major improvement in this regard. The other was that the team had fight in almost every game. Two major components neccessary for a competitive team that I believe were lost in the Hotlz era.

Really don't want to bring this up again but you do realize that Holtz was always coaching Leavitt's talent, right?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I don't think "athletes" were the issue under Holtz. He did sign, the likes of Reshard Cliett, D'Vario Montgomery, Sean Price, Terrence Mitchell and Andre Davis, granted not all of them panned out.To me it is apparent that the recruiting deficiencies are showing themselves along the offensive line and QB position. I think we should see better line play starting this year, which in turn should improve QB play.

Our offensive line has never been stellar, we've just had QBs in the past that could revert to sandlot ball and thrive when the protection broke down. Perhaps where we really need an "athlete" is at the QB position.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Actually Holtz recruited some good looking linemen. Unfortunately less than half are with us today and of those they weren't very good.

as for the athlete issues, that shows up further down the depth chart.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Outside of Davis the receiver position has been terrible the last 2 or so years.

This is a position that we should start seeing some improvement and with that we will see some improved QB play.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

still get athletic players. Difference is the aggressiveness of the coaching staff. Especially on defense.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'd take mean and nasty at this point

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

A bunch of athletes using the spread should mean the offensive production will improve almost immediately right? From what I've seen online the spread makes it a lot easier on inexperienced quarterbacks, was wondering what to expect next year. Wouldn't this help Flowers tremendously?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

A bunch of athletes using the spread should mean the offensive production will improve almost immediately right? From what I've seen online the spread makes it a lot easier on inexperienced quarterbacks, was wondering what to expect next year. Wouldn't this help Flowers tremendously?

I think athletic receivers/ RBs that can get into space and make plays will help tremendously regardless of what offense we run. we have had some very good ones in the past under Leavitt. With the exception of Davis, we really didn't have many under holtz.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I think we saw some flashes of more atheletic plays last year. Under Holtz it was painfully obvious that we had become slow and less athletic. One of the positives I took from last year was a major improvement in this regard. The other was that the team had fight in almost every game. Two major components neccessary for a competitive team that I believe were lost in the Hotlz era.

Really don't want to bring this up again but you do realize that Holtz was always coaching Leavitt's talent, right?

While we could discuss this topic in great detail, let's keep it productive. Sure Holtz inherited players and I think our CB issues were there under CJL. Still, I don't think it's a debate that Holtz left the cupboard pretty bare. Freshman beat out Holtz recruits last year and we were better for it. Yes?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

While we could discuss this topic in great detail, let's keep it productive. Sure Holtz inherited players and I think our CB issues were there under CJL. Still, I don't think it's a debate that Holtz left the cupboard pretty bare. Freshman beat out Holtz recruits last year and we were better for it. Yes?

And the year before.  With a total of 6 wins.  That is with 2 years of CWTs guys.  So the answer to the "yes"? is we'll see.  We've seen with the QB position that he doesn't always pick the right guy to start the year.  Maybe some of FCSH's guys should have been playing more.  Like you said, we could go on and on and it isn't relevant any longer.  I just like to point out when people rag on FCSH's players that the players Holtz played with were Leavitt's guys and the team got worse then as well.