• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FOOTBALL 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

without a qb that can play at our level we will stink no matter what

you cannot win in the mighty aac wiithout a qb

the rules now are conducive to throwing the ball all over the field and we are running a power run offense---DUMB

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We'd have to lure a stud juco or a freed up backup QB here, and then they'd have to learn the O. I'm pretty sure we're looking at the same set of QBs next year with maybe a chance for a new guy to come in mid-season if necessary. But if the O line makes another jump in improvement and our current WRs get even better, we may be okay with what we have. MW will improve his skills, question is will he be more consistent and have more focus. If so, good things.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

Why do people assume that White will make ZERO progress in the future. 

Do people honestly think he is at his absolute peak? That his completion accuracy, grit, etc will NOT improve AT ALL next year? 

White has not been a major issue this year. He has been perfectly servicable and dealing with a struggling running game, partially due to an OL that isn't quite above average, drops, and more. He had a rough game at Cincy, sure, but he also saved the SMU game. 

He will get more consistent, accurate, and have better tools around him next year. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch:

2013:

9 TD, 10 INT

2014:

14 TD, 6 INT

2013:

58.2% Completion

2014:

65.3%

2013: 

2056 yards

2014:

2531 and the season is not over

I believe Mike White is not stuck in an alternate universe where you never improve. He WILL get better, like Lynch did at Memphis with another year under his belt.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Harlan should sit him down in the offseason and say, "Willie, I'm hiring an OC and a DC for you. You WILL let them do their jobs. You WILL sit in the booth during games. If you don't like it leave."

Then it's all on WIllie. If he quits, no severance. He can still recruit like the dickens, make the most money, and be the public face of the program, just not on game day.

Pretty sure that selecting staff and assigning their job descriptions fall within the scope of the head coach's responsibilities. Meaning that should Harlan do that CWT would be able to get his severance. Also, would create issues hiring a new coach who would worry about the AD meddling.

Of course if CWT's contract allowed the AD to do that then it would be different. You think Doug Woolard negotiated that into the contract?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Harlan should sit him down in the offseason and say, "Willie, I'm hiring an OC and a DC for you. You WILL let them do their jobs. You WILL sit in the booth during games. If you don't like it leave."

Then it's all on WIllie. If he quits, no severance. He can still recruit like the dickens, make the most money, and be the public face of the program, just not on game day.

Pretty sure that selecting staff and assigning their job descriptions fall within the scope of the head coach's responsibilities. Meaning that should Harlan do that CWT would be able to get his severance. Also, would create issues hiring a new coach who would worry about the AD meddling.

Of course if CWT's contract allowed the AD to do that then it would be different. You think Doug Woolard negotiated that into the contract?

doug probably put language in there so cwt could do his job which would then require both of them to get extensions. Any way we can get Doug ruled mentally insane and in turn void any contracts he made? Edited by 2000bull

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch:

2013:

9 TD, 10 INT

2014:

14 TD, 6 INT

2013:

58.2% Completion

2014:

65.3%

2013: 

2056 yards

2014:

2531 and the season is not over

I believe Mike White is not stuck in an alternate universe where you never improve. He WILL get better, like Lynch did at Memphis with another year under his belt.

Valid points. I don't think White is done improving by any means, but I can't tell you I'm confident in Taggart to develop White into a good enough QB to get this team where it needs to be by next year.

I would love to be wrong and would gladly eat my humble pie if that's the case, but from what I've seen him do with the QBs over the last 2 seasons.... YIKES.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that we need a JUCO QB. But only because it will give MW more competition. I actually still have faith in the guy. He improved from last year to this year, no doubt. The kid is young, hopefully will learn from his mistakes and blossom. And get him a QB coach worth a ****, would you CWT...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

White has done a pretty good job in the last couple of games. For the most part he has made good decisions.

He will improve. He seems to be a bright guy. I think in this offense all he, or any QB, has to simply be a game manager. I blame most of the ineffectiveness of the offense on the scheme and the way the offense is run rather than on White.

First of all, Taggart gets the play calls very late the majority of the time. By the time all the shifting is done, the QB has little time to read and audible into something different.

Second, Willie's philosophy is "they know what we will do, let them try to stop us". The opposing D usually knows we run on 1st and 2nd then we get stuck in 3rd and long. Since we are in a passing situation they can dictate the play calling. Even at Memphis, the announcer kept pointing out how something like 60% of our yardage was coming on 3rd downs. White did a good buying time. If the play calling would mix things up it would keep the defense guessing and the QB wouldn't have the deck stacked against him.

White is decent enough to be a .500 QB. The OC should do a better job of putting him in a position to succeed and I think he does even better.