• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Mike White good enough to be the QB in 2015?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Damarcus Smith has some pretty good offensive stats. I would love to see him and Ziarno picked up in this next class! Damarcus/White could run the offense next year while Ziarno redshirts and learns the playbook.

http://www.butlergrizzlies.com/sports/fball/2014-15/players/damarcussmith29i1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Blech. I just got a look at quite a bit of Damarcus Smith's highlights from Butler this year. I will be very surprised if he can make a positive impact in 2015.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I'd bet my 3rd testicle #1 is moot and Flowers jumps ship.

There's no way Flowers will jump ship now that he's getting playing time at QB. 

He will not play QB anywhere else. 

Obviously from a statistical standpoint Damarcus Smith is going to stand out. And athletically, he has a good arm capable of throwing deep and he's got speed in the 4.5's. But two things make me nervous about him.

1. Obviously the circuitous route he took to get to this point with rumors that his recruiting was a mess, him having to leave WKU to go to JUCO for year, etc.

2. The film doesn't match the quality of the statistics. At least, not from the standpoint of his decision-making, timing, mechanics, and the quality of his throws.

The film I saw contained a whole lot of big pass plays deep down the field. But his yardage per completion stands at about 14 yards and his yardage per attempt stands at about 8 yards with a 59% completion. What it suggests to me is that when he's not completing this huge throws, he's completing the ball for very small gains. This is suggestive that his timing is not good and defenses find it easy to close on the receiver after they catch the football. That is consistent with what I see on tape with his timing and decision-making on nearly all of these big highlight plays being off.

You get the feeling on tape he's basically just making this up as he goes. And considering the background, history of commitments, de-commitments, transfers, etc...red flag.

Then again South Florida is certainly desperate enough, so I suppose it can't hurt.

My preference is on Brandon Ziarno. His tape matches up completely with his statistical quality. He was 1st team All State in 2013, led his team to the FHSAA playoffs in 2012 & 2013, All Florida East Coast Player of the Year in 2013, is the All Time Brevard County passing leader, I'm told his 140.0 passer rating (NFL) is currently the highest in the state of Florida, and he's got a 3.8 GPA.

He has also recently been chosen to play QB in the Central Florida All Star Game. He was previously a participant in the Golden Arm Challenge which is a participation only camp for the top 40 quarterback recruits in the country.

QBHITList.com just debuted him in their Top 50 pro style quarterback recruits in the country. They have him at 47th overall with a 3 star ranking.

His dad is a coach. That is not surprising to me. He plays like he's been learning how to beat a cover two since he was 10 years old.

I notice that in his SPARQ scores they have him with 4.65 speed and a 31.5 inch vertical. That's pretty **** good in its own right. They have his powerball at 36. I'm not that familiar with it but I looked at the national SPARQ leaderboard with the top 100 SPARQ ratings in the country, and I notice 36 is as good or better than about half of them. His overall SPARQ rating of 86.46 seems pretty high. I know Tim Tebow's was 96.92.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785

I still have faith in White; get him in the gym, get him a few Publix subs, and send him to that QB guru Manzel went too

Or

Get him a good QB coach, not a running QB coach

make sure he gets those holiday special one with the bacon on it!!!

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

2015? Possibly. Dependent upon these two/three things:

1. Quinton Flowers improvement (even if he improves slightly, he will unseat White)

2. Brett Kean's ability (if he comes in and is a lights out QB and learns the playbook(not likely but it can happen), Kean will unseat them both.

edit:

3. Coach T brings in a JUCO QB who takes over. It looks like he's after Demarcus Smith from Butler CC

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/203918/damarcus-smith

Was a 4 star QB who had originally committed to UCF in 2011:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ucf/football/recruiting/player-DaMarcus-Smith-94229

Highly doubt this.  Flowers passing skills are waaay behind White's.  He's more athletic, that's it. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

MW is in the 34 percentile in Total QBR (scale of 0-100 adjusted for strength of opposing defenses), he's ranked at 83 of 126 for the season so far with a Total QBR of 49.4. I'd call that serviceable. It's below average, but serviceable is a fair description. He's only going to get better... one would hope anyways.

Just this past week against Memphis, he was ranked 26th of 109 in Total QBR with a QBR of 77.2. So he's definitely improving.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235

You have to remember White only played qb 1 yr in high school, and what, half a year last year. He is improving.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

You have to remember White only played qb 1 yr in high school, and what, half a year last year. He is improving.

Go Bulls!

Please stop repeating this. He started for one year on varsity. He has junior year stats and is on the school JV roster the other two years.