• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers Starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Flowers looked okay but the coaches clearly don't trust him to throw it too much. Likely because he doesn't know the offense well enough. 

I liked how they catered the offense around him, but after 3 quarters we had 0 points. He has potential but White will be the starter for the rest of the year, at least. When White is on, he looks good. The problem is how he looks when he is off.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

9-16 2 Tds and 6.6 ypa vs 6-15 0 Tds and 7 ypa

I know the stats, I didn't say Mike white didn't pull this game out. I said he didn't play that much better seeing as he was the incumbent to job anyway. He's older with more experience. Flowers had a death in the family, his first start, and it was a rough one against a bad defense. All I'm saying is that we haven't got much to lose and Mike White does a pretty good job at losing. I'm Mike white has had time to become adjusted to his line and receivers, he SHOULD know where the line is weakest and where his routes are. He should have his timing down with his wideouts and trust if someone may be able to go get the ball. These things come with some time, reps, and exposure. All of which Flowers has not had

Mike White is YOUNGER. He is 19, Flowers is 20. Mike White is the better looking QB. His age is part of the reason for his past mistakes. I think he is growing past it. Mike White led us in our final 2 drives and won the game....

Edit, now I'm not discounting QF for the future (as in competing for next season). But it is clear who our starting QB should be for the rest of the season. And I still contend that MW should have had the start in the Houston game, but that's in the past.

It seems I overlooked the fact that Mike White was younger than QF. As such, I should yield now. Gotta have my facts straight before I interject with opinion. My bad
I'm not trying to disparage your opinion with mine. But I feel I have a right to voice my opinion, no need to get offended. However, I can't agree with you, the big stat difference is the 2 TD's and the win. I didn't mind what I saw out of QF, he looked much better than I would have thought all things considering.

But to me it's clear he still needs to develop. Mike White also still needs to develop, but he is much further along.

Oh I know, I think my tone is coming across wrong here. I meant what I said, and sincerely so, from an analytical standpoint. I should have had all the info before I sounded off. Right now I'm the guy arguing with half facts and I hate that guy :P.

I respect what you're saying, I love me a good counter argument/ varying opinion

Ah, okay. I misunderstood! I think it's safe to say though that we need a better QB coach :/

Whole heartedly agreed

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

This was posted on the Voodoo 5 Game Blog, lol.

End of Flowers Era

Matt Floyd Era (next Taggart) 1/2 game
Bobby Eveld Era 5 games
Steven Bench Era 1/2 game
Mike White Era 14 games
Steven Bench Era 1 game
Quinton Flowers Era 3 quarters
Mike White 1 quarter

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

"I thought (competition) is something we did get away from, and we're not gonna get away from that anymore," Taggart said. "Every day, competition, even in meetings. But we have ourselves a quarterback and we'll have one starting for us on Saturday."

How do you "get away from" the one thing you promised to do when you were hired?  Over and over again CWT said players have to "do something" to get on the field, and "do something" to stay on the field.  A leader needs a clear vision, something that the followers can always count on, through the good and the bad.  It doesn't really matter whether the coach is mean or nice, detail oriented or passion oriented, a screamer or a whisperer.  What matter is that the players know what the coach expects and the coach does not waver from those expectations.  CWT seems to have constantly varying expectations.  

How about this?

1.  He comes in, the new players struggle with the playbook.  He refuses to change it, citing the need for consistency.
2.  Brings in White during the Houston game last year, simplifies the playbook.  White and the offense performs well.
3.  The next week, he opens the complete playbook again, offense fails again.
4.  New OC and QB Coach in the offseason.  The OC works hard to streamline the offense and the playcalling.  CWT bows out of the playcalling.  Spring game and early fall shows a confident offense snapping off plays crisply, no delays, plenty of time on the clock. 
5.  Offense struggles a bit, CWT retakes "some playcalling".  Play calls become sluggish again, the offense is back to delays and struggles.
6.  He waits until the offense has a good drive, replaces the QB with another and runs a different offense for a series.  Disrupts rhythm of the game and is a complete failure.  Decides this is a good idea and continues to insert Flowers whenver the offense has a good drive.
7.  Has a QB competition, gives one game to Bench, after giving White 14 games to prove he is a failure.
8.  Bench doesn't get points in one game, so he goes to Flowers.
9.  Unlike White and Bench, CWT again greatly simplifies the playbook.  Down to an embarassingly low 16 plays.  This still doesn't work because after the first series the opponent knows exactly what play is coming, but he waits until midway through the 4th quarter to go back to White and actually run the offense he said he would not vary from but did.

Tell me how this is good coaching?  How are the players supposed to know which end is up?

• Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

I, personally, hope we never see Flowers at QB again.

If what someone on this board said before that he had 16 plays on his wristband that we could run then shame on Taggart. That is a joke. If that's all you can run I don't care who you're playing you cannot start him. I was glad he decided to start him to see what he could do, but goodness if I had known that was the case I never would've felt that way. Just another red flag when talking about Taggart's coaching.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

If what someone on this board said before that he had 16 plays on his wristband that we could run then shame on Taggart. That is a joke. If that's all you can run I don't care who you're playing you cannot start him. I was glad he decided to start him to see what he could do, but goodness if I had known that was the case I never would've felt that way. Just another red flag when talking about Taggart's coaching.

Well, considering we all actually don't know if that is actually true or not, then it's a moot point.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867

So who is starting against Memphis? 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Well, considering we all actually don't know if that is actually true or not, then it's a moot point.

This is the place where moot points come to thrive, i.e. the, "4th down spike call"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

How many do Bench and White have on their wristbands?

• Content Count:  1,516

How many do Bench and White have on their wristbands?

Not a clue. You're the man though!!!!

Someone in another thread, I believe it was cousin ricky (I think that's his user name) mentioned that. I would assume he's not just throwing that out there for fun?? He had to of seen that or heard it from someone. If you want to be a sarcastic ___ then why don't you ask him the question. I'm not saying it's the case or what he said is for sure correct. I said IF that was the case then it was a very, very poor decision on Taggart's part.