• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers Starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I would like Flowers to get the nod again. Can always bring in White as relief

Yeah, that worked so well agains the worst defense in Division I.

Right and White and Bench have been so stellar?

Flowers is the only one with any potential and he should get more than 3 quarters of a look. Maybe without 4 chop block penalties, drops and fumbles from his teammates he can put up a score.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Flowers is the only one with any potential and he should get more than 3 quarters of a look. Maybe without 4 chop block penalties, drops and fumbles from his teammates he can put up a score.

White went in halfway through the 4th quarter and the offense had nearly as many yards in two drives as the entire rest of the game, and the only two touchdowns.

So yes, I think it is extremely clear that White is the more effective QB right now.  

Flowers appears to have more athleticisim than the other two.  But he seems to have little command of the offense and the majority of his throws are floaters.  For a guy that seems to be athetic and strong, his throws are very weak.  I think it is irrationally optimistic to come out of that game convinced that Flowers will end up being the best QB of the three long term.  White is actually younger than Flowers and is clearly the better QB right now.  Not that I'm a huge fan of White, but he gives us a far better chance to win right now.

These guys need to be evaluated on their ability to help us win games, not some imaginary "potential" that is impossible to measure.  If White were a senior then it might make some crazy bit of sense to get someone else experience.  But putting in the least effective QB right now is a very bad idea unless you are getting a bonus for losing games.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think Flowers was ok but certainly not great. He was not helped out by the penalties and drops, similar to White and Bench.

I watched the last drive last night. 21 plays and 75 yards but the drive was plagued by same execution issues in the pass game we have seen all year. Only difference was that we made the plays on 3d and 4th down.

I know Mike White gets credit for the comeback as the QB (and he should), but D'Ernest Johnson came up huge on the final drive against Tulsa and again against SMU.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

I, personally, hope we never see Flowers at QB again.

If what someone on this board said before that he had 16 plays on his wristband that we could run then shame on Taggart. That is a joke. If that's all you can run I don't care who you're playing you cannot start him. I was glad he decided to start him to see what he could do, but goodness if I had known that was the case I never would've felt that way. Just another red flag when talking about Taggart's coaching.

How many do Bench and White have on their wristbands?

Not a clue. You're the man though!!!!

Someone in another thread, I believe it was cousin ricky (I think that's his user name) mentioned that. I would assume he's not just throwing that out there for fun?? He had to of seen that or heard it from someone. If you want to be a sarcastic ___ then why don't you ask him the question. I'm not saying it's the case or what he said is for sure correct. I said IF that was the case then it was a very, very poor decision on Taggart's part. 

Crikey ....I responded to whoever brought it up here. If CR, or anybody else, had said it here, I would have asked him the same thing. It's a legit question. I have no clue how many plays qb's normally have on their wristband so saying he's got 16 didn't mean a **** thing to me without some figure to compare it to. You said it was a joke having that amount on there so I assumed you did have a clue as to how many there normally are .... apparently that was my mistake.

If it was a legitimate question on your part, I apologize. I took it as you were just being completely sarcastic. 

I would imagine White/Bench have somewhere north of 50-60 plays on theirs but that is complete speculation on my part. I'm sure it's done differently from team to team. Some coaches may want every play possible on it while others game plan specifically for that game and only put the certain amount of plays on the band per game. 

I think Flowers was ok but certainly not great. He was not helped out by the penalties and drops, similar to White and Bench.

I watched the last drive last night. 21 plays and 75 yards but the drive was plagued by same execution issues in the pass game we have seen all year. Only difference was that we made the plays on 3d and 4th down.

I know Mike White gets credit for the comeback as the QB (and he should), but D'Ernest Johnson came up huge on the final drive against Tulsa and again against SMU.

The past few weeks I've begun to wonder if Johnson should be getting more carries than Mack.  Mack is more explosive, but Johnson is like a freight train and seems to be able to get positive yards in a pile.  Overall I think he's been playing better than Mack over the last three or four games.

Oh, and Johnson certainly was a big part of the offense the last two drives.  But White converted several key pass plays that I don't think Flowers even has in his limited playbook, much less the ability to execute them.  The last two drives were really successful because there was balance on offense that wasn't there the first three and a half quarters.  SMU was completely dialed into the running game.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

The past few weeks I've begun to wonder if Johnson should be getting more carries than Mack.  Mack is more explosive, but Johnson is like a freight train and seems to be able to get positive yards in a pile.  Overall I think he's been playing better than Mack over the last three or four games.

Johnson and Tice look fresher outthere 

I wouldn't bench Mack, but it certainly does seem like Johnson has some fresher legs. Mack however has better vision and is gaining yards.  It's a good problem to have with 2 young RBs. Hopefully both guys work hard in the offseason and bulk up a little to withstand a 12(13!) game season.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

White went in halfway through the 4th quarter and the offense had nearly as many yards in two drives as the entire rest of the game, and the only two touchdowns.

So yes, I think it is extremely clear that White is the more effective QB right now.  

Flowers appears to have more athleticisim than the other two.  But he seems to have little command of the offense and the majority of his throws are floaters.  For a guy that seems to be athetic and strong, his throws are very weak.  I think it is irrationally optimistic to come out of that game convinced that Flowers will end up being the best QB of the three long term.  White is actually younger than Flowers and is clearly the better QB right now.  Not that I'm a huge fan of White, but he gives us a far better chance to win right now.

These guys need to be evaluated on their ability to help us win games, not some imaginary "potential" that is impossible to measure.  If White were a senior then it might make some crazy bit of sense to get someone else experience.  But putting in the least effective QB right now is a very bad idea unless you are getting a bonus for losing games.

Thank you!  For a while there, I thought I was the only one that noticed that.

Here's the play breakdown on the last drive.  I don't think the improvement was in the balance. It was simply the fact that we actually executed on three 4th down plays.

First Down - Tice rush for 3

Second Down - White rush for 7 (designed pass)

First Down - White sacked for 2 yard loss (designed pass)

Second Down - White incomplete

Third Down - White to Johnson for 20

First Down - White incomplete

Second Down - Johnson rush for 1

Third Down - White to Davis for 8

Fourth Down- Johnson rush for 4

Second Down- White rush for 3 (designed pass)

Third Down - White to McFarland for 8

First Down - Johnson rush for 20 (negated by penalty)

Second Down - White to Johnson for 7

Third Down - White incomplete

Fourth Down - White to McFarland for 14

First Down - Johnson rush for 3

Second Down - White incomplete

Third Down - Johnson rush for 2

Fourth Down - White to Davis (TD)

6 called rushes (1 big gain negated by penalty)

15 called passes (1 sack, 2 forced rushes, 6 incompletes, 6 completions)