• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers Starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I thought he showed good potential

True freshman, 1st start, lousy weather, vs a team who probably knew this was the one game the could win (and I would add... SMU has looked  better with their new QB.  I don't think they would be winnless if they started him early on.)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

For all of you that said, "Start Flowers, how much worse can it get?"  I think you found out.  I understand why CWT started him.  He's looking for one of the QBs to step up an perform consistently and thought, "It's SMU, we can run all over them."  The problem is, if you can't throw at all, then the D can put 8 or 9 in the box, making it extremely difficult to run.

I, personally, hope we never see Flowers at QB again.

I disagree with the last part.  The guy has some excitement there.  But he has at least one year, probably two more before he can perform at the level needed.  He really, really needs to work on his throwing mechanics.  He may never get there, but he could be terrific.

However it should have been obvious even to a lousy talent evaluator like Taggart that he isn't ready to run the offense. 

Everyone says Taggart can recruit.  I'm beginning to have serious doubts.  Maybe we are getting all these "highly ranked" recruits because the other teams aren't pushing hard to get them.  Taggart can't even make good decisions about the players on his own team that should be starting.  How do we really expect him to make good choices on the recruiting trail?

According to the recruting experts, USF has had the best class in AAC. Not sure what you are getting at. Are you questioning the recruiting experts? Flowers is a four star recruit. Considered the #9 rated dual threat QB in the nation during HS. Taggart recruiting Andrew Luck to Stanford, so I trust his recruiting judgements. I just dont think he has learned how to coach up the young players yet. Hopefully, that comes with time. 

LOL  Recruiting "experts"?   The vast majority of the "experts" are guys that don't know enough about football to coach, and they certainly haven't coached college teams.  Even people that work at these places admit they rank players by the school interested in them, not by how they look on tape or in person.  There are lots of teams that are high in the rankings and terrible on the field, and lots of teams good or great on the field with low rankings.

This is a whole other debate, but almost everyone agrees that recuiting rankings are for entertainment purposes only.

I am beginning to suspect we have deluded with unrealistic expectations.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

9-16 2 Tds and 6.6 ypa vs 6-15 0 Tds and 7 ypa

I know the stats, I didn't say Mike white didn't pull this game out. I said he didn't play that much better seeing as he was the incumbent to job anyway. He's older with more experience. Flowers had a death in the family, his first start, and it was a rough one against a bad defense. All I'm saying is that we haven't got much to lose and Mike White does a pretty good job at losing. I'm Mike white has had time to become adjusted to his line and receivers, he SHOULD know where the line is weakest and where his routes are. He should have his timing down with his wideouts and trust if someone may be able to go get the ball. These things come with some time, reps, and exposure. All of which Flowers has not had

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I thought he showed good potential

True freshman, 1st start, lousy weather, vs a team who probably knew this was the one game the could win (and I would add... SMU has looked  better with their new QB.  I don't think they would be winnless if they started him early on.)

SMU scored 13 points against a very mediocre defense that was on the field a lot because SMU's opponents couldn't sustain an offensive drive.  SMU is still bad, fortunately for us.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

I know the stats, I didn't say Mike white didn't pull this game out. I said he didn't play that much better seeing as he was the incumbent to job anyway. He's older with more experience. Flowers had a death in the family, his first start, and it was a rough one against a bad defense. All I'm saying is that we haven't got much to lose and Mike White does a pretty good job at losing. I'm Mike white has had time to become adjusted to his line and receivers, he SHOULD know where the line is weakest and where his routes are. He should have his timing down with his wideouts and trust if someone may be able to go get the ball. These things come with some time, reps, and exposure. All of which Flowers has not had

Mike White is YOUNGER. He is 19, Flowers is 20. Mike White is the better looking QB. His age is part of the reason for his past mistakes. I think he is growing past it. Mike White led us in our final 2 drives and won the game....

Edit, now I'm not discounting QF for the future (as in competing for next season). But it is clear who our starting QB should be for the rest of the season. And I still contend that MW should have had the start in the Houston game, but that's in the past.

Edited by Sipher

Mike White is YOUNGER. He is 19, Flowers is 20. Mike White is the better looking QB. His age is part of the reason for his past mistakes. I think he is growing past it. Mike White led us in our final 2 drives and won the game....

Edit, now I'm not discounting QF for the future (as in competing for next season). But it is clear who our starting QB should be for the rest of the season. And I still contend that MW should have had the start in the Houston game, but that's in the past.

It seems I overlooked the fact that Mike White was younger than QF. As such, I should yield now. Gotta have my facts straight before I interject with opinion. My bad 😳

It seems I overlooked the fact that Mike White was younger than QF. As such, I should yield now. Gotta have my facts straight before I interject with opinion. My bad

I'm not trying to disparage your opinion with mine. But I feel I have a right to voice my opinion, no need to get offended. However, I can't agree with you, the big stat difference is the 2 TD's and the win. I didn't mind what I saw out of QF, he looked much better than I would have thought all things considering.

But to me it's clear he still needs to develop. Mike White also still needs to develop, but he is much further along.

It seems I overlooked the fact that Mike White was younger than QF. As such, I should yield now. Gotta have my facts straight before I interject with opinion. My bad

I'm not trying to disparage your opinion with mine. But I feel I have a right to voice my opinion, no need to get offended. However, I can't agree with you, the big stat difference is the 2 TD's and the win. I didn't mind what I saw out of QF, he looked much better than I would have thought all things considering.

But to me it's clear he still needs to develop. Mike White also still needs to develop, but he is much further along.

Oh I know, I think my tone is coming across wrong here. I meant what I said, and sincerely so, from an analytical standpoint. I should have had all the info before I sounded off. Right now I'm the guy arguing with half facts and I hate that guy :P.

I respect what you're saying, I love me a good counter argument/ varying opinion

Oh I know, I think my tone is coming across wrong here. I meant what I said, and sincerely so, from an analytical standpoint. I should have had all the info before I sounded off. Right now I'm the guy arguing with half facts and I hate that guy :P.

I respect what you're saying, I love me a good counter argument/ varying opinion

Ah, okay. I misunderstood! I think it's safe to say though that we need a better QB coach :/