• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers Starting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Crazy thing is, to me, if we kick that opening drive fg, we run away with that SMU game. Stopping that 4th and 3 play gave them hope.

If we kick that first fg, the last drive is 13-10 and we likely kick a fg on the first 4th down at best forcing an overtime.

One play can change the outcome of a game, especially if that one play can get you points. I think it's pretty fair to say the game would not have played out the same way if the fg was made.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The way I see it, we kick a fg, SMU goes to the sidelines with their heads down with the oh no there goes that feeling again and our steam roll commences.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The way I see it, we kick a fg, SMU goes to the sidelines with their heads down with the oh no there goes that feeling again and our steam roll commences.

The laws of psycho-history say this is much more likely than the hypothesis that we score 3 on the first drive and end the game being down 13-10.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know how many plays Flowers had on his wristband. Maybe a billion.

Anyone watching the game saw how limited the play calling was for him. That's what matters and that's the proof of the pudding. After the very good first series the terrible SMU defense had it figured out and that was the end of much productivity until White came in.

What Flowers did, he did reasonably well.

I wouldn't really say SMUs defense figured us out.  We shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of penalties after that.  Flowers had 6 drives after that, 3 of them included having 1st and 20+ and one of them ended in a fumble.  Thats difficult situations with even an average offense, let alone a bad one.  

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166

Davis fumble also is a huge what-if. I doubt SMU gets beyond 3 points total had that not transpired.

But obviously this is all talk from people who liked The Butterfly Effect.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166

Anyone watching the game saw how limited the play calling was for him. That's what matters and that's the proof of the pudding. After the very good first series the terrible SMU defense had it figured out and that was the end of much productivity until White came in.

I wouldn't really say SMUs defense figured us out. We shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of penalties after that. Flowers had 6 drives after that, 3 of them included having 1st and 20+ and one of them ended in a fumble. Thats difficult situations with even an average offense, let alone a bad one.

I think is the impetus for me wanting to see Flowers again. It's strange to watch an offense get shut out for over 3 quarters and thinking the QB play is decent.

His passing mechanics need some work but eliminate a couple chop blocks, a couple drops, a fumble - what do we really have?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The laws of psycho-history say this is much more likely than the hypothesis that we score 3 on the first drive and end the game being down 13-10.

The loser/losing mentality is powerful.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The loser/losing mentality is powerful.

Yup. A little USF momentum at the end and they didn't have the psyche to make a stand on defense or move the ball on offense.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

I wouldn't really say SMUs defense figured us out. We shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of penalties after that. Flowers had 6 drives after that, 3 of them included having 1st and 20+ and one of them ended in a fumble. Thats difficult situations with even an average offense, let alone a bad one.

I think is the impetus for me wanting to see Flowers again. It's strange to watch an offense get shut out for over 3 quarters and thinking the QB play is decent.

His passing mechanics need some work but eliminate a couple chop blocks, a couple drops, a fumble - what do we really have?

I'm also in the boat of I didn't think Flowers played that bad.  He wasn't a savior, but his performance wasn't catastrophic in the manner some seem to be portraying.  He definitely seemed to have the first game jitters, but his passes seemed much more crisp and with confidence as the game went on.  We just stuck our offense in horrible situations with the 1st and 25's.  Even a great QB has a tough time keeping those drives going.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think it was pretty clear to those who watched the Flowers was running a limited playbook, but then again that is to be expected for a true freshmen (White ran a limited play book in his starts last season too).  My GUESS would be that he had somewhere between 12 and 18 base plays, with the running plays being able to be mirrored.  I think all in all Flowers did about as well as you could have expected given the fact he's very raw mechanically and a true freshmen.  It didn't help that we often put him in bad spots with penalties and turnovers.