• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why can't we get a decent Defensive Coordinator??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We are in the middle of Florida, we should be able to get the best defensive coordinator out there. 

and we have beaches!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Man, bulldozier, I think you're about the only one here that's NOT worried about the O. To get the QB position settled, you have to have a QB that will settle down...we don't have one of those, and partially because the O line won't give him a chance to settle down.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  0

I know it's easy to blame the coordinator... but we have a starting CB who was previously a WR his entire collegiate career... I think that shows you more about the type of personnel the team is putting on the field.  With that being said, I am very excited about the freshman that are on the 2 deep and think with one more recruiting class we'll be very competitive in the AAC.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

This defense is not made to play aggressive. It's a bend, don't break scheme. The only time they play aggressive is around the goal line. Like a prevent defense.

....just like all the great defensive teams of our time <smurk>

Edited by Bulls2k

I'm not concern about the offense. It'll take awhile for the offense to get it right. When they get the QB position settled, the offense will get rolling. The defense is a different story. This defensive scheme is all about read then react, not attack.

More like read and get beaten, what a better way to say you don't trust your players skill levels.  

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

This defense is not made to play aggressive. It's a bend, don't break scheme. The only time they play aggressive is around the goal line. Like a prevent defense.

LOL @ "smurk."  I don't usually get all "spelling and grammar police" on this board, but this one made me laugh out loud. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Wait . . . I thought we were worried a few weeks ago about Bresnahan getting hired elsewhere. This board is so bipolar.

LOL @ "smurk."  I don't usually get all "spelling and grammar police" on this board, but this one made me laugh out loud. 

Easy now :)  , I'm pretty sure I noticed you misspell "winning" as "wining" in one of your recent posts....but I used restraint smiley-lol.gif

Had to laugh on the Urban Dictionary example:   http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smurk

To backhand someone so hard, it injuries the person. Examples would be a busted lip, black eye, nosebleed, or large (bruised) hand print.
That hoe must not know who I am..I bet she'll recognize once I smurk her one good time.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

What about the defensive coordinator at Akron? If you look at his numbers since he took over the defense, it gradually gets better. Has an awesome resume as well. http://gozips.com/sports/fball/2012-13/coaches/index

Edited by bmess6

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Usually in a 3-4 getting pressure is not an issue because you're bringing one or two of the linebackers every pass play. We don't very often and when we have we're not really getting to the QB. Part of that is the D Line has to occupy the OL so the LBs can make plays. Guys are not familiar with the scheme so they are playing slow and thinking a lot. Another part is they are trying to protect the secondary Everyone back there is in their first year or 2 of Division 1 football.

The bright side is that we've played 5 true freshmen on D, Josh Black at LB, Kendall Sawyer at CB, Deatrick Nichols at CB, Devon Abraham at S and tajee Fullwood at CB. Those guys have to get better the next year or two which should allow a more aggressive scheme.

I agree with your post but I think at this point I would rather see them be aggressive and screw up rather than playing a mile off the ball and tackling them 6+ yds down the field. This rush 3 and drop 8 is hard to watch now. I very much like playing the young guys though

Everyone talks about our offense being young, but we really aren't that young on offense outside of RB.  The OLine is veteran and the receivers are veterans for the most part.  

On defense we are young everywhere, and sometimes it shows.